• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alton go Boom?

=Mark

Deep breathes guys, deep breathes.  eGullet, while all about fostering intelligent conversation and/or debate, is meant to be a pleasure to participate in.

Hah! Nonsense. Nobody here is willing to admit that they all love the occasional flame war... That's why the dearly missed Off Topic Chat was so much fun, it broadly increased the number of topics we could fight over... :laugh:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Back on topic, I just watched the episode in question, and I'm thinking that it's ok to turn the grill on with the lid closed when you did as Alton did, and turned it on within a few moments from the time when you turned the valve of the propane tank. There wouldn't be enough time in the 10 seconds between when he opened the valve and when he ignited the first coil for the gas to build up and cause an explosion.

Of course, he didn't explicitly explain that, but he did tell the viewers to read, understand and follow the manual that came with the grill, so I'd say he covered all his bases.

the manual that came with the grill, so I'd say he covered all his bases.

if that's the case, that's a good thing. but still, you're opening yourself up by suggesting to light it with the lid down, as many manufacturers clearly warn against this.

mine lights just fine with the lid up, although i obviously let the gas run a while to get a nice big "booooshhh!!!" when i click the starter.

"But he did tell the viewers to read, understand and follow the manual that came with the grill."

Yes, but that's about as helpful as this is for someone trying to figure out why his ice cream is gritty or his sorbet is too soft: "Place in an ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions." And this guy won a Beard?

And the fact is, when CWS writes plainly: "I like him (Alton Brown) for his contributions to food science. But he opens himself to an occasional jab with his quirky show (that I think brings esoteric concept to light in an enjoyable manner.)" And when CWS says Alton "makes difficult techniques and esoteric concepts a lot more accessible by using those visual aids--the creep-o-matic oriental kitchen supply Nazi being my fav. It makes it a lot more interesting" I think he pretty much crystallizes all the Alton Brown-related discussion:

1) is Alton the person who should be teaching "food science" and is his science worth ingesting? He sure seems to have all the geeks at Slashdot fooled. Is he getting it right on the air and in his book? This is, I believe, the door Mark astutely tried to open;

2) can Alton the persona be separated from the show and how much do the production values of the show affect his on-air persona? Is he the on-air persona? Is Alton a putz or is he merely complicit in allowing the show to present him as a putz?

The makings of a fine eGullet media thread. Carry on. (Oh, and let's try to stay away from posting about who has bigger balls.)

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Just so we're all clear, Dennis Miller is no longer (if he ever really was) a sportscaster. Last I heard, he was involved in the tenuous decision making on Alton Brown's grilling advice. Ergo prop, hoctor schlock.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Well, I'm just jealous of all those TV guys because they get to play with food all day and meet fun people and everyone wants to publish their books and they are doing what they love ALL THE TIME, and I wish I could, too.

So there.

And I've met Alton, and he was concerned about being nice to people and doing his job and selling books and filling his cooking class, and he had his photo taken with a zillion people and didn't complain once.

I wouldn't mind having his life, and I think that secretly most of you wouldn't mind either.

And I bet he thinks about the day when he won't be popular any more and wonders what he's gonna do next.

What is whiskey shit anyway?

Drink a bunch of whiskey, preferably preceeded by an absolute greaseball of a burger. You'll know. Or, for those of you who want foreign credit, replace whiskey with Guinness...

Todd <-- helpful :biggrin:

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

Back on topic, I just watched the episode in question, and I'm thinking that it's ok to turn the grill on with the lid closed when you did as Alton did, and turned it on within a few moments from the time when you turned the valve of the propane tank. There wouldn't be enough time in the 10 seconds between when he opened the valve and when he ignited the first coil for the gas to build up and cause an explosion.

Here's my experience.

I worked in a small group within a large, geeky company. In this small group was a gorgeous, non-geeky woman who went out of her way to invite me to her place for a small barbecue. I imediately answered yes.

<long story short... the day of the barbecue>

As I was driving from my place in Kirkland Washington to Bellevue Washington I got very excited to see this woman out of the work environment.

When I was about a half mile away from her place I found myself stopped at a stop light. I was in the left-hand turn lane. Suddenly two fire trucks and an ambulance, all running hot, sped from right to left in the crossing street. Moments later I made my left turn and found myself about a quarter mile behind the fire trucks and ambulance. I looked at my printed directions and noticed that they made a right turn on the same street I'm supposed to make a right turn. Three blocks later they made another right turn on the same street I'm supposed to make a right turn.

Hopefully, you're getting the idea...

They stopped in front of her house. When I arrived I found was the first guest to arrive and the firecrew was doing what they do best.

It turns out when she turned on the barbecue, she left the lid down. She got distracted and walked away. Either the flame blew out, or she never checked to see if it was on. Five minutes later, she checked to see how the barbecue was doing and lifted the top. This created a spark which created a massive explosion that threw her back about five-eight feet. The barbecue was against the wall of her house. The explosion blew a hole in the house and its close proximity caused a cannon effect. The sudden stopping of the blast by the wall pushed the barbecue away and towards her, and it landed on her legs. It fried her hair; however, the blast did minor damage to her beautiful face, and fortunately, did no damage to her eyes, legs, back, etc.

