• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch rocks!

Florida Jim

Each day, I thank the powers that be for the woman I live with.

The food:

A couple of slices of rustic French bread toasted.

On top of the toast is mélange of shrimp sautéed in roasted red pepper butter with some cheese-less pesto added, a few wilted spinach leaves, a little feta and a drizzle of EVOO.

The wine:

1995 Pavillon Blanc du Chateau Margaux:

a very complex nose of talc, under-ripe pineapple, very old and dry marl, spring flowers, resin, light honey, peach, citrus, a touch of cinnamon/

barely medium body, bright flavors that echo the nose but emphasize the earthy/stony elements, smooth texture, crisp, good secondary development, intense and balanced/

extremely long, crisp finish that revisits this wine’s complexity.

There have been times in the past when bottles of this smelled like dirty sweat socks – and though the remnants of that persist, they have developed into all sorts of nearly unidentifiable but captivating smells. The fruit is still bright and elegant but the wine, as a whole, has achieved a new level of interest. Supposedly, a poor year for white Bordeaux – ‘couldn’t prove it by me.

And with the dish, this is spectacular.

About $50, on release.

Lunch rocks!

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com