• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wasabi

mamster

I will never forget in college when my ex-boyfriend (also Japanese) told a friend of ours that wasabi was a special type of green chocolate (his mother had just sent a tube in a care package from Japan). The guy bought it! :shock::biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I love wasabi! :biggrin: The first time I had sushi (only last year!) the wasabi was, and still is, my favorite part of the meal. I also like those wasabi coated fried peas they serve at some bars. :rolleyes:

KathyM

has anyone ever tried wasabi caviar?

I saw it in a cookbook but had never heard of it before, it looks like caviar only it is light green.

I saw it in a cookbook but had never heard of it before, it looks like caviar only it is light green

Ive had it many many times. The first time was with tru's caviar staircase...

http://www.trurestaurant.com/stuff.html

Then I started buying it. I like to place a little on top of smoked salmon on top of a blini for guests. The bright green tobiko makes a striking color contrast with the vibrant red of the smoked salmon. Very pretty, very striking and very luxurious!

I saw it in a cookbook but had never heard of it before, it looks like caviar only it is light green

Ive had it many many times. The first time was with tru's caviar staircase...

http://www.trurestaurant.com/stuff.html

Then I started buying it. I like to place a little on top of smoked salmon on top of a blini for guests. The bright green tobiko makes a striking color contrast with the vibrant red of the smoked salmon. Very pretty, very striking and very luxurious!

how strong is the wasabi flavor?

I saw it in a cookbook but had never heard of it before, it looks like caviar only it is light green.

Yup, I've had it in a hand roll with cucumber -- its called a "Wasabi Bomb"

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Define "unusual"? :blink:

oh say,

wasabi and peanut butter

Close: I had some wasabi peanuts at a party this weekend.

Peanuts with a crisp (kind of jordan almond texture) almost sweet, wasabi coating.

They wasabi zing was similiar to wasabi peas.

Interesting, but probably not something I would buy myself.

They looked like light green peanut M&M's Fortunately, the hostess kept them in the can with the label, so no one would pop a handful... :blink:

Challah back!

• 4 weeks later...

Fresh wasabi is being grown on Vancouver Island and in Oregon. Very, very tasty! Makes it hard to use the powder when you have been spoiled with the fresh.

A touch of fresh wasabi in crème friache served with smoked salmon and poached eggs on a leek and potato pancake gets me started every Sunday morning! :raz:

Chef/Owner/Teacher

That's a delicious breakfast.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

...... on a leek and potato pancake gets me started every Sunday morning!  :raz:

Hmmm !!! I wonder where in NYC I could taste a leeks and potato pancake, anyday let alone Sunday.

anil

Chef Fowke--that does sound like a beautiful dish--is the base sort of a latke with additions?

Yes. Latke made with very young Vancouver Island nugget potatoes. The leeks are cooked down with onions, scallion and garlic until they are translucent and then added to the potatoes. Shape into the size of an English muffin. Four things are really important;

1) Make an indent in the top of the Latke for the eggs to sit in.

2) Cook over a medium-low heat using only sweet butter

3) It is best if the salmon is sockeye and it has been applewood or beech smoked

4) Grate the wasabi at the last possible minute and add to the crème friache. Put the egg on top of the crème friache and shave some

additional wasabi on top of the eggs.

The ultimate is this dish served with sauce Charon!

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Four things are really important;

1) Make an indent in the top of the Latke for the eggs to sit in.

2) Cook over a medium-low heat using only sweet butter

3) It is best if the salmon is sockeye and it has been applewood or beech smoked

4) Grate the wasabi at the last possible minute and add to the crème friache. Put the egg on top of the crème friache and shave some

additional wasabi on top of the eggs.

The ultimate is this dish served with sauce Charon!

Oh, this is *torture* to read!!! My return to Sitka isn't soon enough. :sad: Thanks Chef Fowke!!!! I've got some smoked sockeye (family caught, smoked and jarred). Must do this preparation SOON!

Being out in the sticks and never having had wasabi (but liking horseradish) I did a google and came up with Pacific Farms. I think I'll order some.

Edit: Oops. Maybe I won't. Went back to the site and noted the ingredients in their paste - "(Ingredients: wasabi, sucrose, modified food starch, less than 1/2 of 1% xanthan gum, phosphoric acid, potassium sorbate, certified color blue #5 and yellow #5.)" :shock:

They do offer live plants for the garden though.

Edited by Nickn (log)

Do you need any recipes?

How to make Sauce Charon

Chef Fowke--thanks for the offer (see quote), and i'd like to request the Sauce Charon recipe (just googled and found not much...)

my latkes, i'm pretty happy with. although i suppose we should start a latke thread if this continues...

congrats also on article on Muskoka inn/Joe Fortes. well-done. :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

If you search for latke's you should turn up Steve's (Fat Guy) thread on competition quality latkes. Further latke talk can happen there.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Do you need any recipes?

How to make Sauce Charon

Chef Fowke--thanks for the offer (see quote), and i'd like to request the Sauce Charon recipe (just googled and found not much...)

my latkes, i'm pretty happy with. although i suppose we should start a latke thread if this continues...

congrats also on article on Muskoka inn/Joe Fortes. well-done. :smile:

I have looked and looked through my recipes and the smallest batch of Charon uses 5lbs of butter. I can forward it to you...

Hopefully this little definition will help you with Sauce Charon. If you have any problems I will send you my master recipe.

Note: finish the sauce with a good amount of tomato concassé and chive baton for a superior flavour.

Hollandaise

This sauce was named in recognition of the high quality of butter and other dairy products produced in Holland. Since the largest proportion of a hollandaise is butter, the sauce will succeed or fail according to not only the skillful balance between egg yolks, reduction, and butter, but also the quality of the butter itself. Hollandaise belongs to a group of sauces known as emulsion sauces. An emulsion sauce is formed when one substance is suspended in another--in this case, melted or clarified butter is suspended in partially cooked egg yolks. It is fragile because it is not a true mixture and could separate easily into its distinct components. In other words, it could "break." Other examples of emulsion sauces include mayonnaise, beurre blancs, vin blancs, and vinaigrettes. Hollandaise should be a pale lemon color with a satin-smooth texture and appearance. The hollandaise-style sauces may have slightly different colors. Sauce Charon, for instance, contains tomato puree, which will give the finished sauce a pale orange color. Other emulsion sauces are: Béarnaise, Foyot, Maltaise, and Mousseline

Chef/Owner/Teacher