• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint in the Big City

Varmint

Hell, Sam, you're responsible for the cultural side of my trip.  You know, "How to Wear Blaze Orange and Look Like a Native New Yorker," or "Singing for Food", or my favorite, "How to Suck Up to Mario Batali with Pride"

Welll... really I only wear blaze orange when I'm trying to blend in with the Cheeseheads at Lambeau Field and suck up to Saint Vince. Of course, a blaze orange camouflage coverall is de rigeur when the thermometer drops below negative 50F with the wind chill.

fb8300b4.jpg

Here I am in the very latest in Green Bay Packers home game apparel. Note the way my jaw is craftily tucked into my neck to create the perfect Sgt. Schultz "I know nothing" look that is so popular in Northern Wisconsin. :biggrin:

Seriously, though... have you decided where you want to go for dinner and do you have reservations? I'm sure some of us could help in that regard.

--

Wow, going from Chinatown to the Bronx.  People actually do that??  :wink: Sounds like a great idea!

sounds pretty sweet. especially if there's all kinds of skinned dead animals hanging that you can't recognize.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Seriously, though... have you decided where you want to go for dinner and do you have reservations?  I'm sure some of us could help in that regard.

We're lining up the dinner reservations. We're going very small on that end, looking at this opportunity to spend some time with each other and a few friends. We haven't nailed down the details, but we're looking at Babbo, Tabla, Blue Hill, and March. Babbo reservations have been secured, as have, to my knowledge, Blue Hill. Obviously, if we go to March for dinner, Tabla will be a lunch destination. I also just learned that we'll be arriving in time for lunch on Thursday, so I get to find another destination!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint - how's 12:30 p.m. on the 27th at Sweet n Tart sound?. Then I can drive you up to Arthur Avenue for dessert. I'll try to get the soup dumplings mentioned. Let me know if there is anything you particularly want or can't eat. I'll let you know the menu once I have something of an idea of the count. Please, anyone else, if you intend on coming, post and let me know so I can get a count. If you're a maybe let me know that too.

Is there anything else you or Mrs. varmint need or want to see that I can help you with ?

What other chaperoning do you need?

Herbicidal will you be able to come?

I'm trying my darndest to convince Herbacidal to come up from Philly with me. Perhaps some additional begging and pleading from the masses will make him feel "special" and cause him to commit to said activity with more than three hours notice*? He's quite good at arranging these gatherings, as evidenced by the fabulous Chinese New Year's feast he helped organize here in Philadelphia for about seventy hungry DDC members. There are lots of witnesses. He can't beg off now... :laugh:

*This would be quite out of character for him. Trust me. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

VARMINT BIRTHDAY LUNCH, SEPTEMBER 27TH, SWEET N TART, 20 MOTT STREET, CHINATOWN

People who will be coming so far:

(question mark denotes maybe)

Special Honoree - Varmint and Mrs Varmint(2)

Dumpling and friends(3)

=Mark(1)

SuzanneF(1) ?

JosephB and wife(2)?

Blondie(1)?

Slkinsey(1)?

Herbicidal(1)?

Katie Loeb(1)

Varmint - how's 12:30 p.m. on the 27th at Sweet  n Tart sound?.  Then I can drive you up to Arthur Avenue for dessert. I'll try to get the soup dumplings mentioned.  Let me know if there is anything you particularly want or can't eat.  I'll let you know the menu once I have something of an idea of the count.  Please, anyone else,  if you intend on coming, post and let me know so I can get a count.  If you're a maybe let me know that too.

Is there anything else you or Mrs. varmint need or want to see that I can help you with ?

What other chaperoning do you need?

Dumpling- 12:30 should be fine as our dinner reservations that night aren't until 8:00.

Mrs. Varmint will try most things, but she does have this peculiar "problem" of not eating red meat (and I still married her!!!!). Don't worry about that, however, as there will be plenty of options for her in this type of setting.

Please don't go to too much trouble planning this. It seems as if we'll have a fairly small crowd, so for the most part, we can just play things by ear. I just wanted to make sure that this was a "go." Thanks a ton.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

jeez, see what happens when i leave this thread for 4 hours?

uh, my way of making sure i make it is not to commit to it until last possible second. but i have reserved that day for varmint luncheon personally, just trying not to really commit. but okay, guess i'll commit to coming.

if i plan something, something will happen so that I have to change it.

so i keep track of things, try and keep that date open, and follow what others are saying+doing, so i can jump in at last minute and still go.

the menu planning shouldn't be hard. lemme know if u need help.

Sweet and Tart is the one on Mott that's a split level dining room, right?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

jeez, see what happens when i leave this thread for 4 hours?

uh, my way of making sure i make it is not to commit to it until last possible second.  but i have reserved that day for varmint luncheon personally, just trying not to really commit.  but okay, guess i'll commit to coming.

if i plan something, something will happen so that I have to change it.

so i keep track of things, try and keep that date open, and follow what others are saying+doing, so i can jump in at last minute and still go.

the menu planning shouldn't be hard.  lemme know if u need help. 

Sweet and Tart is the one on Mott that's a split level dining room, right?

Yes. Thanks for commiting, herb.

Varmint- What has been your and Mrs. V's experience with Chinese food? The really neat thing about this restaurant aside from the fact that the cooking is wonderfully flavorful and subtle is that they have a lot of interesting things you really can't find on menus elsewhere(things Mrs. V might actually eat).

They have fruit and vegetable juices and shakes. Hot and cold "soups" like a hot almond sweet soup. They have a menu online if you want to take a look at it and get an idea, or you can be suprised, which is cool too.

Special Honoree - Varmint  and  Mrs Varmint(2)

Dumpling and friends(3)

=Mark(1)

SuzanneF(1) ?

JosephB and wife(2)?

Blondie(1)?

Slkinsey(1)? 

Herbicidal(1)?

Katie Loeb(1)

I've got singing on the afternoon of the 27th, so can't make it to lunch. That's OK, though, since I have plans to take Varmint squirrel hunting in Central Park earlier. :wink:

--

Our experience has been very, very limited. Chinese restaurants here have the usual Sino-American fare that you'll find across the country. From what I've heard about Sweet n Tart (and what I've seen on their menu), they have lots of interesting dishes that would not be too bizarre for us bumpkins. I'd generally shy away from dishes that are primarily offal or have very pungent (i.e., "sweat socks smell") aromas.

Thanks again.

Oh, I assume we're talking about the restaurant and not the Cafe.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint, this may be a stupid question, but does Dr. Mrs. V eat pork?

(it will be perfectly all right for you to respond with, yes, that is a stupid question.)

She does not, but again, please do not worry about what Mrs. V eats or does not eat. She eats dead animal flesh if the dead animal had fins or feathers. This isn't an ethical or moral issue. It's really one of taste -- she lost the taste for beef, veal, pork, lamb, rabbit, goat some time ago (before I met her). If the dish has some red meat in it, she'll eat around it if she has to.

I hope I'm not off as callous with respect to my attitude regarding my wife's eating habits, as nothing could be further from the truth. I thoroughly respect them. However, this is the way she approaches every meal -- she doesn't want others to worry about her preferences. If there's a good seafood dish, let's get it. Same with chicken, duck and vegetables. However, if there's great pork, beef and other mammalian dishes, let's get those, too!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hi all...been lurking for a while but recently registered for the site. I've never posted, but last night I had a restaurant experience for which I must thank you all. :smile:

On the recommendations of posters in this thread and in others, my partner and I went to Arthur Avenue last night and ate at Roberto's which (who knew) was a 15 minute #12 bus ride from my apartment in Inwood in Upper Manhattan. Man, am I glad I paid attention.

We had the shrimp w/fennel and arugula appetizer, along with the caprese di bufalo which had roasted peppers and mushrooms. Both were amazing--I think a good way to start in a good Italian place is to taste their mozzarella as is to see what it's like. This one more than passed muster.

For the entree, I had the fusilli in cartoccio and my partner had the veal scaloppini on the specials board which had mushrooms, cheese and asparagus along with some sort of dryish thinly sliced meat. You know how some food makes you smile? Once in a while, a great dish will make me laugh. I was so giddy trying this veal dish that I forgot to figure out what that thinly sliced meat was. As for the fusilli it was, as promised, ethereal. My only regret was that I was too full to sop up more than half of the liquid with my bread. :cool:

Dessert was great too--I had a tartuffo and my partner had a small chocolate souffle.

Oops, I have one more regret. They were out of the zucchini flowers starter by the time I got there. This would have been perfect for me--I grew up in the South where a summertime local delicacy was what we called "french fried squash blooms." Oh well, I'll have to save that trip down memory lane for a return trip.

Bottom line, the service was efficient and unhurried, the atmosphere was fun (three birthdays complete with three renditions of what is evidently the traditional house birthday song), and the visit from Roberto left me speechless. Varmint and everyone else, I wouldn't miss this place for the world. Definitely my kind of place--unpretentious and welcoming with amazing food--easily the best Italian I've ever had including a week in Italy. Thanks to everyone for letting me know about it!

:biggrin:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Dumpling and friends(3)

=Mark(1)

SuzanneF(1) ?

JosephB and wife(2)?

Blondie(1)?

MHesse(1)

Herbicidal(1)?

Katie Loeb(1)

Something has come up and it looks like I won't make this event after all, but hopefully between the NJ and NC pig pickin's I'll still get to meet everyone!

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Dumpling-

We're still looking forward to getting together with people at Sweet n Tart, but we'll not be able to go to Arthur Ave., as that is now on our Thursday itinerary. Sorry for the last minute change of plans.

So, will a couple of hick tourists be able to find this place? Is there a subway station nearby?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

VARMINT BIRTHDAY LUNCH, SEPTEMBER 27TH, 12:30 p.m. , SWEET N TART, 20 MOTT STREET, CHINATOWN

Dumpling and friends(3)

SuzanneF(1) ?

JosephB and wife(2)?

Blondie(1)?

MHesse(1)

Herbicidal(1)?

Katie Loeb(1)

Looking forward to it, Varmint. Because it's a Saturday it may be very busy so I'm provisionally reserving a table for ten and can change if the number changes.

There is a subway that will take you to Fordham road which would put you about a little bit of a walk to Arthur Avenue. Probably better to get driven or take a cab from the subway. Arthur Avenue is not a bad area but the streets that you might have to walk thru to get there...not a good idea I think.

I'm not sure of my schedule yet on the 25th but if I can I can drive you over (or you can be Perlowed).

Will PM you re details of dinner on Saturday.