• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobel's . . . (drumroll) . . . pork!

Fat Guy

That's right. Except I don't like T's (porterhouse) because of the wimpy tenderloin bit. But the fat on prime rib and ribsteaks is... Well... It's...

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I loved that picture of Momo, the perfect drool shot!

Where were the veggies? :biggrin:

I think since Ellen is in Mongolia with the camera equipment, Fat Guy has reverted to carnivorism.

Maybe that's the way to go. It's just that I've noticed so many pork recipes recommend apples and such. I wonder if those fruity ingredients mask the flavor of the meat or bring out special characteristics. I'm not particularly experienced at cooking any of these cuts, so I really need a primer. When I cook pork it's almost always bacon.

Fruit is traditionally served with pork because pork used to be much fattier than it is today. The apple or cherry sauce would cut that fat and refresh the palate, I think. Run of the mill pork available these days is much leaner and the fruit isn't as necessary, but it is typically served because it is expected. Of course, Lobel's pork is rich and fatty, and I think some sauteed sweet and tart apples would go very well with most preparations of it.

PJ, I'm sorry to say all our digital camera equipment is currently in Mongolia (seriously), but there are photos on the Lobel's site that I linked to above.

Airline lost your luggage again? :raz:

Yeah, you can find chops that look like that in your local supermarket but obviously it's the provenance that makes these special and worth an arm and a leg.

I did a thick beef sirloin a few days ago using the Ducasse slow-cook method for the first time. Although I wound up slightly overcooking it, this technique is definitely worth experimenting with.

Maybe with a big fat pork chop.

FG, thanks for the pix.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Pork provenance -

"Today, a new U. S. Pork symbol identifies quality pork raised by America's pork producers. It is the hallmark of the world's finest pork in terms of safety, wholesomeness, consistent quality and availability."

export2.jpg

:blink:

"Some people even say that garbage-fed pigs taste sweeter than ones that are grain-fed."

--Orville Schell, "Modern Meat", pp83.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Ssssshhh. A bad thing happened.

Steve's getting some new ones.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Yeah, I entrusted the ribs to a friend who claimed to know how to cook them -- a claim that turned out to be as credible as most men's claims to be skilled at using a charcoal grill.

The tenderloin was great -- for a tenderloin.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)