• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Best Kept Secret in MonCo

MishyPoo

Hello....I just have to tell you all about my favorite restaurant in Western Monmouth County! And, no...I am not an employee of this establishment, but I do go there to eat very often. I want to shout from the rooftops how wonderful I think Spargo's Grille on Route 33 in Manalapan, NJ is!!!! Chef Tim Murphy is one of the best in NJ (in my opinion). Ive been to quite a few 4 & 5 star restaurants around the US & in Europe, and although they are different, Chef Tim's food ranks right up there with me! He is creative and never boring. His nightly specials are just fantastic. Hostess Erin keeps everybody happy and smiling with her wit, beauty and great people skills. The serving staff also is top notch. I love this place and the food is fantastic. I just needed to tell you all about it.

Michelle

If eGullet had existed at the time we had what would have been a Proto egullet meal there in the spring of 01. There were half a dozen folks attending who would several months later join the forum in August.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Hello,

Rosie, if you ate at Spargo's over a year ago, it was good, but now it is even better. Ever since Chef Tim has returned to the helm, the food and ambiance has just gotten a hundred times better. Spargo's re-opened (after a little hiatus) at the end of last summer, and I was so pleasantly surprised at how much better the restaurant became when he returned.

Another MonCo restuarant that I really like is Posillipo's in Asbury Park. Although I do believe this place is well known, it is probably overlooked because of its location. It has been in Asbury Park for many years but I recently discovered Posillipo. The food, IMHO, was what I consider high quality Italian. It reminded me of what Ive seen Lidia Bastianich cook on her cooking shows...good old home style Italian, but a tad fancier. I found the service there to be friendly, yet very attentive.

I also frequent La Cipollina on Main Street in Freehold. I also consider this place a high quality Italian restaurant. I often go there for the $19 prix fix lunch (3 courses). The food is great and the service is good. During dinner hours the service can be a little too good...by that I mean they have like one server for every course, and a separate coffee server, silverware changer, etc. I found it a little ovewhelming...too many waiters, if you get my drift. But at lunch there is usually just one and then the service can be a bit lax. Both Spargo and La Cipollina are BYOB.

Ive often dined at the Main Street Bistro on Main Street in Freehold, but I dont like going there because their servers (a few of them anyway) are very arrogant. Main Street Bistro has good food, but I dont like eating at places that make me feel like they are doing me a favor in serving me.

In case you cannot tell by the few restaurants Ive mentioned here, I reside in Western Monmouth County....Freehold Township to be exact. There arent that many great restaurants in this vincinity, hence my desire to tell you all about Spargo's Grille, which I find to be a top notch place.

Michelle

Michelle, There are too few posters from Western Monmouth, so I welcome you! :smile: As someone who also lives in the area, and who has eaten at the places you have mentioned, your post really interested me.

We ate at Spargo a couple of times right after it first opened and found the food quite inconsistent. Chef Tim previously ran the kitchen at 79 South, in Freehold, which we tried once, but never went back to because we did not find the food to be anything more than mediocre. Although I did not know that Spargo was "on hiatus" for awhile, I have seen advertisements in the Transcript stating that "Chef Tim has returned," but had not considered going there again. However, after reading what you have written, I may give it another try.

Ah, Posillipo's! We haven't been there in ages. We used to go quite often years ago, liked the food, and always enjoyed ourselves. In line with what you say here, someone else recently mentioned to me that she had eaten there not long ago, that the food is still quite good, and that they continue to offer their Wednesday Opera Night. So, it's now on my "go to" list.

Unfortunately, I cannot agree with you at all about La Cipollina. Frankly, I think the food is awful.

Have you tried Portabello? I've eaten dinner twice there. The first time, the food was first rate; the second meal was disappointing.

Main Street Bistro is another case of inconsistent food. Their soups are delicious, but everything else I've had has been hit or miss. However, the thing that totally turns me off -- and the main reason I have stopped going there --is that the noise level is truly unbearable.

Horrendous noise is also a problem with Marielle's new Main Street location. (Not a problem in their previous locale.) It's really a shame because the food's quite good.

Hello,

I do know that when Spargo's Grille first opened up a few years ago, Chef Tim was the chef, but he was not the owner. It was owned by the same people who own the Old Mill Inn in Spring Lake Heights. I tried Spargo when it first opened up and didnt go back for a long time....that is how bad it was. When my husband and I decided to try it again, the food was better, and Tim was gone. He went over to The Old Mill for a while. Then, I dont know exactly what transpired, but Spargo was closed for most of last summer, and when it re-opened, Chef Tim Murphy was now the owner and the Chef. I dont know what happened in that interim, but the food became amazingly much better and the service and ambiance improved a great deal as well. I can only guess that he is now able to run things his way, and his way is fine with me!

Thank you for welcoming my opinions on the restaurants I have been to around this Western Mon Co area. I will be happy to share my thoughts with you on this subject, as food is one of my favorite subjects to discuss!

I have been to Portobello, and did not like it very much. Again, this is a restaurant that started out with a great reputation, but did not keep up with it.

Every time I go to 75 South, it is a big disappointment. They did start serving lunch recently, and I was disappointed again when I tried 75 South for lunch. The menu was very limited and the service was horrible.

As for Marielles, I will probably never go there again, as I have always received terrible service there and when I asked to speak to the owner, Mark, I was ignored and dismissed. Another thing that really gets my ire up is a place that cannot make a good cappucino, and Marielles tries to pass off warm milk for cappucino. (Im Italian and was born in Brooklyn..forgive me! :biggrin: )

I used to go to Marielles quite a bit, but the menu changes very infrequently and the service isnt very good. Mainly, I cant stand going to a place and never ever seeing a menu change over a period of many months. 75 South has that same problem.

SamVera, on Rt 520 in Marlboro, I found to be quite good, except I need to try it more to be more certain about that opinion. They have a great wine list, and are happy to be of service. They also have a party room upstairs, where my friend had her 40th bday party, and it was really very nice.

And finally, I really enjoy Peking Pavillion when I have the yen for Peking Duck. The food there is better than your average Chinese food, but the service can seem harried.

Michelle

Well, at last, someone who has actually eaten at SamVera! :shock: This place has been a total mystery to us. Not a stitch of advertising since it opened. Nothing to tell us what kind of a restaurant it is -- though we guessed Italian since just about every new restaurant that opens around these parts is Italian. :raz: (In case you haven't heard, the space previously occupied by Ray's Seafood in Colts Neck -- a restaurant we liked a lot because it had very good food -- will be re-opening as an Italian.) Not that I have anything against Italian restaurants, mind you. But most of them are just not very good. The previous restaurant in the SamVera location, Nardino, was an example. We tried it twice, and the food was quite awful. And the Italian places ubiquitous in the strip malls along Route 9 are, for the most part, worthless.

I cannot share your opinion of Peking Pavillion. We gave it a try more than once years ago, and the food was worse each time. We are also in the minority in not liking Crown Palace (on Rte 79). Our one meal when it first opened was horrible. Even my husband, who loves Chinese food and will eat it practically anywhere, will not go back to either of those. We prefer Empire Szechuan, in the Willow Pointe strip mall.

Two restaurants we like very much are Aangan for Indian food and Fritzy’s for German. We are also very keen on Pooket, the Thai restaurant in Old Bridge, which I have posted about. We had another very good meal there a few days ago. We also go to Peter’s Fishery, in Matawan, for two particular items: my husband loves their “Mediterranean Morsels” – a variety of seafood morsels in a red sauce atop linguini – and I always order the fried shrimp platter – a huge portion of fried shrimp, perfectly deep-fried, crispy, and greaseless. They come with excellent fries, and homemade cole slaw and tartar sauce. Manhattan Clam Chowder is terrific as well.

I enjoy Peking Pavillon as well...Rosie, is Spago the place we went with the old foodbytes group? I can't give an opinion on the food..I was overwhelmed with meeting everyone! Ah, brings back memories...And you had the Turley...my wine snob husband still talks about the "Rosie internet lady with the zin" . Granted, he'll never go to another gathering ( "How can you all be so serious about FOOD???!!!" ) but I recall he insisted on going to that one, since it was my first time meeting people...after a few hours with the group, he declared you all "harmless" and gave his blessings to whatever internet food hook ups I wanted to make...a sign of a healthy marriage, right?

Hey, don't forget me, another foodie in Western Monmouth (Millstone certainly qualifies).

Sounds like we have another dinner at Spargo's brewing to do some food rating :) We were there about a month ago and had a great dinner.

If we have another get together there, I promise to supply the Turley

Tom

Tom D

I enjoy Peking Pavillon as well...Rosie, is Spago the place we went with the old foodbytes group?  I can't give an opinion on the food..I was overwhelmed with meeting everyone!  Ah, brings back memories...And you had the Turley...my wine snob husband still talks about the "Rosie internet lady with  the zin" . Granted, he'll never go to another gathering ( "How can you all be so serious about FOOD???!!!" )

That was the one. This was the dinner where your husband related the story of the fundraiser he attended where the valet parking folks accidentally drove his vehicle into the side of a house... :laugh:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I enjoy Peking Pavillon as well...Rosie, is Spago the place we went with the old foodbytes group?  I can't give an opinion on the food..I was overwhelmed with meeting everyone!  Ah, brings back memories...And you had the Turley...my wine snob husband still talks about the "Rosie internet lady with  the zin" . Granted, he'll never go to another gathering ( "How can you all be so serious about FOOD???!!!" )

