• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheesecake in NJ

Rosie

The Cheesecake Factory, if anything else, does make very good cheesecakes.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Marc's cheesecakes do sound extraordinary. I've always been a loyal devotee of Maddalena's in Ringoes -- you can find them in local supermarkets -- but I admit Marc's sound like a higher caliber. I like Maddalena's because they are dense and almost crumbly -- I hate that oily whipped feel that a lot of cheesecakes have.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I've been buying cheesecakes from Marc's in Clifton for a few years now. They are delicious! :biggrin: You know besides his wonderful cheescakes he make the most outrageous brownies. His place is just a little storefront on Valley Road in Clifton.

The Cheesecake Factory, if anything else, does make very good cheesecakes.

I'll have to disagree on this but it is based on my one experience. I found it to be overpriced, too dense and heavy and tasted like a frozen cheesecake that was thawed out (which I later discovered is exactly what it is). The wide array of flavors and styles is impressive but to my relatively unsophisticated palate it was mediocre. Zabar's used to make an excellent cheesecake but it ain't NJ and the last time I tried theirs was twenty years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been buying cheesecakes from Marc's in Clifton for a few years now.  They are delicious!  :biggrin:  You know besides his wonderful cheescakes he make the most outrageous brownies.  His place is just a little storefront on Valley Road in Clifton.

i have driven by here a few times but it's so unassuming that i never gave it a thought. this post got me out the door. haven't gotten to the cheesecake yet because i could not resist the brownie. ohmigod. soooo rich. :smile:

i googled this and kept getting listings for a marc's cheesecakes on dean st. in englewood? any relation?

Yes, their brownies are just wonderful!!! I'm so glad you tried it. What did you think of the cheesecake? I think that he (Marc) is associated with the Englewood location. In fact, I'm pretty sure that he is now selling to certain high end stores carrying his brand.

He has so many different times of cheesecake - what kind did you get? :smile:

nizza: the cheesecake kind of rocked my world. i mean, i liked the brownie and all, but then i tried the cheesecake, ya know? wow. i got a small chocolate chip. and it's a very good thing that it was a small. i haven't baked a cheesecake in quite a while but that one inspired me. the layer of chocolate on the bottom, the layer of i-don't-know-exactly-what-but-it-was-mighty-good on the top, the perfect crust. i should hate you because i sense an unhealthy addiction coming on. :angry: i can't wait to try other flavors! :biggrin:

You havent lived until you've had a cheesecake from Michelle Lorie Cheesecakes in Trenton. Heaven. Their blueberry cheesecake, so picture perfect, is beyond heaven.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 2 weeks later...

The best cheesecakes in New Jersey are from Mara's Desserts in Morristown. There is no question, even the star ledger, named it the best in the state, beating out Michelle Lorie among others. Just so good, they have to be tried to be believed!

• 1 month later...
I'll have to disagree on this but it is based on my one experience. I found it to be overpriced, too dense and heavy and tasted like a frozen cheesecake that was thawed out (which I later discovered is exactly what it is). The wide array of flavors and styles is impressive but to my relatively unsophisticated palate it was mediocre. Zabar's used to make an excellent cheesecake but it ain't NJ and the last time I tried theirs was twenty years ago.

I'm more for the silky rather than dense cheesecake myself (and at room temp, not pulled outta the fridge), and I love Zabars. My favorite, though, is my own homemade ones, from my caterer aunt's recipe.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

not NJ-centric, but atkins elegant desserts makes some damned good cheesecake. i don't think they have a retail store, but i think they deliver to the US and canada. a friend has given us 2 of their samplers this holiday season, and i've never eated so much cheesecake in my life.

Edited by tommy (log)