• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What the World Needs Now is Lots More Mennonites

fresco

En route to the Stratford Festival yesterday, we ventured deep into Mennonite country west of Toronto. On the way back, after a really pretty awful production of The Birds (Aristophanes does not meld well with Andrew Lloyd Webber) my daughter spied a place called The Best Little Pork Place.

A vegetarian for many years until 9/11, when she happened to be working close to the World Trade Center, she is now, again, a confirmed omnivore, and insisted that we stop.

The place was run by a Mennonite family who have been raising champion pigs for years, and their business name was no idle boast. We walked away with a load of smoked sausages, summer sausage, smoked ribs, bacon (sliced and slab) and more. We've tried the summer sausage and the bacon--both fabulous. They tasted of extremely happy, smokey pig.

I have to add that any food I've tried that originated on a Mennonite farm--free range chickens, cheese, beef, lamb, eggs--has been among the best, if not the best, of that food I've ever eaten. They are also reputed to be pretty good cooks.

What are your food experiences with Mennonites?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

In amish country in pa. there;s an abundenc of amish style cooking. Plain n' good cooking focusing on quality ingredients and simple recipe's based on most of their germanic backrounds. Lots of sausages and meatloaf, various potato dishes with an acompaniment of very fresh home grown vegtables. Though good it's very heavy eating and tends grow old after 4 or 5 meals in a row so plan short stays. :raz::raz::raz:

Fresco, that's too funny. I was just there a few weeks ago. Gotta love the big pig decorations outside! I actually discovered it last year on my way up to Stratford.

Hope you bought some peameal. It's the absolute BEST I've ever tried. Even better than St. Lawrence. Had just the right amount of saltiness, without going overboard, and it stayed juicy and moist even with some browning. Their bacon is equally amazing.

Kansas is home to a lot of traditional Mennonite communities, and is probably one of the major Mennonite centers in the United States (as Pennsylvania is to the Amish). Every week, the farmer's market in Lawrence (my current place of residence) is full of Mennonite food, primarily baked goods, but it runs the gamut from vegetables to meat to eggs. While the food is really good, especially the baked pies, I wouldn't consider it to be other-worldly or knock-off-your-socks good. Many of my best friends are Mennonites (some have the last name Yoder, which is probably the Mennonite "Smith" or "Cohen" or "Zhang"), and their families are from traditional Amish-like communities. From what I can gather, nothing seems to set their produce quality above other good organic farms.

Much peace,

Ian Lowe

ballast/regime

Edited by ballast_regime (log)

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

Awhile back, we overnighted in Kitchener on the long haul from Chicago to Montreal, and happened onto the market on a Saturday morning. It was great: many, many Mennonite (Fun to say) stalls. I have to agree with Ian's assessment of the pies: they were absolutely outstanding.

We didn't have enough time or trunk space to make off with everything we wanted, but! oh God, that peameal sandwich. Yes, even better than St. Lawrence Market.

I was glad that I had the sense to ask the Mennonite girls if they minded me taking a picture of them at their stand. Boy, did I get a resounding "No!! We don't do that!!"

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

"Lawrence (my current place of residence) is full of Mennonite (s)"

Hmm. Current home of many Mennonites, former home of the author of Naked Lunch. It sounds like eGullet heaven.

Peameal is a delicacy which reduces many Canadians to hopeless, sentimental mush. It is pork loin cured in a sweetish vinegar brine, rolled in cornmeal and fried in slices. Usually served on a bun, with lots of mustard, eh.

Out past Allentown, Pa. is a Mennonite farm called Meadowview Farms that specializes in heirloom chiles, tomatoes and various herbs. Over the past decade it has become home to the Bowers Chile Festival.

Here are some of the varieties of tomatoes offered...

heirloomaters.jpg

And Chile Peppers...

peppers.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Fresco:

William S. Burroughs' influence is rarely felt nowadays, even if his former partner still lives here and throws very weird after-hours parties. In fact, Burroughs' old house is a 3.2 bar that is the closest bar to the University of Kansas, so many underage drinkers first learn about high BACs there. (One of my friends just bought it out, and is planning on making it into a different bar.) Lawrence is nice if you like college towns, but it's far from eGullet heaven, as are most places in the Midwest. I'm planning on moving to NYC in approximately a year, but I will miss the homeliness of the Mennonites' pies.

Much peace,

IML

b/r

Edited by ballast_regime (log)

--Chuck Close

"In fact, Burroughs' old house is a 3.2 bar"

This is a new one on me--3.2?

Just googled it--hard to believe that such things exist. Isn't the concept about as flawed as "light" cigarettes?

Ballast Regime--Best of luck with your move east. Career? School? Itchy feet? All of the above?

Edited by fresco (log)

What's peameal?

Fresco's got it right

Peameal is a delicacy which reduces many Canadians to hopeless, sentimental mush. It is pork loin cured in a sweetish vinegar brine, rolled in cornmeal and fried in slices. Usually served on a bun, with lots of mustard, eh.

Also often served with a slice of "Canadian Cheese". One of the few instances where processed is superior is superior to real (sorry for the heresy on a Mennonite thread).

Was transported in barrels with peameal in early to mid-1800's.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

Fresco:

Keep in mind that many conservative states still have a lot of blue laws that make buying liquor hard after certain hours and on certain days. Kansas is one, so many people go to 3.2 bars instead. Also, the liquor license for a 3.2 bar is way cheaper.

My girlfriend and I would like to move after we finish school. Not so much career as it is a life-decision. We want food, culture, museums, cultural and racial diversity, etc. NYC would seem to have it all.

Much peace,

IML

b/r

--Chuck Close