• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Everyone's Favorite Beer?

cricket33

I love beer. If I had to compose a list of my top five beers, it would probably take me months to decide between all the contenders.

But I need no time to declare my number 1: Black Butte Porter out of Oregon. It's amazing. I have never tasted a beer I liked more.

I don't know how available it is in most of the country. I used to live in Portland, so it was every then (even at your friendly neighboorhood ghetto-mart). I live in the Bay Area now and have no difficulty finding it anywhere with a decent beer selection. And I've seen it in Houston and Aspen. Other than that, I don't know. But if you ever see it, please try it. You will be amazed.

I really doubt that any laws or regs prevent the importation of 'real' Czech beer.

You are correct. The laws don't "prevent" importation, but the local (state) laws make it a real pain in the ass.

For example: any beer over 4.0% abv sold in the state of Texas...

If I recall correctly, several Czech beers get up to and over 5% abv

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

I really doubt that any laws or regs prevent the importation of 'real' Czech beer.

You are correct. The laws don't "prevent" importation, but the local (state) laws make it a real pain in the ass.

A typical Czech beer sold in the US is about 5% abv. But this is true of many, many beers that are successfully imported to and sold in the United States. And the 'real' Czech beer of which you speak is probably the same strength, or less. Perhaps you can confirm this.

There is nothing in the laws or regulations of the United States, or of many US states, that prevents or discourages the importation of a 5% abv beer into the US, nor would those laws or regs make it particularly difficult to import it. Yes, there are goofy laws in many states, but nothing that hundreds of other beers haven't already dealt with successfully.

But Czech beers here little resemble what you find in Bohemia. The tiny pubs in the north, rolling hills of Stara Paka. Pubs' beers distinguish its rolling hills, long without cars or electricity. Bohemian hops like French grapes only travel so well

Edited by Elissa (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Mmmm, beer. I like beer. Especially dark beer. :wub: But I'm not picky. Depending on what I'm having to eat with it, I tend to favor Harp, Killian's, or Corona. But I also really like a lot of the microbrews that are available now. We're lucky, there's a place right here by work called Triumph Brewing, their food is so-so, but the beer they brew is pretty darn good. First time I ever went there, I got a Coffee & Cream Stout, black as tar, and absolutely delicious. Made my father-in-law proud. (Kinda scared my grandfather-in-law though - he made the mistake of ordering the same thing, without realizing I'd just ordered the darkest beer on the menu - he's a light beer kinda guy.)

Man, that sounds good right about now. I could use a good beer.

But Czech beers here little resemble what you find in Bohemia. The tiny pubs in the north, rolling hills of Stara Paka. Pubs' beers distinguish its rolling hills, long without cars or electricity. Bohemian hops like French grapes only travel so well

You said the US doesn't allow their importation. I said it will. I wouldn't argue that it would taste as it does at the source. But that's not the point you were making, until now.

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

I will forever be indebted to the clerk in Shepherdstown, WV, who recommended it when I stumbled in after my last final (biology) -- that kid knew more about beer than anyone working the shops around here.

Shipyard's Old Thumper (ESB)

Guinness, Harp & Brooklyn Lager are everyday standbys, but the two above are truly unique beers. They both rated in their respective categories on the beeradvocate list, a very interesting source. I would have rated my favorites higher, certainly the Taddy Porter above SS's Oatmeal Stout & Brooklyn's Chocolate Stout, but hey, I never said I had common tastes. I am printing it out and will carry it in my purse for the next time I need inspiration at the liquor store.

Edited by babyluck (log)

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

A typical Czech beer sold in the US is about 5% abv. But this is true of many, many beers that are successfully imported to and sold in the United States. And the 'real' Czech beer of which you speak is probably the same strength, or less. Perhaps you can confirm this.

There is nothing in the laws or regulations of the United States, or of many US states, that prevents or discourages the importation of a 5% abv beer into the US, nor would those laws or regs make it particularly difficult to import it. Yes, there are goofy laws in many states, but nothing that hundreds of other beers haven't already dealt with successfully.

My point (circuitously made, I admit) is that many producers and importers cannot make economic sense to make completely different packages for each state it is sold in . In many cases the label (s) crown and bottle need to be different for different reasons in different state.

These guys don't sell that much beer (let's face it, past Corona, Heineken, Guinness, and a couple of others, we are not talking alot of volume here for any individual product.

The other part of the equation is that many of these products have to be treated differently in order to ship it overseas. The beer is almost always pasteurized or fortified with chemicals (generally small amounts of phamaldehyde) in order to ppreserve it for shipment.

My suggestion is that if you are going to pay premium prices for beer that is likely to be old and/or mistreated you might be better served drinking locally and saving your money for a trip to Prague, Amsterdam, or Munich. At 8 dollars or so a six, you are really only 50 or 60 purchases away from Europe :rolleyes: and some really good beer. Though I can make the case all day long that there are many, many, microbrews that can hold their own (and have many times in tastings) against large European Brewers.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Just out for a brewski : anything Yuenling, especially if on tap.

Time to sip and enjoy? Well.... :rolleyes:

Old Peculiar

Negro Modelo

MacEwan's Tartan Ale

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

and a newbie ~ Rogue Mocha Porter

Most favoritest beer memory? Both in Guatemala City. The first at a private reception at the Gallo brewery, with the family that owns it. Fresh, ice cold and heavenly. Then a 'mixtas' in a local watering hole, a few blocks from our hotel, that our guide dragged a few adventurous souls to. Glasses the size of a bowling ball, filled a bottle of Gallo lager and a Gallo Negro. Local color all around, and one hell of a fine afternoon into late, late evening...at least they told me I had a good time. :rolleyes:

Like the old 'Obsession' commercials; "Ah! The smell of it!" :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Victory Hop Devil, from PA, perhaps the best IPA made in America

I'll put Diamond Knot IPA, brewed in Mukilteo WA up to your Victory Hop Devil anyday :raz: It IS the shit.

OK, so at this very minute I'm finishing off a Victory Hop Devil, since it makes it all the way out to the west coast.

considering that something is probably lost in traveling, and just in bottling, I'm going to state my opinion ;-)

not even close

:raz:

Local is always better, eh?? So next time I'm back east, I'll try it there.

I put Bridgeport IPA over this one, they do bottle. I'm not sure how far they distribute, so I don't know if its available to east coasters.

It can't even begin to touch Diamond Knot. (which doesn't bottle)

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 2 weeks later...

The beers I really enjoy are Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Abita Turbo Dog, and St. Arnold's amber ale!! :smile:

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)