• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Bulli Reservations Topic

Sorry Tarka, I shouldn't have suggested that, it was maenat to be tongue in cheek. Jordyn, this information was in the public domain. If they really wanted to go to El Bulli, they would have found out the date easily enough.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Sequentially makes sense, just got our confirmation for late August. We'd offered dates in April, May, July and August, so I guess they fill from the start first, and pushed us to our latest date since they have fewest reservations that late in the season.

It gets hot in August, but since neighboring Roses, the closest place to stay, is a beach resort and many Europeans take their vacation in August, I would expect demand for reservations to be high then.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 4 months later...

Matthew, I would say because:

Apparently it's a singleton.

Cocktail is offering it to a limited audience.

Most people have made their August plans.

The restaurant is not easy to get to.

Believe me, the restaurant is inundated with calls from people hoping for cancellations.

Matthew, I would say because:

Apparently it's a singleton.

Cocktail is offering it to a limited audience.

Most people have made their August plans.

The restaurant is not easy to get to.

Believe me, the restaurant is inundated with calls from people hoping for cancellations.

Robert covered the major reasons. I wonder how many of our members could arrange their schedules or afford to be at El Bulli that evening. There are reasons someone may not want to take a reservation offered by a stranger and even better reasons why a stranger might not want to offer his reservation to a stranger on a message board. I don't know cocktail and I have no reason to assume this not on the up and up. However, I would advise both cocktail and the member who takes the reservation to be sure the reservation is changed to the new name. Cocktail should protect himself against the abuse of his good name, and the taker should guard against the possibility the reservation is not honored. Whoever takes the reservation should call the restaurant to be sure his name is on the list.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

OK, sorry I had posted this on the UK boards thinking to attract replies from people not necessarily already planning a trip to Spain and it's taken me a while to realise it had come here...the reservation is for two, and it's at 8pm on Monday 18 August.

And I should add, I only put it on egullet rather than giving it back to the restaurant because I thought it would be nicer for someone really interested to go rather than just someone with too much money and a bit of luck. Clearly I've become overly attached to this reservation over the six months I've nursed it for and am seeking a good home for it.

Cocktail, my caveats were purely abstract and not meant to cast doubt on your offer. It's for your own sake and protection against having your name associated with "no show" that I suggest the name on the reservation be changed if El Bulli permits that. I can well understand your attachment to this reservation. I suspect you may feel more like an organ doner than someone giving up a pet for adoption. We should all appreciate it that you come here looking for a deserving diner.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

If the reservation is still available, I will take it.

I had a reservation two years ago that I had to miss, and have been terribly distraught about it ever since. I live in Barcelona, so can definitely make it. You can send an email to jordi@foodlover.com (I tried to send a PM or an email via the board but was unable to)...

Would love to share stories about other restaurants in town if anyone is interested!

Jordi.

As eGullet was the midwife, or unofficial broker here, we'll expect a post on the meal as our cut. :biggrin: Enjoy yourself ginger chef. We look forward to your posts not only on El Bulli, but for reports from Martin's kitchen as well.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

• 3 months later...

Someone else recently inquired about reservations at El Bulli for the next season. I have emailed them and their first response suggested I contact them after September, which I did. A recent response to specific date requests was as follows:

RESERVATIONS 2004

Apreciados Señores,

Due to the extraordinary demand that we are receiving for 2004 we are surpassed and without options to find a solution in most cases.

We will try to give you an answer as soon as possible but we are obliged to explain you that the management of all the requests will be complicated and slow to go on with.

If at the end we can not find a solution for your request you can resend it one month before of an available date for you and we will revise if there are changes that permit us to find a solution. In that case we will contact you to revise together the option again.

Please accept our sincere thanks for your interest.

Atentamente,

Luis García

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

P.S. For my wife and I this will be a return trip from 2 years ago. This time we will also hit Arzac in the Basque area. How far ahead should we start arranging resto reservations to avoid disappointment?

:biggrin:

Many thanks,

Mark E.

Mark, what part of the year will you be there? Your best shot at el Bulli, if you don't get a table by e-mail, is to phone a day before, or the day of, that you can go. Sunday night is the best night to call at the time of the year the restaurant is open every night (summer time).

el Bulli is the only restaurant in and near Barcelona that presents this problem. I would, however, have your resevations in place before you leave. I can't imagine anywhere being booked day after day a month in advance. There will be odd times when a restaurant may be booked up somewhat in advance such as Hispania in Arenas de Mar for Sunday lunch or Can Fabes or some spots in Barcelona Saturday dinner. Can Majo for weekend lunches in beach weather, etc.