• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Southern Foods: Is They or Is They Ain't?

Fat Guy

What kind of frostings are you trying on the jam cake? I have a great recipe for caramel frosting that's never failed me. It's what my family uses on jam cakes (and apple cakes and yellow cakes and, well, even graham crackers :smile: ). I'd be glad to share.

I miss those caramel-covered marshmellows available around the Louisville/Cincy area. I've never tried making homemade marshmellows before...maybe someday.

The beaten biscuits and country ham makes an appearance at pretty much every holiday, btw!

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Yeah, it's a caramel frosting, my mom's recipe (though she presumably got it from some place else). It actually works just fine, I'm just not all that into frosting in the first place, so on the one hand I feel obligated to make it because it's the thing to do, but on the other hand I just leave most of it on the plate.

The ideal situation is to have her make it. And she just happens to be coming to visit for a couple of weeks! Unfortunately she won't be coming directly from Kentucky, so I can't get her to bring ham and/or biscuits.

Can you pee in the ocean?