• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imported buffalo mozzarella & pizza

MatthewB

I just let it sit in cheese cloth over a bowl. But generally there's no problem.

Someone mentioned goat cheese. Chevre with minced fennel and anchovies makes a great pizza.

Thanks.

I'll do the cheese cloth/bowl "technique" (w/ domestic fresh mozz) & give that pizza another try this week.

I think I'll do a goat cheese pizza, too. :biggrin:

(And truly thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Once again, I'm pointedly reminded that we learn little from success & we learn so much from failure!)

With a domestic fresh mozz that has been stored in water, is there a way to reduce the moisture without ruining the cheese?  (Squeeze, let it sit out for a while, or what?)

I have found that there is a significant difference in the moisture content just after one day of sitting in the fridge. And I leave mine in the liquid.

--

With a domestic fresh mozz that has been stored in water, is there a way to reduce the moisture without ruining the cheese?  (Squeeze, let it sit out for a while, or what?)

I have found that there is a significant difference in the moisture content just after one day of sitting in the fridge. And I leave mine in the liquid.

Difference in what direction? :smile:

MatthewB, i've made pizza many times with fresh mozz without any problems. Many times i don't bother with a pizza stone, just some thinly rolled pizza dough, some fresh tomatos from my garden, some olive oil, oregano, some garlic, and thinly sliced fresh mozz right out of the water(or brine). No draining, no squeezing. Maybe it's because i don't put tons of cheese on, but always a decent amount. I'm pretty sure it's always been domestic, not imported bufalo, but don't give up. Fresh mozz tastes goood. :biggrin:

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

sorry to hear about your disaster! :biggrin:

oops meant :sad:

I have done the same thing, but since I don't have tiles mine was on a baking sheet and the water leached out onto the pan giving me a very soggy crust. Since then a friend and I have experimented, draining it for different periods with different size slices, adding it at different points during baking, etc and have come to the conclusion that a good non water packed mozarella just works better. :biggrin: Though if we really want to use it , we slice it very thinly, drain it for about an hour and then add it for the last minute of baking.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Difference in what direction? :smile:

Tightens up the texture. Makes it less watery.

If you're going to eat the cheese "straight" it makes a huge difference in taste and texture to eat the cheese on the day it was made without ever subjecting it to refrigeration.

--

2.  Drain the mozz, slice it, & let it sit out for about 45 minutes to an hour.  (I only let it sit out for about 20 minutes & didn't slice it.)

A brilliant idea.

:rolleyes:

Noise is music. All else is food.