• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fat Guy

Bacon Aphorisms

189 posts in this topic

A day without bacon is like a day without bacon.

And that is a good day to die.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It is a far, far better bacon I eat than I have ever eaten. It is a far, far better slab of bacon I go to than I have ever known.

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

Forget the ounce of prevention. A pound of bacon will cure what ails you.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

And that is a good day to die.

Amen.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Bacon and eggs stalk our land like... two giant stalking things.

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

Breakfast, lunch, dinner of champions. And great for a snack.

The genius, wit, and spirit of a nation are discovered in its bacon.

Bacon makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor (and fat, too).

Acorns were good till bacon was found. But acorns cooked in bacon grease are a man's mistress.

A little bacon inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in bacon bringeth men's minds about to religion.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It don't taste like chicken.

"I only eat one piece of bacon,

two at the most --

After three I'm under the table,

after four I'm under the host."

** apologies to Dorothy Parker**

"Who dies in youth and bacon dies the best."

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Living well is the best bacon.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Though I walk through the valley of

the shadow of bacon, I will not fear; pork fat art with me.

A BLT without the lettuce and tomato is like a fish without a bicycle.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to refrain from frying bacon.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

A BLT without the lettuce and tomato is like a fish without a bicycle.

Um, dude, a BLT without lettuce and tomato is a BACON SANDWICH! Smear some mayo on that bad boy and press down the Wonderbread, that's good eats.

what the world needs now

is bacon

sweet bacon

no not just for some

but for everyone :smile:

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Hardly more thoughtful nor heartfelt eGullet contributions have ever been wrought than those I find here. Just the topic title hitself is quite provocative ain't it.

Must add, this evening I used Niman Ranch no-nitrate, erm, nitrITE bacon (experimentally) with green beans, you know, a green beans with bacon and onion trip and WOW was that good bacon.

Bacon is as bacon does, uh huh.

Edited by Priscilla (log)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c.

● observing #TacoFriday since 2010 ● preoccupied with road trippin' ● always ISO of the next #truckgram

Twitter Instagram  Orange Coast Magazine

Quote -

Butter that Bacon, boy!

H . Simpson

I love animals.

They are delicious.

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some bacon in the portion.

Francis Bacon

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Must add, this evening I used Niman Ranch no-nitrate, erm, nitrITE bacon (experimentally) with green beans, you know, a green beans with bacon and onion trip and WOW was that good bacon.

Well, as Arthur C. Clarke once said, "Any sufficiently advanced bacon is indistinguishable from magic."

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Giampiero
      Is there anyone in the forum that can suggest me how to cook this kind of Portuguese sausage?

Many thanks in advance!!!!
    • By yoboseyo
      Novice at meat-curer looking for advice. I'm making 2 pancettas this season.

The first one I used the over-salting technique. What I didn't expect was that the salt would all turn into brine in a day, and I expected that I could scrape away the excess salt at the end. Instead, I left it on the brine for too long, and the result was too salty. The meat firmed up in 2 days so I should've taken it out then.

For my second one, which is currently in the fridge, I used the equilibrium salting technique. I added about 100g salt for 3.5kg meat. The problem now is that it's not firming up seemingly at all! It has been 9 days in the fridge, and flipping it every day or 2. After 6 days, however, there was no pool of brine left. I put the meat in a folded over but unsealed bag. Did the brine evaporate or resoak into the meat?

Any advice on how to continue would be appreciated.
    • By davidcross
      I made some Lonza and cured it for 2 weeks.

In the drying chamber (70% humidity and 55F with gentle air flow) it's only been 4 days but it's already lost 30% of its pre-drying chamber weight. Normally that can take weeks.

Is that normal, and is the meat ready?

Thank you
    • By davidcross
      My first Guanciale is looking good. It smells clean, fresh, and is firming up nicely after about 3 weeks in the curing chamber at 65% humidity and 55F. First piece slices nicely and it seems great.

I've a question…

On the outside are some tiny white/straw-colored flecks (ignore darker flecks - this is some remaining Thyme from the cure).

They do not penetrate the skin and I am not sure whether it's mold or salt coming out or fat or what.

Thoughts? Likely safe?

Thank you

• By liuzhou
      I have received a wonderful gift from a lovely friend.

A whole home cured, dried pig face. I call her Cameron.

This will be used slowly over the winter. I'm dribbling thinking about the ears stir-fried with chilies Hunan style. The cheeks! The snout!  I'm ecstatic. 

Snout

I'm watching!

I'll follow up with with how I use it, but for the moment I'm just content watching her watching me as she hangs in the wind on my balcony. It's love!