• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A bushel of tomatoes

Dave the Cook

And since elyse has deserted me for fifi, would you be interested in a sink-side orgy? (No, I have no shame.)

Archie:

I guess they didn't call it the Love Apple for nuthin'!

Now, go look up Suvir's recipe and Think About Baseball.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

And since elyse has deserted me for fifi, would you be interested in a sink-side orgy? (No, I have no shame.)

I said nothing of the sort! I've been called a slut on this site before.

Try a sofrito - dice some onions and tomatoes (peeled/seeded/chopped) and soften in olive oil as follows: cover the bottom of a large skillet with 1/2" olive oil and caramelize 3 onions - when light golden, add 6 tomatoes and cook until their liquid has evaporated and they have started to melt into the onions. It's all done over quite low heat and will take about an hour or so to finish - at the end you can add herbs or garlic, and season. I use it plain over pasta or as a pizza topper.

I'll be happy to replace anyone at your kitchen sink - as a matter of fact, in honor of this post I am eating a tomato right now, in the middle of the night...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

1. Green with envy, ovah here. :wacko:

2. Make a silky, tomato and cream soup, subbing the 28oz. can of toms and 2 cans tom jce with your homegrowns, and add rough basil and sauteed red onion at the end. Makes enough soup to start a dinner party of 12, and a big jar to send to your favorite local elderly person. Delectable.

3. Take some great color photos, and triple matte with green, yellow and widest white, then hang in your kitchen. Almost as good as artificial sunshine bulbs in the winter, and a worthy garden trophy without involving expensive taxidermy.

this is my favorite late summer too many tomatoes recipe (be patient w. my measurements I implore you)

whole lot of tomaoes (like 5 -6 lbs or so over ripe is better than under ripe. seeded & peeled)

8 cloves of garlic

3/4 cup honey (orange blossom or flowery not buckwheat)

3 hot peppers

1/2 cup pomengrante molasses

handful dried rose petals

& a wee bit saffron

Cook all of this down for a really long time till i & it becomes black sticky messs.. use to coat chicken or lamb & bake slowly in oven till soft & tender garnish w. toasted sesame seeds, fresh pomengranet seeds & chopped fresh mnit

serve with

cous cous made with veg stock, slivers of preserved lemons & olives

steamed summer squash w. mint & cilantro

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

this is my favorite late summer too many tomatoes recipe (be patient w. my measurements I implore you)

whole lot of tomaoes (like 5 -6 lbs or so over ripe is better than under ripe. seeded & peeled)

8 cloves of garlic

3/4 cup honey (orange blossom or flowery not buckwheat)

3 hot peppers

1/2 cup pomengrante molasses

handful dried rose petals

& a wee bit saffron

Cook all of this down for a really long time till i & it becomes black sticky messs.. use to coat chicken or lamb & bake slowly in oven till soft & tender garnish w. toasted sesame seeds, fresh pomengrante seeds (if avail I use dried sometimes as well) & chopped fresh mint

serve with

cous cous made with veg stock, slivers of preserved lemons & olives

steamed summer squash w. mint & cilantro

Such a sexy dinner start off with some grilled red peppers tossed in anchovy/garlic infused olive oil, creamy goat cheese w. zaatar flat bread & olive

end with vanilla gelato w. fresh fruit & honey or baclava & frozen grapes

add a nice rose & eat outside lying on pillows

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Speaking of jealous, it will be a month before I see a red tomato; just small, hard green balls at the moment.

Maggie, I had a garden fresh cherry tomato today! Just one, mind you, but there is hope. And, I have one tomato on my early big variety that is looking not quite so hard and little. And, they do not ripen any faster if you stare at them.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"