She had no physical scars, but then she had no eyebrows either. Her long hair was singed to within four inches of her head.

The fire department had to axe several holes to ensure there was no fire in between the walls.

She took months to physically recover; but she was emotionally scared long after that.

In observing the after-effects of this mishap, I now leave the lid open.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

HOLY CRAP!! :shock::shock:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

If you are not a Smug Scientific Bastard, I don't see the appeal that Alton Brown's show holds.  Unless I am baking, I rarely measure exactly. 

I don't really understand why people don't take Bourdain seriously or don't give him any respect because of his bleeped out monolouges or honesty on t.v.  Some choose wisely to ignore him since they'd rather watch the Halycon antiseptic likes of Sara Moulton (whom I am sure can actually cook), but give me a broken down scarred chef any day.

Im anything but smug or scientific..but how do YOU know about who my father is when even *I* dont? :wink::wink:

But seriously ladies and germs....I like Alton cuz hes offbeat and just a bit to the left of center. I identify with my own. But as is evidenced here somewhere on the site, I really like Bourdain too because of HIS think out of the box style.

Id GLADLY cook for either one of them at work

Oh....Sara Moulton too...Ive spoken to her on air several times...she good people!~

Edited by nyfirepatrolchef (log)

If you are not a Smug Scientific Bastard, I don't see the appeal that Alton Brown's show holds.  Unless I am baking, I rarely measure exactly. 

I don't really understand why people don't take Bourdain seriously or don't give him any respect because of his bleeped out monolouges or honesty on t.v.  Some choose wisely to ignore him since they'd rather watch the Halycon antiseptic likes of Sara Moulton (whom I am sure can actually cook), but give me a broken down scarred chef any day.

Im anything but smug or scientific..but how do YOU know about who my father is when even *I* dont? :wink::wink:

But seriously ladies and germs....I like Alton cuz hes offbeat and just a bit to the left of center. I identify with my own. But as is evidenced here somewhere on the site, I really like Bourdain too because of HIS think out of the box style.

Id GLADLY cook for either one of them at work

Oh....Sara Moulton too...Ive spoken to her on air several times...she good people!~

Never meant to insult your pop, nyfirepatrolchef! :smile:

AB brings diversity to the ailing FN--but I am biased. The day they off Molto Mario and A Cook's Tour in place of more shows like "The Best of" or "how to boil water" will be the day of a thousand protests.

Inciditentally, I have occasionally caught "Cookworks"--has anyone else seen this show. I rather like her--Donna Something?

"But he did tell the viewers to read, understand and follow the manual that came with the grill."

Yes, but that's about as helpful as this is for someone trying to figure out why his ice cream is gritty or his sorbet is too soft: "Place in an ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions."  And this guy won a Beard?

And the fact is, when CWS writes plainly:  "I like him (Alton Brown) for his contributions to food science. But he opens himself to an occasional jab with his quirky show (that I think brings esoteric concept to light in an enjoyable manner.)"  And when CWS says Alton "makes difficult techniques and esoteric concepts a lot more accessible by using those visual aids--the creep-o-matic oriental kitchen supply Nazi being my fav. It makes it a lot more interesting" I think he pretty much crystallizes all the Alton Brown-related discussion:

1) is Alton the person who should be teaching "food science" and is his science worth ingesting?  He sure seems to have all the geeks at Slashdot fooled.  Is he getting it right on the air and in his book?  This is, I believe, the door Mark astutely tried to open;

2) can Alton the persona be separated from the show and how much do the production values of the show affect his on-air persona?  Is he the on-air persona? Is Alton a putz or is he merely complicit in allowing the show to present him as a putz?

The makings of a fine eGullet media thread.  Carry on.  (Oh, and let's try to stay away from posting about who has bigger balls.)

1) YES

2)I am not sure since I never met him but have never heard a bad report about him until Tony said what he said.

I am a big fan of Mr. AB so I guess this puts me in the "dweeb" category. I enjoy his show very much and I watch it even if the recipes or instructions given are ones that I've done hundreds of times. It is smart, funny and entertaining. Above all it WORKS!!! No recipe or instruction taken from Good Eats have ever failed. One such example is this past thanksgiving's turkey which was cooked based on ABs recipe. It was the best I've (and everyone that was there agreed) ever had- brined, simple, no basting required, moist and delicious.

So say what you want about AB, in my book he is a winner.

As for keeping the lid closed on the Grill... I believe AB used it only after his trusty Charcoal one was hijhacked :biggrin: . Moral of the story: USE CHARCOAL IT'S THE ONLY AND BEST WAY TO GO.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I'd like to remind people that AB and AB are both AB.  Can we have some clarification in future posts, please? :smile:

But only AB calls himself that.

Anthony Bourdain?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I think Bourdain goes by AB because he does not want to be associated with TB.  :laugh:

You think he's trying to keep it on the QT?

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.