• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint in the Big City

Varmint

This down home, small town, hick is headed to NEW YORK CITY with Mrs. Varmint from September 25-28 to celebrate my 40th birthday. Although all our dinners are taken care of, we'd love to get together with folks for a Saturday lunch on the 27th. A good ethnic restaurant would be fantastic -- one that would support a sizeable crew. I don't want to do any planning, but if someone wants to take over this one, please do so.

Oh, and no presents are expected, of course. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm game! You should come a few days early and come to the NJ pig pickin!

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

=Mark, yeah, THAT'S what stuck in my mind about the dates. So close. Well, but it's the other end of the week, so I expect to be able to eat again by then. :biggrin:

Not sure about HWOE, but if I can, I'd like to.

Is it too early to try to narrow down the possible ethnicities? Where are you guys eating that night? That might help us figure out a place.

We could do something in Chinatown. Nothing too bizarre, as Mrs. V may not enjoy that. We'll already be doing Japanese/sushi and quasi-Indian (Tabla). Plus, Babbo is likely. We're looking for an experience that is not likely to be found in North Cackalacky.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Will very likely be able to attend.

EDIT: Whoops, Rosh Hashanah. Maybe not.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My wife and I would like to come, but it's still a bit soon to commit for that weekend. We'll get back to you as soon as possible. BTW, add Congee Village on Allen St. to your list of considerations in Chinatown.

Happy Birthday Varmint!

I'd love to come. though that's right around Rosh Hashanah...

It's not just right around Rosh Hashanah, it's the exact same time!!! We've gone to all holy representatives to ask them to move the dates of the Rosh, but we've been denied. They've asked me to change my birthday instead, but the hotel has been paid for on Priceline!! We'll just have to make due!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

varmint,

a gracious and delightful hbty goes out to you. 40 is about when life really starts

so enjoy your new 10-year contract. are we to believe that mrs. v wouldn't

be thrilled to plunge into a large plate filled with duck tongue, goose intestine,

and chicken feet at the congee village? boy, she sure is picky! :raz:

Edited by whosrbud (log)

Ecce homo qui est farba

Happy Birthday Varmint!

I'd love to come. though that's right around Rosh Hashanah...

It's not just right around Rosh Hashanah, it's the exact same time!!! We've gone to all holy representatives to ask them to move the dates of the Rosh, but we've been denied. They've asked me to change my birthday instead, but the hotel has been paid for on Priceline!! We'll just have to make due!

bummer. I guess cross me off the list, then, too bad.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip. Tie one on for me while I'm partaking of the Rosh Hash.

Well, if Dr. Mrs. V won't go for CV, how about Sweet-n-Tart?  This here's the post-New-Years-banquet discussion.  With pictures, even.

Question on the soup you guys had last year at Sweet n Tart -was that on the regular menu? Looked interesting.

There used to be a restaurant at the South Street Seaport named Jade Sea that made wonderful Seafood beggar's purses(not in soup). But I don't know what happened to their chef; dream about those things though.

Although I remember Tai Hong Lau's Con poy dumpling soup as being pretty good.

Sweet N Tart looks great to me! Let's go with it! Who will be our chaperones? We'll be lost little puppies. Plus, Mrs. Varmint has no idea of what she's getting into. She still doesn't quite understand this "eGullet thing."

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I volunteer to chaperone Mrs. Varmint. Even though I am Chinese(at least half of me is), I can understand a certain caution over strange foods. I mean there are certain things I will not eat. My favorite enticing menu item out of a Chinese restaurant was "Boiled Intestine and Things". Somehow, I was never motivated to find out what the "things" were.

Have you been to Chinatown before, Varmint?

If you'd like, I'll keep a count of who we've got coming and do the organizing thing.

if i can make it, i volunteer to assist dumpling.

being chinese also, we can arrange it such that half the menu is fully adventurous (giant clam, served raw with wasabi-soy, anyone?)

and the other half is less so.

there's a new year's dinner i did on the philly board that is a decent split between the two, although favoring the adventurous.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

The beggars purse soup at Sweet N Tart was arranged for in advance by Eddie Schoenfeld. Perhaps when you make reservations you could arrange to have that soup too? (or ask Ed to call for you? :smile: ) It was really really good.

I doubt I'll be able to attend due to RH, but I'll be seeing you a couple weeks later at your house.

Hell, Sam, you're responsible for the cultural side of my trip. You know, "How to Wear Blaze Orange and Look Like a Native New Yorker," or "Singing for Food", or my favorite, "How to Suck Up to Mario Batali with Pride"

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint, if you like after the lunch at Sweet N Tart, we can take you up to Arthur Avenue and do a cannoli hunt. I used to go to school at Fordham and lived in an apartment near there for a short time.