• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outer Banks Eating

Summer is approaching. Thoughts wander to ocean breezes and beach traffic. I just rented a house in Corolla, NC (~10 miles north of Duck) for a week in June/July. What are some Gullet-worthy places to eat in the general area? Blue Point Grill is the only recommendation I've received so far. They have a 30-days-in-advance reservation policy, so I haven't been able to lock in a table there yet. Any opinions on that place? Where else should we try?

If you cook with s__t, you wind up with s__t...Gerard Pangaud

• 2 weeks later...

The Sugar Shack just before the bridge to Ocean Isle, NC is great. While one wouldn't expect to encounter a Jamacan place in southern NC, one also wouldn't expect to encounter some of the most amazing ribs and jerk chicken I've ever had. As ribs go, they're about three times better than what Montgomery Inn Ribs serves. Of the tweleve people that ate there, all agreed it was a great find. If you're in the area (about a half hour north of Myrtle Beach, SC) it's a fully Gullet-worth place.

I was there a couple of years ago and we ate at a place called Tortuga's Lie (I think). As I remember it was down somewhere near the 10 mile marker. I don't remember what I had but do remember that it was very good and very crowded.

Whatever you do avoid Awful Arthers, a real case of Truth in Advertizing... :hmmm:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Here's a positive blurb about Sugar Shack from http://www.insiders.com/wilmington/main-re...estaurants8.htm

For a negative review, try this review of Sugar Shack(note it being several years old) http://www.wrightforyou.com/table4two3.html

My group found Sugar Shack outstanding for several reasons. One was the fact that for a week we had subsisted on breaded, fried seafood that dominates in the coastal areas of NC and SC, so this was a nice change. Another was that the meat had been cooks so slowly and gently that it was as tender as meat can be without crossing the mushy line. The spices used on the chicken and ribs were spicy enough to have a nice, slow-burning, building head that did not incapacitate or interfere with the flavor of the food. And with the ribs, the sauce and meat would meld with the rice and side dishes perfectly. Also, the quality of the ribs (on the two times I've been there) was perfect. Just the right amount of fat to meat ratio. My visits there have left me more than happy and hoping for more, however, I'm not advocating a seven hour drive from DC just for a meal there. If you do find yourself in the border coastal region of NC and SC, do try to seek the Sugar Shack out and let me know what you think.

Sugar Shack

$$ • 1609 Hale Beach Rd., Ocean Isle Beach

• (910) 579-3844

Don't miss this place. The house specialty is huge steaks, marinated, slowly cooked and richly flavored. Sugar Shack features authentic Jamaican home cooking (yes, the chef is Jamaican) in a colorful, intimate setting about a mile from the beach. Amid greenery, tropical artwork and floral table coverings, recorded reggae music adds a lively island feel most days, while live music is offered on weekends. Sugar Shack specializes in its own recipe for jerk seasoning. The tangy jerk chicken, pork and beef -- marinated, barbecued and served with a hot 'n' sweet sauce -- anchor a small but delightful menu that also includes Stamp & Go (a traditional spicy cod fritter), Brown Stewed Fish (slowly cooked red snapper) and a curried goat so tender it literally falls off the bone. Oh, and don't forget to try the award winning baby back ribs! Nothing is too spicy for the average palate, but imported hot sauce is available if you want to hurt yourself. Some appetizers are enough for a meal, and the Jamaican Sampler is a good introduction. Other offerings include jerk chicken salads and Caesar salad, fruit dishes, homemade soups and burgers. Then top everything off with a luscious slice of Key lime pie.

Guinness Stout and Red Stripe beer are served. Take-out orders are welcome, and catering is available. Sugar Shack is one block south of Ocean Isle Beach Road, a few yards off N.C. 179. (Ocean Isle Beach Road intersects U.S. 17 about 3 miles east of Grissettown.) Sugar Shack is open nightly for dinner in summer and Tuesday through Saturday off-season. Live entertainment is featured on Saturday nights. Reservations are accepted.

The Outer Banks Brewing Company in Kill Devil Hills offers a good treatment of fresh fish and relatively simple grilled meats. They source their fish locally, so you get what they get. Had five or six brews including a porter, and a wheat beer. Figure $30 a head for dinner.

Pastry chef Tina Mackenize had a number of interesting sounding (and tasting) offerings. If I can find my notes, I'll expand the descriptions.

There's a bbq place south of KDH, Pigman's?, with decent 'cue and a moonshine based vinegar and pepper sauce (in their bottle).

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I have also eaten at the Sugar Shack and enjoyed the food, but Ocean Isle is a long way from Corolla!

Has anyone tried the Sanderling Inn? That's near Corolla and should have some good dining.

Tortuga's Lie is good also.

My favorite spot is Ocracoke, they have some fabulous restaurants - you would never expect it in such a small, quiet place. Beware though, the Back Porch was sold and is not nearly as good as it once was (and was made famous for). The Cat Ridge Deli has some innovative take-out and offers some great vegetarian options. Creekside Cafe overlooks Silver Lake and has a shrimp salad sandwich that is so good it has actually invaded my dreams on occasion (but I think that's another thread). Atlantic Cafe is more on the Fine Dining end than the other places I've mentioned and is also worth a visit.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Has anyone tried the Sanderling Inn?

well, i haven't had dinner there, but i had a very good brunch there once. my expectations weren't that high so i was very pleasantly surprised.

i second varmint's praise of blue point, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new member to this forum, and believe that I can help you. I own a house in Corolla, so am very familiar with the restaurants. For upscale dining, try the Left Bank, which is right across the street from the Sanderling Inn. $55 three course dinners, $75 five courses. Excellent wine menu.

Elizabeth's Cafe in Duck is outstanding - wine with each course but reservations ususally needed well in advance.

Don't miss Chili Peppers (about milepost 5 1/2) for lunch. Truly excellent soups etc. The Flying Fish (milepost 8 1/2) has always pleased everyone we have sent.

If it is BBQ you wish, there is a stand in Corolla that is first rate. Going north on Route 12 you pass the lighthouse on the left and continue to the road leading to the old chapel and gift shops. Turn left (usually he has a sign right at the corner) and you can smell the que - his stand is on the right. He has the best baked beans I have ever had and the pulled pork is to die for.

I would avoid North Beach in Timbucktu (over-priced) and even Groupers in the same center has never done much for us.

Another fun place is the Roadside Cafe in Duck. Really interesting menu items and always well done. Be sure to order the seafood specials.

Hope you enjoy - good luck with restaurant crowds as things will start hopping in the Outer Banks. Lots of flooded properties with the huge amounts of rain year to date, but the sun can't be too far behind.

Farther south on the OBX, I'd suggest the Colington House Inn in Kill Devil Hills.

Pleasant house, probably seats about 80 people in three rooms. Modern, upscale French accented fish, veal and beef. Many local ingredients. I don't have my notes, but I recall a crab and peppers item, and a substantial piece of grilled tuna. Good wine list and delightful desserts. Assume $80-90 a head with wine and tip

Locally popular, many Land Rovers, Jaguars, Benzes, Lexus, etc. West Ocean Bay Blvd becomes Colington Road.

re: flooding. When we visited a few weeks ago, modest rainfall caused several road flooding situations on the road toward Duck. Development has been extensive, and there's no place for runoff to run off.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo