• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alton go Boom?

=Mark

I appreciate your posts.  But isn't it Ignatius T.?

Ignatius Reilly is the totally self-absorbed lard ass (I'm thin) who thinks it's his god given right to pontificate on subjects that mean very little in the real world (I see a correlation to a lot of the posting here) from A Confederacy of Dunces. And Dennis Miller could take the word "the" and turn it into a four paragraph litany about the plight of the Shiites. Lest we forget, I'm not Michael Rhulman.

Yes, and as I mentioned, Ignatious will never rise again, John Kennedy Toole is dead. And I guess the talents of Dennis are impressive to you..to me,that's why he's some obscure sportscaster now, but I guess to some his ability to ponificate are worthy of attention.

Ah, it's neither here nor there...I'm just a regular reader, needed some clarification of your opinion on Alton...I suspect its just an exercise: if someone says black, CWS will reply white...that' s ok..it keeps some people interested..it just makes this old lady tired! :cool:

Jeesh...I bet you're fun at a cocktail party.

But seriously maybe you and Tommy ought to hook up and maybe form an alliance of dry readers that only want to read dry prose. If you read my posts you'd realize I have strong opinions about this industry that I've been calling home for 20 years. Very few food "personalities" can garner my respect (like my respect matters right, Kim? I know). I don't black for white. I don't have an interest in pandering my posts to the easily confused. If I tried to write like Steven, or M. Rhulman I'd undoubtedly end up sounding like I had no idea what I was talking about. I'm a chef maam. My brain has been fried by the years upon years of weird shit that happens in a professional kitchen. I've licked toilet seats in between shifts. I've cooked with a broken arm, alone, on acid, in a Russian restaurant. I've travelled long ways to meet my heroes. I'm not your garden variety A rate writer.

But I'm glad that I rile you up. Maybe you can harness the itsy bitsy bit of passion that it takes to condemn me to your own benefit. But if you want to pile it on me, cool. You can stand in line.

Boring prose is boring...

First, I'm not easily confused. By a long shot.

Whatever, I like the approach that Alton Brown takes..it fills the need of some home chefs.

And in the words of ...I forget..." I've met Anthony Bourdain, and you , sir, are not Anthony Bourdain".

edited, as it was pointed out that I was rude.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

[Jeesh...I bet you're fun at a cocktail party.

But seriously maybe you and Tommy ought to hook up and maybe form an alliance of dry readers that only want to read dry prose.

Yeah, I hear Tommy is known for that. Dry, dry, dry. :laugh:

Kim, how lovely of you to downplay the existence of a man who clearly puts thought into his posts.

Do you cook?

The black/white thing clearly fosters discussion on a level that helps sophists facilitate their own intrinsic need for argument. Based on the short attention span of so many of us "cooks" (thanks for that one, btw. Nothing like a stinger to tell someone to kiss your ass), it's the kind of discussion that we can sink most easily into. Now, arguing over the obscure references to Pulitzer Prize winning novels and the misspelled names contained therein, that's an obvious credit to the time and effort he-who-makes-lengthy-posts puts in. (see Ignatius J. Vs. Ignatius T. Thanks for that one as well.)

My point is that in three or four short posts, you've devalued what this fella does, and stepped on toes here quite possibly without your knowledge. Instead of saying "You are no Bourdain, blah blah fart blah", don't let this line of conversation fall into the same dreadful pattern that defouls places like this.

And hey, if you like Alton Brown, more power to you. He's a smart guy. No doubt, that's why all the housefraus and "foodies" (God, they stole our word!) love him. Personally, I think he has about as much personality as a dead salmon, and it's not as though I make appointments to watch him, because I can just open a cookbook and find the same stuff he's talking about in there. I can do it on my own time, without the banality of having to sit through a program where I get to relearn how to soak a genoise cake that didn't come out of the pan right.

Edited by T. Brooks (log)

And in the words of ...I forget..." I've met Anthony Bourdain, and you , sir, are not Anthony Bourdain".

Your paraphrase is of Lloyd Bentson, Democratic party candidate for Vice President in 1988, directed at Republican VP candidate Dan Quayle.

Interesting trivia tidbit: one of the electors representing West Virginia at the Electoral College that year for some reason reversed Bentson and his Presidential running mate, voting for Bentson for President and Michael Dukakis for Vice President.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Kim, how lovely of you to downplay the existence of a man who clearly puts thought into his posts.

Do you cook?

The black/white thing clearly fosters discussion on a level that helps sophists facilitate their own intrinsic need for argument. Based on the short attention span of so many of us "cooks" (thanks for that one, btw. Nothing like a stinger to tell someone to kiss your ass), it's the kind of discussion that we can sink most easily into. Now, arguing over the obscure references to Pulitzer Prize winning novels and the misspelled names contained therein, that's an obvious credit to the time and effort he-who-makes-lengthy-posts puts in. (see Ignatius J. Vs. Ignatius T. Thanks for that one as well.)

My point is that in three or four short posts, you've devalued what this fella does, and stepped on toes here quite possibly without your knowledge. Instead of saying "You are no Bourdain, blah blah fart blah", don't let this line of conversation fall into the same dreadful pattern that defouls places like this.

And hey, if you like Alton Brown, more power to you. He's a smart guy. No doubt, that's why all the housefraus and "foodies" (God, they stole our word!) love him. Personally, I think he has about as much personality as a dead salmon, and it's not as though I make appointments to watch him, because I can just open a cookbook and find the same stuff he's talking about in there. I can do it on my own time, without the banality of having to sit through a program where I get to relearn how to soak a genoise cake that didn't come out of the pan right.

You're right...I should not have made the zinger about his cooking, that was a low blow and I apologize. In fact, I will edit accordingly.

I guess CSW's style of insulting just about everyone but Thomas Keller got a bit too much for me to bear, and I will try to take the advice I often give out: If I don't like a particular poster's style or content, just skip his/her post. In his case, even when he claims to like someone, it seems to me he is insulting them at the same time.

The Ignatious stuff was not an arguement, really...I am pretty sure that it's Ignatious J., though.

Good Eats appeals to people who like food science. Those who don't like are free to change the channel or even turn the TV off. The fact that Bourdain says Alton dissed him is irrelevant to me, but seems to be a reason for those who don't like him to pile on here.

Edit: no energy for pissing matches today

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

First, I'm not easily confused. By a long shot.

Whatever, I like the approach that Alton Brown takes..it fills the need of some home chefs.

edited, as it was pointed out that I was rude.

Damn...I guess my new thread..."Don't eat sheep's milk cheese on Thursday" is shot to the curb. Actually, CWS is my ghost writer's name...busted...Tony.

But seriously maybe you and Tommy ought to hook up and maybe form an alliance of dry readers that only want to read dry prose.

you don't really want to suck me back into this, do you? :blink:

No Tommy,

I'm sure I'll run up against you again soon.

"run up against." oh, the drama.

Your paraphrase is of Lloyd Bentson, Democratic party candidate for Vice President in 1988, directed at Republican VP candidate Dan Quayle.

Interesting trivia tidbit: one of the electors representing West Virginia at the Electoral College that year for some reason reversed Bentson and his Presidential running mate, voting for Bentson for President and Michael Dukakis for Vice President.

And the reference was John Kennedy, right? The Dukakis campaign was a rough one..I think I've blocked out most of the details! :laugh::unsure:

you don't really want to suck me back into this, do you? :blink:

No Tommy,

I'm sure I'll run up against you again soon.

"run up against." oh, the drama.

let's dispense with the banalities...

or in dry prose....

Let's quit this pointless back and forth. This forum is about Alton Brown. I like him for his contributions to food science. But he opens himself to an occassion jab with his quirky show (that I think brings esoteric concept to light in an enjoyable manner). As for what he did to Tony, that's Tony's monologue, I have no feelings about it one way or the other.

It's possible to like and dislike the same person. To adopt one position on a person is uni-dimensional and a party-line bias issue. Like you Tom, I appreciate you for riding my ass but find fault with some of your bitter reasoning. But that's part of what I like about eGullet. You can express your opinion with minimal repercussion.

Like you Tom, I appreciate you for riding my ass but find fault with some of your bitter reasoning.

with what "bitter reasoning" do you find fault? :blink:

Ending the perpetuations....

That you may think, however piously, that I should write clearer to appeal to more readers.

That, although you haven't come right out with it, I maybe trying to piss people off because Tony said it may work. He didn't mean on eGullet, I don't think.

That my whole stance is based on a house of cards that is blown down daily by how my meds are adjusted.

But Tommy, like I said, I can appreciate all points of view, and can definitely see where they come from when I'm bashed. I have taken a position, or positions, here that may not endear me to the Joe Millionaire publishing conglomerates. But I'm having fun. If I never get published because I'm considered a stilted hack that's fine with me. I've waited years and years to be able to debate the issues in this industry. I'm all for a good debate, even it involves my intentions in this forum. As long as you leave my children out of it, I'd be more than happy to lower the level of discourse in PM. Thanks.

That you may think, however piously, that I should write clearer to appeal to more readers. 

That, although you haven't come right out with it, I maybe trying to piss people off because Tony said it may work.  He didn't mean on eGullet, I don't think.   

you're delusional. i said neither.

over-and-out.

Help! Help! My thread has been hijacked!!!

Amazing how such a train wreck draws attention, check out the users viewing it... For shame! :rolleyes:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Boys, boys. Poor Mark had such a nice shiny new thread here.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

CWS, you go post on (---->) that side of the forum. Tommy, you go post on (<-----) that side of the forum. Once you two boys feel that you can get along, you may mingle together with the rest of us. And when this occurs, I will have small, delicious cookies for you to partake in.

Deep breathes guys, deep breathes. eGullet, while all about fostering intelligent conversation and/or debate, is meant to be a pleasure to participate in. With nearly 10,000 members you obviously aren't gonna get along with everyone (except for me, because I'm such a lovable little teddy bear :rolleyes: ). It isn't like you're being forced to sit down and share a beer with the person who gets under your skin. It's just the Internet. Let it slide, and be grateful you don't live next-door to each other. :unsure:

Inquiring minds want to know...what did Alton say about Tony at the Beardies?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Inquiring minds want to know...what did Alton say about Tony at the Beardies?

Comment can be found here.

What is whiskey shit anyway? :blink:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

CWS, you go post on (---->) that side of the forum.  Tommy, you go post on (<-----) that side of the forum.  Once you two boys feel that you can get along, you may mingle together with the rest of us.  And when this occurs, I will have small, delicious cookies for you to partake in.

Deep breathes guys, deep breathes.  eGullet, while all about fostering intelligent conversation and/or debate, is meant to be a pleasure to participate in.  With nearly 10,000 members you obviously aren't gonna get along with everyone (except for me, because I'm such a lovable little teddy bear  :rolleyes: ).  It isn't like you're being forced to sit down and share a beer with the person who gets under your skin.  It's just the Internet.  Let it slide, and be grateful you don't live next-door to each other.  :unsure:

For such a youngster you sure do come off as a wise old sage Pix.

I'm going to suspend myself for a few days for getting embroiled in this childish little pissing contest. Tommy, you win. over and out.