• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint in the Big City

Varmint

Canal Street on the N, W, R, Q (some of these might not run weekends) -- these trains run mostly along Broadway in Manhattan, at least below 49th Street.

Canal Street on the 6 -- the Lexington Avenue Local. Same connecting station, different lines.

(For those who want to mention the J, M, and Z: those do not run through midtown.)

Actually, though, the S that runs from West 4th to Grand Street could also work, if you change at West 4th from an A, C, or E (8th Avenue line) or the F on the 6th Avenue line.

Suzanne, the F to East Broadway works, too. I wouldn't bother with a shuttle to Grand St. unless it happened to be in the station across the platform while I were on the F or V at Broadway/Lafayatte.

As for the N/R/W/Q, I just want to make clear to Varmint that, since he's coming from uptown, it doesn't matter which of those are running because at least one or two will be at all times. And collectively, they're called the Broadway Line on the BMT. (Of course, you know this, but he presumably doesn't.)

Michael aka "Pan"

And collectively, they're called the Broadway Line on the BMT. (Of course, you know this, but he presumably doesn't.)

You're giving away a lady's age. My daughter, who's an adult, looks at us as it we were talking about teradactyls when either my wife or I mention the BMT, or the IND or IRT for that matter. For years after the lines merged under public operation, each retained an identity. I don't think there's any evidence left of those three independant lines.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

It looks as if I'll take the "Lexington Express" to the Canal St. stop. I'll head east on Canal St., turn right onto Mott St, and Sweet n Tart is a couple of blocks down (before it hits a crazy intersection with Worth, E. Broadway & Park Row). Mind you, this is all coming from the maps on my PDA.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

You're giving away a lady's age. My daughter, who's an adult, looks at us as it we were talking about teradactyls when either my wife or I mention the BMT, or the IND or IRT for that matter.

the only thing i know about the BMT is that it's an italian-type sandwich at Subway. presumably named after this artifact of ancient history.

As for the N/R/W/Q, I just want to make clear to Varmint that, since he's coming from uptown, it doesn't matter which of those are running because at least one or two will be at all times. And collectively, they're called the Broadway Line on the BMT. (Of course, you know this, but he presumably doesn't.)

what does BMT stand for?

Broadway Midtown Line?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hey, I don't care if people know my age. That way they'll be able to remind me when I forget.

A frequent topic of conversation when HWOE and I take the subway to Brooklyn is: Which line used to be called what, and where did it go? Please don't get HIM started :wacko::wacko: if he does come to lunch on the 27th (still unsure if he can).

FWIW: the Transit Museum (in downtown Brooklyn) has reopened, and is worth a visit. Great fun.

Completely off topic, but...

Abandoned Stations Website

Extensive archive of descriptions and photographs of unused NYC subway lines, ghost stations, historical data, etc. Fascinating stuff--if you like this topic, don't go to the site unless you have time to spend!

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Completely off topic, but...

Abandoned Stations Website

Extensive archive of descriptions and photographs of unused NYC subway lines, ghost stations, historical data, etc.  Fascinating stuff--if you like this topic, don't go to the site unless you have time to spend!

:smile:

Jamie

There's an abandoned station on the 1,2,3, & 9 line at about 90th street. As the train goes by you can see it all covered in grafitti. Apparently, someone gives a tour of the station -- the only way to access it is by having the 1/9 stop at the platform.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

91 St., bloviatrix.  :biggrin:

Thanks for setting me straight. As you know, there are no street signs in the subway tunnels. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

True. But if you look carefully, you'll see the "91st St." sign in the subway tunnel. Above ground, grates in the traffic islands in the middle of Broadway also used to make clear that there used to be a subway stop there. I think they may not anymore.

Michael aka "Pan"

True. But if you look carefully, you'll see the "91st St." sign in the subway tunnel. Above ground, grates in the traffic islands in the middle of Broadway also used to make clear that there used to be a subway stop there. I think they may not anymore.

Now you have me intrigued. Is the 91st Street sign on the Uptown or Downtown side? I'm going to have to look carefully as the train goes by the "phantom" station."

We had dinner at Sweet 'n' Tart last night. I'm sorry to report that it wasn't our best meal there. There was a wedding party upstairs and that may have drawn off the best chefs. It's also possible that by ordering dishes we didn't know, we ordered dishes we didn't like. For the first time, the almond covered butterflied shrimp were dry and overcooked. They're always been good before. That was a major disappointment. The stir fried turnip cakes, on the other hand, were exceptional and as good as I remembered. This is a stellar dish from the dim sum menu. Those multiple menus are confusing. I'm not a fan of the fruit drinks currently in vogue--they have their own menu here. I'd urge ordering from both the dim sum and the regular menu. A chicken, eggplant and tofu dish in paper casserole with a sour sauce, was just too sweet for our taste and a beef with vermicelli and black pepper casserole had little appeal to the others at the table, although I enjoyed it somewhat. The highlight of the meal was the crispy garlilc chicken. Ed Shonfeld had recommended this dish to me a long time ago, saying it was the best version in Chinatown. This was the first time we tried it and it blew away the other version we loved. the combination of incredibly crisp skin and very succulent meat was incredible. The garlic sauce was flavorful. Use it in moderation, at least at first. This is a must order dish, in my opinion.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.