• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey Burgers

Basilgirl

Adding a healthy dollop of plain yogurt to ground turkey keeps the burgers really moist, as does cramming them with chopped veggies, like onion.

I like to do a Greek/Turkish style burger--I add chopped onion, dried currants, parsley, salt and pepper, cinnamon, and coriander.

• 6 months later...

I've had a request for turkey burgers, which I have never made. I've gotten some good flavoring type ideas from posts here but I'd like to know what kind of ground turkey is best. I've never bought it and I don't have a meat grinder and so will not be able to grind my own. Also I will be cooking them on the stovetop, and I don't have a grill pan. What's the best way to cook them? Should I sear them, cook them over slow low heat, or what?

Occasionally, I'll mix it up with some sesame oil, five spice powder, minced green onion and salt & pepper. It makes a pretty tasty turkey burger. But I have to agree, I do like chicken burgers better.

Heinz 57 Sauce is also pretty good in either turkey or chicken burgers!

Sorry, Dean, I was too famished to take the time with the chicken. Maybe next time.

I mixed ground turkey with an egg, some diced onion, some crushed garlic, worcestershire sauce, an herb blend I found rattling around the cabinet, and lots of S&P. Added a little EVOO to the mix too. Cooked in a pan with plenty of EVOO over medium-low heat until completely cooked through. Topped with cheese and sauteed mushrooms, peppers and onions. Success! A not-bad turkey burger. They'll be going on the menu again.

Make em Thai Style. Use this recipe:

http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r563.html

You could do it with 100 percent turkey but I like to do it half ground turkey and half ground pork. If you do it with 100 percent turkey do it half ground turkey breast and half ground turkey (with dark meat, etc)

Serve with coriander chutney or hoisin sauce on French bread.

i2031.jpg

i2032.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 4 months later...

After seeing the photo of the Cheddar Turkety Burger in Gourmet recently I have developed a craving for one. Does anyone have a good recipe? Gourmet's looks a bit too simple. I love a good hamburger but any well prepared lump of ground, fried meat tastes good and variety is always fun.

It seems to me that a bit of filler might be needed for the texture as the meat might tend to be a bit dry, then again maybe T.B.'s are strictly for the cholesterol cursed and not to be eaten by the rest of us. Any thoughts?

OK, I finally found a great turkey burger recipe from Lynne Rosetto Kasper which is unfortunately not on her web site that I could find. I got it from her weekly newsletter, Weeknight Kitchen, which is great and you all should sign up. Anyway, you take some onion, garlic, a handful of grape tomatoes, S&P and saute in olive oil; mix in with the ground turkey and a little white wine. Stuff with a chunk of cheese before cooking. Without a doubt the best turkey burger I have ever had.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

• 3 weeks later...
OK, I finally found a great turkey burger recipe from Lynne Rosetto Kasper which is unfortunately not on her web site

I found it with a Google search:

Kaspar Super-Stuffed Turkey Burger Recipe (scroll down)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

In addition to the usual suspects of finely chopped garlic, an egg and fine bread crumbs for binding agents, a little EVOO, bit of Worcestishire or dollop of smoky BBQ sauce, salt and pepper to taste, I like to add chopped fresh oregano, chopped fresh thyme, chopped fresh green onion or chives, and finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (about 2 T per lb of meat). Makes for a different tasting burger.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I generally enjoy most of Rachel Ray's recipes... I tend to watch her shows as often as possible, but I will admit it is more for the Rachel Ray than the recipes within....

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide