• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers Markets

Today at Union Square:

Eggplants

Green and Yellow Zukes

Beets

Onions

Dill

Corn

Apricots (the last of the season)

Green Peppers

My shoulders are aching from lugging all this stuff home on the subway.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 1 month later...

It's Autumn and the pickin's are slim-

Green beans

Organic sweet red onion

Garlic

Shallots, big and fat!

Fuji apples

Locally harvested wildflower honey

From the German woman who sells baked goods and home-canned goods: A weird onion bagel...the bagel was pretty boring (needed salt) but was "stuffed" with a carmelized sweet onion relish that was awesome.

Also got an apple strudel and a delicious linzer tort "bagel" which was a weird format for such a great spice "cake". The linzer "bagel" was pungent with spices and utterly delicious...God bless her! :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

At Union Square on Saturday:

Honeycrisp apples

Acorn squash (3 for $2)

Yellow onions

Brussels sprouts

Rosemary

Parsley

Radicchio Treviso

A bag of tiny tiny potatoes from a man selling many varieties of tiny tiny potatoes. I don't remember what they were called, but I ate some last night roasted with olive oil and salt and they were yellow and sort of creamy and almost meaty tasting; boyfriend compared them to chestnuts.

Huge cauliflower. The woman next to me as I was buying it commented on its beautiful color.

Takoma Park, MD:

A bushel of apples for applesauce, assorted varieties, heavy on the Braeburns

Apple cider

Two dozen eggs

Pak choy

Butterhead lettuce

A jalapeno

Broccoli

A red bell pepper

Garlic

Green tomatoes, fried up last night using a combination of Jaymes' and Cook's Illustrated recipes

Beautiful green beans

A bottle of habanero honey mustard from the bee man

No gourds or pumpkins

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Today's CSA delivery from Full Belly Farms (near the Bay Area):

Beets

Buttercup Squash

Eggplant

Red Russian Kale

Onions

Braising Mix

Tomatoes

Red Radishes

Last week we got some terrific Yukon Gold potatoes; we've also been getting great turnips every other week or so. I am SO behind on my squash! We eat and eat it-it's always terrific-but they are sending us a few large squash a week. It looks great in my kitchen counter.

• 2 weeks later...

Takoma Park, MD:

Pink lady apples are finally in. Ahhh.

Some Braeburns

Red-leaf butterhead lettuce

Hothouse cucumbers

Two smallish butternut squash

Two small red bell peppers

On the way home I stopped by my friend's place for some fresh sage off of her plant.

Yesterday at Cabrillo Farmer's Market in Aptos:

18 huge oysters. 2 pounds of beautiful white mushrooms. A parsley plant. A pumpkin pie. A piece of chocolate for my six-year-old buddy. 18 eggs. 2 pounds of perfect green beans, which were turned into green bean soup with lemon basil-butter, from the Tassajara cookbook. Fantastic.

Last week: Betty Van Dyke's dried apricots. Mmmm.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

One of the three rules of the eGullet Club should be that everyone is required to carry a digital camera to all farmer's markets and on all culinary expeditions; in order to record and then post pictures of all appealing, interesting, and/ or unusual foodstuffs and locales.

I wanna see everything and everywhere that's being described.

Edited by hillbill (log)
Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

I keep meaning to take my camera to the market but forgetting to do so.

What are the other two rules of the eGullet Club?

Complete eGullet Club rules (including addenda)

Rules of eGullet Club:

1. You always carry a digital camera and photogragh and upload everything eGullet.

2. You do not talk about 'eGullet Club'.

3. When someone yells "Stop" or goes limp, or taps out, the eGullet is over.

4. Only two guys to an eGullet.

5. One eGullet at a time.

6. No shirts, no shoes.

7. eGullets go on as long as they have to.

8. If this is your first night at 'eGullet Club', you have to eGullet.

mp3 version of the eGullet club rules

Edited by hillbill (log)
Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Yesterday morning, Dupont Circle market, DC, with Foodgeek in tow:

Spaghetti squash

Young ginger

Butterhead lettuce

Broccoli raab

Two dozen eggs, one brown one white

the Saturday Notting Hill Gate farmers' market got me:

a pumpkin

ruby chard

delicious small Egremont Russet apples with their heavenly sandpapery skin

lavender and apple sponge square (breakfast)

wanted to buy beautiful Brussels sprout sticks but knew I wouldn't use them (out too much this week)

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Friday @ W. 97th st. in NY

8 pounds assorted apples - Rhode Island Greenling, Macouns, Winesap, and many others I can't remember. If it's tart, I bought it.

Concord Grapes - for sorbet

Broccoli Rabe

Carrots

Garlic

Loaf of French Walnut Raisin bread

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I bought the largest damn cauliflower I've ever seen. Now, I'm going to slice it up, toss it with some EVOO, salt and pepper and roast. Yummy.

Also some more apples - I buy apples from Locust Grove, whom Dan Barber referred to in his Op-Ed piece in Wed's Times. They didn't know about the mention until I told them. Also bought some pears from them. (I plan to make an apple-pear crumble)

Finally, a challah. I'm going traditional at shabbat dinner tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

Cornucopia2.jpg

Everything alive in this picture came from the market in Pleasanton, CA. Except the onion, I think that was from Safeway and I figured the basket needed an onion. The cats are Persy [L] and Grapey.

Walt

Edited by wnissen (log)
Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Nice, I haven't made it down to the Pleasanton market, how does it compare to the SF ferry market?

Sorry to say, but I haven't made it out to the Ferry Market. The one in Pleasanton is 15 minutes from my house and open year round, so they tend to get my business. There's an excellent mushroom lady in Pleasanton, who typically has six or seven kinds, including pristine Chanterelles and delicious oyster. She also has dried at very attractive prices, like US$10 for a sandwich baggie of morels. The produce is good overall, but not spectacular. I'm still waiting to get a tomato that is as good as homegrown. However, when the season is right, I have been blown away by the Brentwood sweet corn, asparagus, green beans, peaches, pears, and strawberries. Worth a stop if you happen to be near Pleasanton between nine and one on a Saturday.

And, of course, we're quite fond of the kittens they have up for adoption. :)

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

• 1 month later...

The Winter Farmer's Market doesn't have as many vendors as it does in it's heyday during the Summer, but here's what I got this weekend:

Organic garlic

2 HUGE heads of cauliflower (Roasted Cauliflower, here I come!)

(They also had HUGE heads of what looked to be purple cauliflower, but I passed)

Sweet red onions

Gala apples

Baby spinach leaves

Locally produced honey

And two pieces of spiced Linzer Tort from the German woman who sells baked goods, as well as a bag of her raisin scones.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver