• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Park and Orchard

tommy

this it the only thread that i've found on this place. i'm pleased (i think) to start it.

ok, first question: why is it so popular?

second question: why do they have a list of 1000+ wines (or whatever it is) and still serve them in tiny little glasses? at least they did when i ordered a bottle of red burgundy which, granted, wasn't top dollar, but still deserving of something better than the tiny white wine glasses that were presented.

third question: why were the soft shell crabs (white wine/butter sauce) and half crispy duck (half a crispy duck) so freakin' good?

fourth question: why do i need a mountain of rice with my entree?

fifth question: why was the basil dressing for the salad so tasty?

sixth question: why is it that as much as i should hate this place, i'll probably return?

this place is paradoxical. i think that i should go to Shakers to give it some thought. i'll be right back...

Edited by tommy (log)

No answers, but here's the restaurant's Web site: http://www.parkandorchard.com/index.html

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

the occasional typos on their wine list annoyed me as well. not to mention the insane amount of fonts and sizes on the menu. (e.g., VERY SPICY) i think the place deserves a better presentation. in fact, their online presentation is much more reasonable than their printed menu, imo. sounds like nitpicking, but really.

the "tasting notes" throughout their wine list were very helpful. something that every restaurant should add, regardless of their selections. bravo.

Edited by tommy (log)

If you're likw me, and I expect you are, you'll return a few times and then the waiting, seating, and crowding will get to you. The wine list is the best, but because of its lenght it almost makes it impossible to make a selection. The food is well prepared and the portions are huge (the rice) at a very reasonable prices, but every time I think about going there I remember the 45 min waits I've endured. I know you can call and they'll tell you when to come, but that doesn't always work. I wish you could make a reservation. Its been a while since I've been there and hadn't thought of it, so maybe its time to return

.Btw the crabs are great because of the butter (large amounts) in the sauce

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

If you're likw me, and I expect you are, you'll return a few times and then the waiting, seating, and crowding will get to you.

no, i won't return if i have to wait. that didn't occur to me. i stopped in last night on a whim, and was seated immediately. i certainly don't wait in line for food.

zagats gives it a 23. :blink:

also, i didn't find the huge wine list to be *too* much of a problem. the first section is $25 and under, and then they have another section for $30 and under. i think that's a fantastic idea. as i started opening the book, i thought "you know, they should have a smaller list with just some basic wines on it"...and they did. they're almost as smart as i am. beyond those 2 sections (which i'm sure is where 98% of people order from), the selections had pretty good tasting notes, and the bottles were listed by region. it was pretty easy to navigate, surprisingly, even with my limited knowledge of wine.

Edited by tommy (log)

second question:  why do they have a list of 1000+ wines (or whatever it is) and still serve them in tiny little glasses?  at least they did when i ordered a bottle of red burgundy which, granted, wasn't top dollar, but still deserving of something better than the tiny white wine glasses that were presented.

Dunno. But at least now I know to BYOG when I go to senselessly slough it around as a Burg winebar.

Thanks.

Edit: Man, that website is old, old, old.

Edited by jparrott (log)

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

this place is paradoxial. i think that i should go to Shakers to give it some thought. i'll be right back...

I thought that we had some sort of unspoken/unwritten ban of the above named establishment for at least six months... :laugh:

Tommy - I couldn't agree with you more on this post...there is nothing that I can put my finger on as to what makes this place appealing(other than as mentioned the elaborate wine list), but it seems to indeed stimulate me enough to return...I myself have been there for dinner probably 3 or 4 times in the past several years normally before an event at the Meadowlands...and I'm sure there will be more visits to come...

A.D.S.

this place is paradoxial. i think that i should go to Shakers to give it some thought. i'll be right back...

I thought that we had some sort of unspoken/unwritten ban of the above named establishment for at least six months... :laugh:

Tommy - I couldn't agree with you more on this post...there is nothing that I can put my finger on as to what makes this place appealing(other than as mentioned the elaborate wine list), but it seems to indeed stimulate me enough to return...I myself have been there for dinner probably 3 or 4 times in the past several years normally before an event at the Meadowlands...and I'm sure there will be more visits to come...

I love it when the NJ bad boys start getting in touch with their feelings and stuff... :cool::laugh::raz:

Edited by Kim WB (log)

for real? the specials looked pretty much the same as they were the other night. i realize they don't change them very often, but it didn't seem out of date. that's more than i can say for a lot of restaurant websites!

for real? the specials looked pretty much the same as they were the other night. i realize they don't change them very often, but it didn't seem out of date. that's more than i can say for a lot of restaurant websites!

Well the list of wines by the glass lists a 1998 supermarket chard and a 1997 white zin, and the wine list on the site can't possibly be up to day--hasn't changed since the one I downloaded from the site two years ago.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

You have to love P&O. You can show up in shorts and they are happy to see you. You can eat like a pig and still have a ton to take home. Their perogi are pure genius. Basil dressing, same. So they have typos on the menu- it's all part of the laid back charm. We all accept we're not there for the decor-- but that Rock Shrimp -- yummmmm.

You have to love P&O. You can show up in shorts and they are happy to see you. You can eat like a pig and still have a ton to take home.  Their perogi are pure genius. Basil dressing, same. So they have typos on the menu- it's all part of the laid back charm. We all accept we're not there for the decor-- but that Rock Shrimp -- yummmmm.

i don't think the place is terribly unattractive. i know some do, though. i don't like taking food home, so that's not a big point for me. the service was pretty good. the runner was a nice guy, and didn't give me the old "who got the duck" routine. he always offered fresh pepper, and cleared the plates as necessary. sounds small, but that kind of thing goes a long way.

I don't get it either. Why is a restauant that reminds me of an airplane hanger or high school cafeteria so popular? I was there once and never felt the need to return.

That pretty much summed up Ken's sentiments about this place; which we finally tried with a friend about two or three years ago. Actually, Ken described the ambiance (!) as "1950s diner."

We showed up when the placed opened, so there was no wait. Service varied between rushed (couldn't wait to get you to the next course) and "disappearing server." Although we don't mind varied options, this menu didn't seem to be very focused - it was all over the place, to the point of being overwhelming. (Decisions, decisions...) And the wine list was fun to pore over...

Portions were huge, and we took lots of leftovers home. The one thing I remember most about the entrees, though, was how HOT they were - temperature-wise. It was difficult to enjoy them in the restaurant; but they were much better the next day when we could control the temps ourselves.

After reading about this place for years, the actual product proved to be disappointing. All we can say about it now is, "Been there, done that." Oh well... Too bad.

• 2 years later...

Made it to Park and Orchard this evening and really enjoyed the food. It had been a few years since I had been there last....For appetizer got the chinese dumplings with a real tasty peanut sauce...then the salads arrived whih were delicious with that basil dressing...For entree I got the blackened tuna and my dad got the blackened shrimp, both came with great sides...I highly recommend this place, real tasty food and a cool atmosphere!

this it the only thread that i've found on this place.  i'm pleased (i think) to start it.

ok, first question:  why is it so popular?

second question:  why do they have a list of 1000+ wines (or whatever it is) and still serve them in tiny little glasses?  at least they did when i ordered a bottle of red burgundy which, granted, wasn't top dollar, but still deserving of something better than the tiny white wine glasses that were presented.

third question:  why were the soft shell crabs (white wine/butter sauce) and half crispy duck (half a crispy duck) so freakin' good?

fourth question:  why do i need a mountain of rice with my entree?

fifth question:  why was the basil dressing for the salad so tasty?

sixth question:  why is it that as much as i should hate this place, i'll probably return?

this place is paradoxical.  i think that i should go to Shakers to give it some thought.  i'll be right back...

There is a thread somewhere in the eGullet archives.

I think your questions are answered by you in your post and certainly in other posts in this thread.

Basically--P&O is quirky or offbeat in their whole approach to dinning.

They have a certain uniqueness in this aspect. There are countless restaurants in the tri state area that adhere to the accepted standards of fine dining.

I always thought of P&O as a very good diner with a superb wine list.

The menu is all over the map no matter what your craving you probably can find it here with the dishes executed in a range from decent to quite good.

(one does not go out of the way for the food here--one goes out of the way for the "broad selection" of food options).

One could go out of their way for the wine list--not only its range but more importantly for the wine prices--they are in many cases more than just fair.

The wine service is casual (think service in a really good diner) so unpretentious as to be..well..unpretentious. I believe they are "saying" hey we have some great wine let's not worry about fancy stemware let's just have some fun eating and drinking. Good food great wine no stuffiness-- what could be better?

Atmosphere--don't worry about it --it's loud, fun (reminds me of the late "America" in Manhattan a few years back or maybe Ernies on the West Side).

If you can't let your hair down and relax and join in--then this place is not where you should be.

Much as I hate no reservations policies--I see the point here. P&O is a place you don't necc plan to go to for a night of fine dining--it is a place you go to (same as a diner) that same evening-"Hey why don't we go out tonight!" It is the answer to --"gee i am not sure what I am in the mood for but I am starving!"

They also have a sort of appeal to the common man (and woman) people who do appreciate good food and wine but don't have the means or don't want to spend the money to dine and drink fine wine in those restaurants where one finds fine wines!

If people continue to try to compare P&O to "typical" fine dining establishments (save for the wine list maybe) then people will continue to scratch their heads and wonder--Why is this place so popular?"

In short-they have carved out a very unique niche--the concept works (or the non concept).

I wouldn't fo there that often but--hey I am gettin hungry (it is lunchtime here and not sure what i am in the mood for--too damn late to get a reservation anywhere good...wouldn't mind a nice bottle of wine................say I think P&O is open for Lunch! )

There is a thread somewhere in the eGullet archives.

I think your questions are answered by you in your post and certainly in other posts in this thread.

that post is over 2 years old. i *am* the egullet archives.

haven't been back to P&O surprsingly since then. a good place to remember for a mid-week stop, however. i just hope they have upgraded their stemware.

did you go for lunch?

..For entree I got the blackened tuna and my dad got the blackened shrimp, both came with great sides...

Please specify the sides. Were they the brown rice & the squash?

Admittedly, they are very good, but after the first half dozen times one does grow a bit weary of them.

Just curious to know if they've changed their sides.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

that post is over 2 years old.  i *am* the egullet archives.

Was going to point out the same thing. Well put, Tommy.

As for the stemware, why is it that this place, which is touted for its wine list, has cruddy stemware?!?

Btw, I think JohnL's comment that I always thought of P&O as a very good diner with a superb wine list really hit the nail on the head. Whenever anyone asks me about P&O, I find myself fumbling through a whole bunch of comments--that at least is a legitimate way to summarize it!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

You got it..the sides are rice with wheat berries and the other side was a mixture of squash, carrots, and sweet potatoes (got the info about the second side from our waitress)

..For entree I got the blackened tuna and my dad got the blackened shrimp, both came with great sides...

Please specify the sides. Were they the brown rice & the squash?

Admittedly, they are very good, but after the first half dozen times one does grow a bit weary of them.

Just curious to know if they've changed their sides.