• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint in the Big City

Varmint

Good god, this is a feast! I won't eat breakfast, that's for sure! OK, maybe just a bagel. With lox. And maybe some corned beef hash. And coffee, of course. But that's all! We will definitely walk back to the hotel after lunch. And then go for a jog in Central Park. And then nap. Ahhh, vacation! No children to keep you up. No worries. It doesn't happen often, and I sure as hell am going to make the most of this!

Sounds great, dumpling. Will you be posting a generalized version of the menu in advance? I'll be without any internet connection after 9 AM Thursday. No computers for this boy on vacation. Please PM me your cell phone number, just in case I need to get in touch with you.

Looking forward to meeting all of you. Mrs. Varmint has no clue what's in store for her. I just told her that we're eating lunch in Chinatown on Saturday!!

Thanks for all the hard work on this, Ms. Dumpling!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dumpling, there's a chance we may bring another person with us -- one of Marcella's high school friends who has lived in NY for ages. We probably won't know until that morning, but we promise he won't eat much, and we won't let him get near Elyse's pie!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Sounds great, dumpling.  Will you be posting a generalized version of the menu in advanceThanks for all the hard work on this, Ms. Dumpling!

Are we ordering in advance? I'm afraid.

Oh yeah, and can somebody remind me to buy green tea powder and waterchestnut flour while I'm down there?

Edited by elyse (log)

Don't be afraid, elyse. Dumpling recognizes that we southern rednecks aren't the most adventurous folks in the world. Heck, Marcella doesn't even eat red meat! Thus, offal should be reduced to a minimum. Plus, if Eddie is involved, everything is likely to be fantastic!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If anyone has a problem with any particular food just let me know. Elyse do you have a problem with seafood? I can post the menu if that would help. It's pretty well balanced. Nothing strange(for the novices) but interesting enough(for the jaded).

There are a couple of things in there that require advance ordering that eGullet people had last year and raved about that I thought Varmint might like to try. There would be seafood but also duck, chicken, beef and pork dishes.

If that's a problem Elyse let me know and I'll see what I can do.

duck, chicken, beef and pork dishes.

If that's a problem Elyse let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Yum, yum, yum and yum.

Innards and things from the water (other than duck) or things from the water products make me run away.

Thanks for your concern. :smile: I was just thinking about eGs eating feet and eyeballs and platters full of veins and stuff. :biggrin:

You know, ther are days when I wished I lived in New York :sad:

We'll have to post pictures after to torment -I mean show Marlene the dinner.

Sure, rub it in folks. :angry:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

At this point, you guys should cut me lose. Things may change by Saturday, but I don't want you to be in limbo. If later I find that can make it, and there's still a chance to be added, I will join the group. I'm sure it's going to be a good time.

:biggrin: Spoke to Spencer (the owner) today. Everything is set.

Thanks for getting back to me JosephB and Blondie. I'm counting Blondie in for the moment and if you are able to come JosephB, we'll be able to give you some lobster shells :biggrin:

Final Count:

Varmint and Mrs(and guest?)

Dumpling

Herbicidal

KatieLoeb

MHesse

JeunefilleParis

SuzanneF and HWOE

Elyse(and PIE)

Blondie

Sherribabee

They need to have a count, especially so everyone can get some of the special seafood soup they're preparing.

Elyse, I spoke to Spencer and he's making a special version of the soup with vegetables rather than seafood just for you. That way you'll get to have the special broth and the crepe part of the dumpling that is really nice.

He promised me(on pain of death) there would be enough other things for you to eat in the dinner.

MENU

Dumpling appetizers

Peking Duck

Seafood Beggar's Purse Soup

(special soup for Elyse)

Lobster in Two Styles

Pan Fried Steak in special sauce

Eight Precious Chicken Rice

Eggplant and Minced pork on E Fu noodles

Chinese Dessert

Elyse's PIE