• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gumbo in the Burbs: Last Minute Invite

We will have way too much gumbo for two people. Or even eight people. So: Why not help us out, sit in the garden, count the fireflies and talk about roux?

Of course, red beans and rice, hush puppies and strong mixed drinks are included.

We'll post maps, directions, etc. This is very last minute casual. If you feel like toting a six pack or making potato salad, coleslaw or chess pie, (or just showing up hungry,) please come.

Children welcome. Newbies welcome. This will be very, very, casual.

Saturday, June, 28th. If you don't have a wedding, graduation, shower or other June commitment planned, come on over. Late afternoon? Fourish.

(And sleepover opportunities exist for city folk)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

:biggrin:

Oh Lord. Oh yum. Let me check my calendar and I'll be back to you. If things work out, I'll see your red beans and rice and raise you a good big pan of cornbread. Then we can argue about whether the cornmeal should be white or yellow, and whether there should be any sugar at all -- when we're done with the arguments over roux.

A pajama party too? I can hardly wait to see Fresser's negligee...

At that rate, we should be done arguing by about next Thursday, July 3. Maybe.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Hey,

I would love to come but I am tepid maybe (not in desire, but in complications). I will be carless as Gautham will be driving to Toronto (and henceforth I will be white knuckled) on Friday. Have afternoon plans downtown with friends. Might possibly come if I could score a ride.

Fried okra, drool.... gumbo? :wub:

Maggie, you know the way to my heart!

Place: Warrenville, Illinois....25 minutes west on 88.

Time: Late afternoon...Fourish

Nerissa...we can meet a train, no problem. Or, as things develop, I'm sure an eGull with wheels would be happy to give your lovely self a lift.

Oh Fresser, where art thou?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Place:  Warrenville, Illinois....25 minutes west on 88.

Time:  Late afternoon...Fourish

Nerissa...we can meet a train, no problem.  Or, as things develop, I'm sure an eGull with wheels would be happy to give your lovely self a lift.

Oh Fresser, where art thou?

As long as I can wear sensible shoes this time, I'm there. :laugh:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I would love to come. I will have my little smookies (the twins) with me. We will head in on the train. Fresser, if you can find it within yourself to get us at the Metra station, I would be much obliged.

If it cools off, I will make a pecan pie. If it doesn't, I will bring Dirty Rice or Hopin' John, or perhaps I will make Dirty Hopin' John. Hmmmm. I will ease up on the spices.

I would love to come. I will have my little smookies (the twins) with me. We will head in on the train. Fresser, if you can find it within yourself to get us at the Metra station, I would be much obliged.

If it cools off, I will make a pecan pie. If it doesn't, I will bring Dirty Rice or Hopin' John, or perhaps I will make Dirty Hopin' John. Hmmmm. I will ease up on the spices.

As long as I can wear sensible shoes this time, I'm there. :laugh:

Yes, please Fress! We're still replacing the divots made by your four inch stilettos.

(Talk w/Nerissa, OK?)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

A lemon-lime sparkly beverage for the Beautiful Baity Boys, right?

Tom Collinses? :blink:

What do you think, Dawn? They'd sleep tighter than two little ticks on the way home.

I want a Tom Collins Right Now!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Thank you so much for the invite, Maggie. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend as I have a wedding shower that night. I hope everyone has a lovely time though!

Have a tom collins for me...

Cat in Chicago

cat lancaster

catchi@ix.netcom.com

Portland, OR

A lemon-lime sparkly beverage for the Beautiful Baity Boys, right?

Tom Collinses? :blink:

What do you think, Dawn? They'd sleep tighter than two little ticks on the way home.

I want a Tom Collins Right Now!

Oh they would go down quite easily, but I will keep it to the fizzy lemon-lime.

I am very fortunate to have two little boys who have no problem with sleeping and never have since they first slept through the night. They are humble, dutiful servents of the Sandman. Running around you yard will eventually get the best of them and they won't fight it. So much so that I will bring their pajamas with me.

I will hold back on the heat for the pint-sized rice lovers among us. A bottle of tabasco should do the trick for the rest of us.

I would love to come.  I will have my little smookies (the twins) with me.  We will head in on the train.  Fresser, if you can find it within yourself to get us at the Metra station, I would be much obliged.

Ooooh, Aurora...

You and your Smookies (I call them your Mini-Me's) can join me in my slick PT Cruiser. Perhaps we could meet at the Jefferson Park CTA.

Nerissa, we've still got room for you...

Fast-Lane Fresser

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Gosh, I'm very jealous.  If it's one thing I love that's Gumbo, too bad I live in New York. Oh well, take lots of pictures.

Yes, Bond Girl...lots of pictures. And check out cheap day-of-flight fares. Fresser could pick you up at O'Hare, you could bunk here overnight, and be back in NYC for dinner on Sunday.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm in. Can anybody meet the train that arrives at 3:35 at West Chicago? Or: if you're coming, Guajolote, may I (and the cornbread) hitch a ride?

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Gosh, I'm very jealous.  If it's one thing I love that's Gumbo, too bad I live in New York. Oh well, take lots of pictures.

yea, i'm really jealous too. same thing with respect to philly.

only consolation is that we had some awesome red beans and rice, bread pudding, among other cajun stuff last night at our DDC dinner.

ah well, the fire has been started, let it be a slow burn til the appetite has been quenched.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I love gumbo. But, Nero's home that weekend, and that means I'm home too. Plus, I just spent six days in Chitown, and my wallet is full of credit card slips, not cash... :wink:

Have fun, all!

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

To recap:

Transportation: We will meet trains, email directions, or trust you to get with Fresser and his slick GT Cruiser. I do not, repeat do not live in Iowa.

Guest list so far:

Fresser

Aurora plus 2

Lady T.

guajolote and Iris are a definite possible

Nerissa...just come, kiddo. Read a train schedule or talk to Fressser.

Inventolux...bring the Lady and the kids

Elizabeth? Mike? Ryne...c'mon.

Anyone else...just let us know.

We will:

Provide House Cocktails(Sazeracs and G&Ts)

Sprite or Seven Up for the Boyz.

Gumbo

Plain 'ole rice

Lane Cake (Appropriately over the top Southern).and some cookies and bars

And one hoover doover

Many of you Fine Folk have commited to sides. Bring 'em on!(And please! remind me what they are!) Grab a six pack or a bottle of wine on your way out the door.

And just show. Any new guests are truly welcome!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com