• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gumbo in the Burbs: Last Minute Invite

1/2" curls of red bell pepper.

Archie, I was with you all the way, until this.

1/2" Curls? Were you being poetic describing the appearance of the red pepper cut in short thin strips or do you actually curl them, a la carrot curls?

I use one of those eyelash curler thingies that looks like it escaped from the "cure" scene in A Clockwork Orange.

Seriously, if you take thin slices (radially oriented with respect to the stem) from the shoulder of a bell pepper, they look like curls.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'll bring some extra treats as always - maybe some purple ranch dressing. I'll be on the lookout for some fresh okra at the Farmer's Market.

Also, could you get a vase ready for me Maggie? I know it's inappropriate to bring flowers as a gift without a vase, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Time to go clean the 10 inch maple saplings out of my gutters :angry: .

Archie:

Dunno, Buddy. Maybe: For clarity: half inch strips? But I'm a sucker for poetry, so I prefer the curls.

Dean:

Vase is ready. Thanks for the warning, oh Perfect Guest. (No way am I going to have everything weedfree by tomorrow.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I won't be able to make it this time. Previous plans with the girls were finalized today for tomorrow afternoon. You guys are going to have a blast.. sorry to miss it.

Fresser--thanks for the transportation offers, though. Very kind.

What should I bring besides Aurora and her two smookies? :raz:

Baba Ghanouj?  Hummous?  Jay's Oke-Doke?

Well..why not get with Lady T, and bring her too?

Fress...You chose...all three are good with me! Or, if you like, just bring some good crusty bread.

Nerissa: :sad:

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Mes amis:

Does anyone need directions? I think you all have my phone number...if not , shoot me a PM.

I will be meting Sue at the station unless I hear from Fress.

Off to make buttercream. Manana.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Funny...I never care about the stack of dishes too much if my eG friends have contributed to producing it. I'm convinced I've gained three pounds tonight (The Stephanie Plum waistband test) but y'know? Tomorrow is another day.

And I received insights like: er, the private life of Pierre Boulez and what a Wedgie is. (Thanks, Fresser...and no, my husband isn't jealous.)

Here in the Heartland hosting a party means that you won't have to buy or cook any food for a week, such is the generosity of your guests.

My devilled eggs went down fast...thank you Sparrowgrass, the eGull from MO I've never met, but who still managed to send me beautiful eggs from her henhouse. Egg yolks are orange? Go figure.

I know I'm going to overlook and forget some contributions, so forgive me folks. You brought so much Great Stuff.

The ineffable Lady T. brought , in addition to two pans of the best cornbread I've ever eaten (Yellow cornmeal rocks!) and her sparkling wit, three bottles of the Lindeman's Bin 65 Char, whcih is a great pairing with gumbo if your friends don't suck it up before dinner! She also brought a terrific Beaujolais...can't remember the name and I've too tired to pick through the recycle bin. Plus, an assortment of hot sauces and file powder.

Guajolote is his own personal answer to World Hunger. I gave him some devilled eggs, some gumbo and a piece of cake. He contributed: A gorgeous bouquet of lilies. Beet salad. Beet greens...yum. Pickled mushrooms. Crab claws! A bag of snap peas I'm saving for myself. Luscious cherries. What else, Dean?

Aurora, the Mod with the Mostest, brought the biggest pan of Dirty Rice I've ever seen. Three ham hocks. And, in her Goddesslike train, the two most delightful five year old boys I've ever met. Charming lads.

And the Fresser! Two loaves of delicious bread (love the sauerkraut loaf! And being a University of Chicago dude and all, he could give me both the theory and the practice of Wedgies! To have lived this long and not known about Wedgies... I've led a sheltered life.

Wish you all could have been here. You could actually come en masse , I have so much delicious leftover food.

Off to grab a handful of cherries....

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

And the Fresser!  Two loaves of delicious bread (love the sauerkraut loaf!  And being a University of Chicago dude and all, he could give me both the theory and the practice of Wedgies!    To have lived this long and not known about Wedgies...  I've led a sheltered life.

Chicks dig that. :cool:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Wow, 3 trips to Warrenville and we're only a week into summer.

That was one hell of a mess we left. Thanks for the cleanup.

You forgot to mention Lou's quesadillas. Someday we'll teach him the wonders of spatulas.

I brought the Beaujalais - it was a 2001 Broilly (sp?). You forgot to mention my biggest contribution - the Clifton Chenier album. Thank god 6 of the 8 of us liked it (bonus points to who can guess who didn't).

Oh yeah, and the Sazeracs - I didn't like the first sip but it kept growing on me. I was very sad that I could only have a half of one. Next time I will definately bring my designated driver along.

Another oh yeah - that was a tasty cake.

Gumbo was awesome - I forgot to bring any home

:sad:

:blush:

I'm sorry. It's tough to think about cleaning up when a body's that full of food and wine and good cheer. At the end there, it was tough to think about anything but a nap. Lord, but that was good, Maggie! Many, many thanks!

Anyway: *sniffle* Will do better about cleanup next time. I promise.

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Anyway: *sniffle*  Will do better about cleanup next time.  I promise.

Oh no you won't! House Rule: Guests don't do dishes! ( The only exception is my father.)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

My god, sauerkraut bread.  Sounds great!  What's it like?  What do you like to serve it with?  Can you share the recipe?

Ian

Fresser bought the Sauerkraut Bread at a Polish bakery on Milwaukee and I think he said Lawrence. He said he liked to go there to flirt with the pretty young Polish girls who worked at the counter. This was not surprising, in fact Maggie previously had bestowed the name "Flirtacious Fresser" upon him.

The bread was very good, although I only ate half a piece because I was so stuffed. It would make a great Reuban

My god, sauerkraut bread.  Sounds great!  What's it like?  What do you like to serve it with?  Can you share the recipe?

Ian

Fresser bought the Sauerkraut Bread at a Polish bakery on Milwaukee and I think he said Lawrence. He said he liked to go there to flirt with the pretty young Polish girls who worked at the counter. This was not surprising, in fact Maggie previously had bestowed the name "Flirtacious Fresser" upon him.

The bread was very good, although I only ate half a piece because I was so stuffed. It would make a great Reuban

Aye, I purchased the sauerkraut bread and a Rayoviec bread (I guess a kind of villager loaf) at a sparkling-clean bakery at Foster & Milwaukee Avenue. If you head to the Jefferson Park CTA station, either the 56A or 270 buses will get you there.

Indeed, there were several fine tchotchkeles behind the counter that made fine (diabetic) eye-candy. Next time, I'll try out my rudimentary Polish on them.

"Yak sze masz, Baaby!"

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

That was one hell of a mess we left. :sad:

Yet another awsome party at Maggie and Lou's!

Yummy deviled eggs -- the boys ate those up. They really loved the quesadillas. I followed behind them and finished off the remaining one that one of the twins bit the top off of a put back on the plate...or was that you, Fresser?

BTW, Fresser and Guajolote, thank you so much for the transportation. Complete with School House Rock on the arrival and deluxe sleeping accommodations on the departure. Smooth ride.:blush:

Delicious gumbo. Delicious corn bread, sauerkraut bread, beets, beet greens, crab -- oh, and forgive me if the dirty hopin' john kept giving in both it's hot in, hot out and magical fruit aspects.

The Sazeracs packed some powerful punches. I'm glad I stopped after that first one and move over to the gin and tonic setup.

The cake was very good.

The boys had great time with the bong paddles, and the wrestling match with Fresser in the living room (great sound effects, boys)...just send me the bill.