• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Watch Your Language: Serviette v. Napkin

Fat Guy

In the interest of full disclosure in this time of seasonal self-reflection I realized today I do use paper napkins sometimes -- IF they have the image of the A-Team on them.

And I prelament seeing the end of these papery paper goods -- even though I bought a scandalous number of packages (for a dime each, as I recall) years ago from the clearance shelf of an unfortunate dusty low-rent so-called "party store," my supply is, sadly, finite.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Fillet rather than filet. And, for god's sake, remember to sound the 't' in valet.

English is a quiltwork tounge

With endless variation.

We borrow words from everyone

Without discrimination.

But there are certain words that, when

Pronounced the way the Frenchmen do,

Our sensibilities offend

As most decidedly non-U.

And so for God's sake don't forget

The 't' in ballet and gourmet.

Edited by ivan (log)

--

ID

--

At breakfast and lunch too.  Cloth napkins are like pretty underwear: a luxury so simple it's silly to go without.

hear, hear.

no paper napkins in this house, except when mom-in-law visits, who thinks it's silly to use cloth cuz, well, then you have to warsh them. 'kay, mum.

As a Canadian, my preference is serviette; however, I discovered very quickly that I can't use that word in central Illinois. I once asked for some serviettes at a local donut place and received a look as if I had said something rude. Umm, errr, napkins please.

Does anyone else set out proper napkins at dinner as a matter of habit, and not just for guests?

At breakfast and lunch too. Cloth napkins are like pretty underwear: a luxury so simple it's silly to go without.

I grew up with cloth napkins. We had to use them for a couple of days, so rather than luxuriant, they were kind of ewwwie.