• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2021 -

heidih

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 1:11 PM, shain said:

Matzo soaked in egg and milk, rolled around a filling of cheddar, mushrooms, dill and pepper, then pan fried in butter

These fascinate me.  They're like a matzo crepe.  But refried.

I'm gonna have to try this.  They seem like they'd work well with a sweet filling too -- something with cream cheese?

@CookBot those are super popular here during Passover. Meat or potatoes are the filling of choice. They are a sort of substitute for borekas in how people view them. Which is to say they are served as a more substantial snack at gatherings and as a course during the Passover dinner. 

I don't recall seeing them sweat, but surely it'll work. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

4 minutes ago, shain said:

@CookBot those are super popular here during Passover. Meat or potatoes are the filling of choice. They are a sort of substitute for borekas in how people view them. Which is to say they are served as a more substantial snack at gatherings and as a course during the Passover dinner. 

I don't recall seeing them sweat, but surely it'll work. 

Thanks for the info!  I've gotta try these.  What do people call them there?  And are they ever served with a sauce?

3 minutes ago, CookBot said:

Thanks for the info!  I've gotta try these.  What do people call them there?  And are they ever served with a sauce?

Just fried matzo 😆 (matza mettu'gennet), sometimes matzo borekas. Never served with a sauce, it's somewhat of a finger food.

I can imagine a version filled with sweet cheese served preserved fruit. Maybe a shturdel like version filled with apples.

Israelis like to have new/inventive dishes at holidays, so I'm sure there aren't many versions sweet and savory. 

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

4 minutes ago, shain said:

I can imagine a version filled with sweet cheese served preserved fruit. Maybe a shturdel like version filled with apples.

Yes!  Exactly what I had in mind.  I'm picturing it as kind of like French toast.

• Like 1