• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PALM BEACH REST IDEAS?

sabg

Has Daniel Boulud opened there yet? I know there's a Cafe Boulud either coming soon or already in place.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Unfortunately all of the good seafood is off season now. Otherwise I would have suggested Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach.

Theres lots of fancy expensive restaurants off the Worth Ave strip and near that big shopping center though.

Rosie has suggested Norman's in Coral gables but that would be a schlep.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Here is where we ate last year when we went:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=97&t=5993

Definitely thumbs up on Park Ave Ribs, Riggins, Charleys Crab, Viet House, Mondos, and Long Island Shellfish.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If you want to get away from the hype of Palm Beach -- or your Lily is at the cleaners -- head to downtown Lake Worth, which about 15 minutes south by A1A (20 if you take U.S. 1.) It's cool in a hipper sort of way, and has several good places. Bizarre Avenue is one of my favorites, and Coco Pazzo, a couple of doors down, is good.

One street over is Paradiso, which is a truly wonderful Italian-inspired place with a wine cave. Paradiso is pricey, but in general, Lake Worth has better prices than Palm Beach, equally good food and is fun for strolling on Lake Avenue.

If you need a great cocktail, go to Bamboo Room and ask for Cheryl, a gifted bartender. (In the interest of full disclosure: My husband works for Bamboo Room from his remote office here in North Carolina. But even if he didn't, I'd like it very much.)

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer