• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casings etc.

helenas

Jane Grigson's Charcuterie for the recipes. I generally prefer to "chop" the meat in a food processor than to grind it, but I use the Kichenaid attachment with the horn to stuff the casings without putting the disc in place. There used to be some casing wholesalers around Canal Street on the far west side. Renwick Street or something like that. My last batch came from a restaurant supply meat wholesaler courtesy of the restaurant connection. A hank can last a long time. Maybe a lifetime if you don't make sausages too often. They do last nearly that long when packed in salt however.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

You can order casings from Niman Ranch. (Sorry, I don't know how to post links, but the address is www.nimanranch.com). As with everything Niman, they are expensive, but I'm sure they are good quality.

In Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet they recommend using half of a two-liter Coke bottle to stuff sausages. I was thinking about trying it since I don't have a KitchenAid. If you are interested in making Thai or Vietnamese sausages, their recipe looks great; also I think there are a number of recipes in David Thompson's Thai Food.

Usually local butchers carry hog casings for sausage, try calling them up beforehand though.

Whatever you don't use just pack back in Kosher salt and keep adding salt until all of the water has been exuded which is usually a couple of days.

crepinettes

I recommend the Grigson book for those too.

Any butcher who makes and sells his own sausages should be able to part with small quantities of casings. I would expect him to expect you to buy your meat there as well.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.