• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KUOW 94.9 Summer Food Series

Starting today at 10:00 AM, KUOW is starting a summer food series. Apparently today it's about looking for Seattle's "ideal burger." (I hope no one touts Kidd Valley! blech) I tried to provide a link, but their "Weekday" link is not working at the moment.

Kathy

Edit: Okay, now the link is working. The series is called "Vernacular Foods." :blink:

http://kuow.org/Weekday2.asp

Edit #2: I wrote to the program director of KUOW about a month ago to promote Mamster as a food commentator, and I strongly urge others to do the same. They need to have a decent local food show. Even just once a month would be an improvement over their current coverage.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

So, what do you think? What is the quintessential Seattle burger?

Given the criterial they were using (when you are away from Seattle, what makes you remember/long for home) my vote goes to Dick's.

My co-worker told me that when she and her husband moved here from NY, the first place they had to go was Dick's, because of Sir Mix-a-lot's song! He even saved the wrapper from his french fries!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

The only time I'm going to get a Dick's burger is if I'm part of a drunken posse and it's the will of the posse. The deluxe isn't too bad and Dick's is better than any other fast food burger. Their fries on the other hand are absolute rubbish: steamy, flaccid and under salted. Blegh. A Dick's shake on the other hand is something to behold.

With all of the other great things to eat in this town, the last thing on the menu I'm going to try is a burger. If I need a sandwich I go to Paseo (best in town, imho) or Salumi (would be the best if Armandino didn't overbread his sandwiches).

edit: nuts, I thought I could get away without using the possesive form of Dick's but Schielke proved me wrong. :wacko:

The only time I'm going to get a Dick's burger is if I'm part of a drunken posse and it's the will of the posse.

Where do you go if you are part of a drunken posse and it's up to you to choose?

The only time I ever go to Dick's is as part of a drunken posse. Then, nothing but a Dick's Deluxe and a chocolate shake will do. I agree, those fries are scary.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Now the posse's gettin' hungry, and Mix-a-Lot's treatin'--

we stopped at Taco Bell, for some Mexican eatin'--

but Taco Bell was closed, and the girls was on my tip--

they said, "Go back the other way, we'll stop and eat at Dick's"--

Dick's is the place where the crew hang out--

the SWASS like to play, and the rich flaunt clout--

posse to the burger stand, so big we walk in two's--

we're gettin' dirty looks, from those other sucka crews--

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario