• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

oh,where to eat "cheap Italian" in LA ?

oakland barb

Driving down from Oakland to Los Angeles and Palm Springs next week. We've eaten at Orso a few times (staying in Beverly Hills) and have enjoyed some of the food very much. I've heard about La Buca- any thoughts- and would love any other suggestions. I think this kind of food is far better in the south than north. We'll have an obligatory lunch at Zankou ( a big big favorite) and then...? Also any suggestions for Palm Springs (again the more low key, local spots) would be appreciated.

Angeli Caffe on Melrose is nice and very reasonable, but you won't spot any celebs like at Orso.

For a good cheap breakfast in Palm Springs: Louise's Pantry

44491 Town Center Way, Palm Desert, CA 92260

Phone: (760) 346-9320

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Are you guys serious?  The Italian food in LA can't compare to NYC everytime I order pasta its sum pseudo California experiment.  Where does one find the REAL thing.

We're desperate, but serious.

For a Beverly Hills neighborhood vibe, try Il Pastaio on N. Canon at Brighton. Excellent pasta and risotto, also a few meat and fish specials. I love this place--you get to see toney BH types being real and casual. Very reasonable prices, as well.

For NY style pizza, try Mulberry Street Pizza. This is a casual, counter service lunch joint at 240 Beverly Drive. Very good pizza--makes me feel like I'm in Little Italy.

Angelini Osteria on Beverly Blvd (7313 Beverly Blvd at Poinsettia). has really good Italian food--maybe not the best in the world, but excellent and authentic--possible the best in LA. It can be crowded, but the atmosphere is nice. Unfortunately not cheap--I would say moderate, probably close in price to Orso.

Can't comment on La Buca, as I have never been.

Let us know what you pick!

Other possibilities: Farfalla, 1978 Hillhurst, Campagnola, 1553 Westwood Bl, Far Niente, 204 1/2 N. Brand (Glendale), Marino, 6001 Melrose Ave. On the high end, people either love or hate Giorgio Baldi, 114 W. Channel Road (Santa Monica), which gets a lot of visitors from Malibu Colony. Ciao.