• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Taste for the Stage

Dear David: I remember that, while food has been the basis for your life's work, your degree is related to theater. A couple of questions:

a) Have you managed to keep a relationship going with "your other love", and

b) (because the subject comes up here from time to time) What dining spots would you recommend in the NYC Theater District for someone unfamiliar with the area?

(Ah, food and theater, wonderful appetites to have!)

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Ah, the theater!

Well.....first of all......my background in theater serves me every day when I do TV! And it's not just the performing thing--because I wasn't really a performer. It's more the director thing, the conceptualization thing. I love making Tv food segments into small works of art (or at least trying!)

There are also a couple of screenplays in my drawer that I'm really excited about. As soon as I get a chance to polish 'em up.....

Maybe the most important thing I do with my theatre background.....is get my daughters interested! They are every bit as amazing in thie film and theatre criticism as they are in their restaurant criticism! Sarah, the younger, and I saw three versions of The Winter's Tale last fall: Stratford, England, Washington, D.C., and NYC. She recites speeches from the play.....and our idea of a good time is reading act three of Hamlet together!

OK. Theatre district eats. Esca. Chimichurri Grill. Virgil's BBQ. Utsav. Churrascaria Plataforma. Those would be my top picks!