• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread Salad

Dana

I have garden fresh tomatoes and basil, and I want to make a bread salad. Should the bread be slightly toasted? Make a vinigrette, or just evoo for dressing? Greek olives? Cucumbers? Garlic and green onion? or red onion?

HELP!!!!

Stop Family Violence

The bread salad I make at the restuarant where I work is as follows

Lightly toasted bread ( tossed with some garlic oil before toasting)

Balsamic reduction

Ex Vir Olive oil

Capers

Caper Berries

Thinly sliced red onions

grated Parm

Fresh Tomatoes

Fresh Boccacini (sic)

Fresh Basil

Salt?pepper

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

I love bread salads and make then quite a bit now.

I have had both toated and un-toasted bread and I prefer the un-toasted with the crusts on, most recipes tell you to remove them.

Besides tomatoes, I add pretty much whatever is in the house (onion, peppers, olives, etc) and lots of herbs.

Currently my favorite dressing is just a simple EVOO and red wine vinegar.

The only thing I really don't like in it is cucumbers.... :wink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

For panzanella, the bread should be untoasted, preferably day-old or slightly stale.

Generally simpler is better, if you can possibly do it.

Basically,

a loaf of slightly stale Italian bread (whether you leave the crust on or not is up to you, I like it with crusts because it has more texture)

RIPE tomatoes

EVOO

garlic

torn fresh basil leaves

salt

pepper

a sprinkle of red wine vinegar

thinly sliced onion if you like

Those are the basics. You can embellish this with anchovies, capers, olives, cheese, scallions, roasted peppers, etc. But really, the point of the salad is the interplay between the bread, the tomatoes, the olive oil and seasonings. Less is sometimes more. :wink:

Soba

I would. Post please. And... Oh Yeah... and in eG recipes, please. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Warm bread salad

2 slices white bread

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds

1 teaspoon chopped ginger root

1 small red onion, peeled and minced

Table salt to taste

1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder

1 dried red chili, roughly pounded

1 cup corn kernels, cooked

1 cup diced peppers, cooked

Few tablespoons desicated coconut

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons cilantro, minced

1. Cut the bread into small equal size pieces. Set aside.

2. In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and ginger. When the mustard seeds crackle, add the onions, salt, turmeric powder and red chili. Sauté until the onions are transparent

3. Add the bread, peppers and the corn kernels to the skillet. Mix well and cook for 2 –3 minutes.

4. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with the coconut and cilantro. Sprinkle the lemon juice

5. Serve warm

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

For panzanella, the bread should be untoasted, preferably day-old or slightly stale.

Generally simpler is better, if you can possibly do it.

Basically,

a loaf of slightly stale Italian bread (whether you leave the crust on or not is up to you, I like it with crusts because it has more texture)

RIPE tomatoes

EVOO

garlic

torn fresh basil leaves

salt

pepper

a sprinkle of red wine vinegar

thinly sliced onion if you like

Those are the basics.  You can embellish this with anchovies, capers, olives, cheese, scallions, roasted peppers, etc.  But really, the point of the salad is the interplay between the bread, the tomatoes, the olive oil and seasonings.  Less is sometimes more.  :wink:

Soba

Soba

you can make a panzanella for me any day!

:wub::wub:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I was once stuck on a Greek Island without any basil. Apparently basilico (as they call it there) were not sold at markets, as everyone had them in the backyard. My Athenian friends, however, had none at their weekend house, so I was forced to find an alternative. I ended up using fresh thyme, which grew like weeds everywhere. The result turned out quite yummy, and is now my favorite type of bread salad.

Here's how you can try it....

You will need really ripe tomatoes (cut into big chunks), garlic, calamata olives, onion(sliced), thyme, and best-quality Feta (optional). Oh yes, and day old bread.

Take a couple thick slices of day old bread, cut a clove of garlic in halves and rub the bread all over with them. Discard the garlic. Tear the bread into big chunks, crust and all, and throw them into a large bowl. Throw in the tomatoes, and use both hands to mix them together forcefully, to allow the tomato juices to moisten the bread. Then add the rest of the ingredients except the feta chesse. Throw in the leaves from one or two sprigs of thyme, as well as a couple small sprigs in tact for decoration.

You could make the red wine vinegar first then add it to the salad (never use mustard in this dressing), but I don't. I just add the vinegar and salt and give it a toss, then olive oil, a final toss, then top with crumbled feta. I sometimes do it without the Feta. If you use it, make sure it is the best quality you could find. There's nothing worse than poorly made Feta to ruin an otherwise perfectly good dish, so when in doubt, leave it out!

A bite of this sald instantly transports me back to the Greek sunshine.

enjoy,

Pim :cool:

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste