• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal wine lists

Lesley C

Hey Lesley,

I don't remember Delfino having more than 15-20 wines, but I remember them all being a steal. On one visit, I was with the maitre d' of a well known Italian restaurant, whose jaw dropped when they were offereing a 1997 I Sodi di San Nicolo for a mere 80$ . Most restaurants who were lucky enough to carry that wine on their list at the time were selling it at 150$ and more.

You're right though, a small wine list makes it difficult to make all palates happy.

I think places that carry only Italian or French wines can get have great lists since in Italy and France you have so many grape varieties that you can match with all types of cuisine. Having a small quantity of only Italian or French wines, on the other hand, makes it difficult to please all patrons.

:biggrin:

i hate the cult cab drinkin,cigar afficianado stockbroker steakhouse types they market  too,its not me

Hey Dave- - aren't these the guys that pay your bills at Globe?! Hahaha. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

My $0.02 - Best 514 wine lists are Express (by far, both value and for breadth - who else in town carries Torbreck's Juvenile as well as Chateau La Croix de Gay?!), Globe (good for post deal-closing blowouts - but seriously, get rid of the Liberty School cab, you might as well sell Little Pengiun), Club Chasse (ecltetic, reasonably priced but rising, very food friendly, Hubert is the best sommelier-owner), Buona Notte (price aside, where else can you get the beautiful people with the overpriced but delectable super Tuscans?).

Bistro Champlain has a sick wine list but the food is bland and boring.

• 4 weeks later...
Express wine list is not that good, the thing that i so good is the price of the wines that is cheap.  But drinking a good wine in these cheap inao glass make me sick.

Bring your own glasses, I do, some friends does... start something