That was the one. This was the dinner where your husband related the story of the fundraiser he attended where the valet parking folks accidentally drove his vehicle into the side of a house... :laugh:

I don't remember that story. Kim you will have to bring your hubby next time to retell it. If Tommy is bringing Turley then I am in. :biggrin:

BTW--Kim --Can you give us the inside scoop on the NY board (start a new topic) on what David Burke's future plans are?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Ouch! I do remember that story. As a follow up to Monmouth dining, our beloved county has certainly been sliding downhill regarding dining.

Two of our favorites Caspita and Bistro J have both closed. Stand bys like 75 South, Indigo Moon, Bistro Zeeto, Moonstruck etc. have either slipped a couple of notches or have closed.

Freehold, except for El Meson, is a culinary wasteland. The shore has a couple of new places that show promise (Mazi, Citrico) but they are not as good as what has gone.

I hate to say this but there are some towns in north Jersey (like Montclair) that probably have more great restaurants then all of Monmouth County.

Rosie, it did pain me to say that:)))))))))))

Hopefully the dining scene in this area will get better.

We now go down to the Cherry Hill area every few weeks as there are some excellent restaurants down there and it's easy for us to drive to.

All of the above is IMO of course.

Tom

Tom D

Mazi 401 Main St. Bradley Beach 732-775-8828. Eclectic Mediterranean cuisine BYO

Citrico's Mediterranean Italian Grill 812 Main St. Bradley Beach 732-988-6565 They have a liquor license.

Have had some good and bad meals at both.

Tom

Tom D

I hate to say this but there are some towns in north Jersey (like Montclair) that probably have more great restaurants then all of Monmouth County.

Tom -

do you have any thoughts on why that might be?

on the surface, a place like Red Bank prob has similar demographics to Montclair, Summit, Millburn, Ridgewood or Morristown. Artsy core shopping area, Schwab, Fidelity offices, affluent, good schools, etc. It would seem that good restos would thrive in an environment like that.

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (Tom D @ Apr 27 2003, 12:40 PM)

Tom -

do you have any thoughts on why that might be?

on the surface, a place like Red Bank prob has similar demographics to Montclair, Summit, Millburn, Ridgewood or Morristown. Artsy core shopping area, Schwab, Fidelity offices, affluent, good schools, etc. It would seem that good restos would thrive in an environment like that.

Paul

you know why monco on the most part has very few high quilty rest is because on the most part people are cheap in that area. and its sad to say that since it is a very affluent county on the most part.

also another thing i feel is that when a rest. become known to be good and has a good rep after a while they relly start to think who they are and the food starts to slip alittle bit.

and paul you are right about red bank having similar demographics to montclaire and such but red bank is the excpetion in monco. there are good rest. in rb, its the rest of the county that is lacking.

You know what really shocks and surprised me?? That there are no good restaurants in Princeton. Not even a good place to grab a nice lunch. Maybe some of you know of a "good" restaurant in Princeton?

Michelle

[That was the one. This was the dinner where your husband related the story of the fundraiser he attended where the valet parking folks accidentally drove his vehicle into the side of a house... :laugh:

I don't remember that story. Kim you will have to bring your hubby next time to retell it. If Tommy is bringing Turley then I am in. :biggrin:

BTW--Kim --Can you give us the inside scoop on the NY board (start a new topic) on what David Burke's future plans are?

You know what really shocks and surprised me??  That there are no good restaurants in Princeton.

what really surprises me is that there aren't very many good restaurants in montclair or ridgewood either . :blink:

but, for the most part, my poorer friends have much better taste in food than my wealthy friends.

Edited by tommy (log)

You know what really shocks and surprised me??  That there are no good restaurants in Princeton.  Not even a good place to grab a nice lunch.  Maybe some of you know of a "good" restaurant in Princeton?

Michelle

There are a few. Mauin Street in the Princeton Shoppping Center on Harrison. Ajeshi and Nassau sushi are both gems. Therese's is predictable, but has a handful of winners on the menu. Hogie Haven and Chuck's wings for downscale delicious. Masala grill is wonderful, too. Conte's pizza is hte best, IMHO. Those are in the borough..there are a few more in the township, and nearby towns.

Hi Kim

Wow! did not think anyone knew about the rowing on the Cooper river.

Actually, I have never been but a good friend at work goes there and to Philly to watch the events on the Schuykill river :biggrin:

What type of food did you have in mind. Can probably recommend almost anything while keeping it casual.

Tom

Tom D