• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plain ol' steak frites

sara

My family is full of picky people--some are cheap, some don't know good food when it hits them in the face, some are rude to servers, some are simply unhappy at any restaurant they're at.

That said, I need help. My family is going to see Barbara Cook at the Kennedy Center Friday night and they need to eat somewhere first (thank god, I get to skip this outing). It's 6 people, maybe around 6 pm. The original plan was Marcel's, but my uncle thinks the place is overpriced and overrated, even tho you get 3 courses for $42 and a limo ride to the KC.

We need:

--a place that is simple, not a scene, not noisy

--serving simple fare, done well---preferably w/ steak frites on the menu (remember Le Steak? It closed but would've been perfect)

--nice polite service

--no more than $40/person

--somewhere not too far from the KC (and Arlington would be fine)

The wine list matters not, they don't drink. It doesn't have to be cutting edge food, or exciting in any way. I'm the only Chowhound in the family. Please help!!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

How about Les Halles - there steak frites are supposed to be awesome, but I am not sure of the prices.

Also Bistro'Francais in Georgetow, they even have a great early bird special that might suit your crowd.

V

Might The Circle Bistro work? They have a rib-eye with frites. It also comes with swiss chard, but serious steak friters can ignore that. They also offer a pre-KC menu at $28.

On second thought, maybe still too foodie for your group? What do you think?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

How about Les Halles - there steak frites are supposed to be awesome, but I am not sure of the prices.

Also Bistro'Francais in Georgetow, they even have a great early bird special that might suit your crowd.

V

We've had a terrible meal the last two times we have been to Les Halles, and it's not really close to the KC.

I second Bistro Francais, and you could walk to the Kennedy Center from there if it's a nice night. If not, it's a very short cab ride.

Have fun at Barbara Cook. She's amazing.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Hi,

If Dupont Circle is not too far away for you from the "KC" how about try Bistrot du Coin (1738 Connecticut Ave. NW Washington, DC  20009 Phone: 202-234-6969). It fits the bill perfectly for a type of restaurant you desire besides one, its kind of noisy. But the food, great cheep wine and beer list (only place in town I can think of that sells Champagne by the glass and that has a good Belgian and French beer on tap besieds that of the Brickskeller), and great service makes the restaurant and bar a great experience. I have been to Paris and France many a time and get nostalgic any time I go into Bistro du Coin. But the real Frenchies must feel the same way because they pack the joint like they were back in the mother country. And yes the Steak Frites are wonderfultopped with Bordelaise butter or other traditional garniture.

Here is an excerpt from a review from MetroWeekly

No bistrot can be judged authentic without passing one crucial test -- steak and pommes frites. And Bistrot du Coin does very well in this category. The hanger steak, tender and beautifully perfumed with fresh rosemary, holds its own. A tenderloin "pave," thick and juicy, is a standout.

Here is the full review of the above excerpt

Hope this is helpful and have a great nigt out on the town!

Hobbes :laugh:

Les Halles is fine, if you sit at the bar and use it as a half-drinking, half-eating experience. If you expect to sit at a table and get solicitous service, fuhgeddabouddit.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Bistro Du Coin -- Polite service! not in my experience anyway. I'd go with the Bistro Francais in Georgetown (although I'd choose Marcels any day -- with a glass of Orval at the bar - 'tis a tad pricey though).

Edited by theakston (log)

Ok, now my mother is thinking about David Greggory--my instinct is that it violates several of the requirements, and especially may be very noisy. Anyone been and have thoughts?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Bistro Du Coin -- Polite service! not in my experience anyway. I'd go with the Bistro Francais in Georgetown (although I'd choose Marcels any day -- with a glass of Orval at the bar - 'tis a tad pricey though).

I guess what I met by polite service was "friendly service" especially by the restaurateur and owner of Bistro du Coin, Michel Verdon.

Here is a excerpt from a washingtonian review about Michel Verdon and his service:

The flamboyant host works the room like a graduate of the Dale Carnegie school, French campus. Checking in on a table of diners who are digging into pots of steamed mussels -- some in a delicate curry broth, others steeped in garlic butter or a sauce of cream and leeks -- Verdon demonstrates how to use an empty shell to pluck the meat  from each fat mussel. "French chopsticks!" he says with a smile before moving on to schmooze with someone else.

The full review from the Washingtonian

And another excerpt from a reviewer on epinions.com:

The best thing about the place is its sense of fun, put forth by the owner, Michel Verdon. Whether he is merely greeting you or dancing on the bar waving a French flag (he tends to do this on Bastille Day), you just know that he is glad to see you. A true host. Not one to stand on formality, he often wears baseball jerseys or other odd costumes. 

Service

The thing to remember here is that this is a bistro, not a palace of Haute cuisine. The service is friendly, if not always organized. The devil-may-care attitude seeps down to the servers, so while the service is always exceptionally friendly, you would do well to remember that this is not a place that depends upon service for its reputation. Remember to go here for the fun of the experience and for the food. Service is very much secondary in the whole here. 

The bartenders, especially the engaging Philippe, are all especially good. 

The full review of the excerpt above that goes into full detail about the food (each course) and the whole experience of the restaurant.

Coincidentally Michel Verdon was Les Halles DC first restaurateur before moving to open Bistro du Coin. And it was Michel's aim to make Les Halles DC

a coat-on-the-back-of-the-chair French restaurant where you could relax and enjoy yourself. With the aid of ace publicist Charlie Brotman, Verdon made Les Halles the site of two of the best open-to-the-public parties in Washington: July's Bastille celebration and November's celebration of the arrival of the year's Beaujolais Nouveau.

The above is from the washingtonian's review of Les Halles DC

While I have not yet had a chance to eat at Les Halles DC yet; either Les Halles or Bistro du Coin are best bets for very good traditional French Bistro fare.

Take care :biggrin:

PS Sara you are quite right to worry about the noise level. It does get loud, but at the time you want to go (6pm right?) the night at the Bistro du Coin may have not gotten to crazy yet due to the earyl hour. No matter where you go I am sure you will have a good time. Enjoy yourselves!!

Edited by Hobbes (log)

• 2 weeks later...

sara: having just registered for this forum for the sole purpose of asking you about Le Steak in Georgetown....and been thwarted by menacing screens each time I attempt an email or pm to you...I'll try this way:

I recall LeSteak with overwhelming fondness....price fix...the one dish of Steak Frites; salad with a dressing to die for.....tasty and affordable wine list....

my beloved and I spent at least one night a week there......

But my memory fades...was that spectacular dish really steak frites? or Steak Au Poivre or steak bŽarnaise? My memory fails me but the not my craving for another dinner there! (it's been 23 years!)

Jim Sharp

Houston