• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

solo dining in Portland

I've been thinking about this one. Are you coming into town for particular nights or are you asking as a general question. I only ask because I keep thinking of great places and then I know that at some of them you will get a different reception on a Friday/Saturday night than you would during the week.

The places that came to mind are: 3 Doors Down in se Ptld, Fife in ne Ptld (although I haven't been there yet), and Pho Bistro in nw Portland.

I'll try to tailor my thoughts more if you expound on what you're looking for.

Oh. Also, there's a great "underground" called Ripe. They are doing Wednesday night soup, bread, and beer in their coffee ship. There is also live music and the people are great.

Hope this helps,

Neeley

tommy, my sister lived in Portland for quite some time. I will be sure to ask her recommendations, if she doesn't see this thread on her own, and post later.

Noise is music. All else is food.

If you'd prefer company, you could always try to convince Portland gulleteers to show up and eat with you. But I don't think you'll get much attitude anywhere because you're a solo diner.

I checked Ripe's available dates and they're booked full on the last thursday in march but not the first thursday in april. They do "family suppers". If you're interested, you can PM me or Jim Dixon for the contact email. Jim has posted a link to a NYT article that mentions them if you want more details.

I'm not sure what you mean by unique, if you mean unique to the PNW only, I think it might be hard to defend any restaurant as that "unique". All qualifications aside, Higgins has a lovely bar area that includes actual seating at actual tables. It's in a seperate room from the more formal dining area. It's touted as one of the best restaurants in Portland to experience the whole locally grown foodstuffs thing (Heathman is another). I've been to Higgins (their bar area) and it was good, but I didn't think it was a place I'd go out of my way to eat at, but I wouldn't mind eating there again. Their pastry chef is fantastic, the best ice cream I've ever had and I eat and make a lot of ice cream. The problem for me is that I cook many of the same things and do a better job. I do like meeting friends for drinks there, though. I've been to Southpark a few times and really enjoyed their treatment of seafood, but I'm not sure if it would be unique enough for you. Typhoon is a restaurant that runs the whole Pac Rim Asian fusion thing, but if you like straight up Thai food you might not enjoy theirs.

regards,

trillium

Tommy,

I thought of a great place while I was running errands this morning. There is a place in the Pearl District called The Daily. They started with pastries and coffee to go, built up to a simple eat-in menu and then built a very good lunch/weekend brunch menu.

Recently, they have added dinner Wednesday through Saturday nights. I was in for brunch on Sunday and read the menu...it sounded fabulous with entrees ranging from lamb to bucatini to local beef. On Sunday I had a mussel soup that the waitress recommended. It was truly fabulous--mussels in a thick broth with manila clams, potatoes, bacon and parsley. Very few ingredients, extremely fresh, and combined perfectly. I've been thinking about it since.

The decor is clean and contemporary--fits right in with the neighborhood. They have avoided feeling cold and industrial, in part by using the walls as an everchanging gallery which displays local works of art. The service is very sincere and nice, without stepping over the bounds (my bounds) of familiarity.

If you like chocolate and they have the triple chocolate brownie, eat it!

Fife: I haven't been yet so I'm including the link for a recent write-up from the local paper. I think Perry is a pretty reliable source.

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf...regonian?ylvcsp

Pho Bistro is the newest offshoot of a long time Portland establishment. Pho Van has been around a long time and is a simple noodle joint. This new Bistro is in the high rent district (central Pearl) and is completely dissimilar to the noodle shop. I enjoy it because they have very inventive fish entrees on their menu. I do think they they are a bit over priced and stuffy, but lots of people enjoy fancy looking dining more than I do.

3 Doors Down is just off of SE Hawthorne and is a consistently good neighborhood joint. They do great lamb shanks and have consistently excellent pasta. As far as I know, this is the place that introduced Rustichella d'Abruzzo to the Portland area, for which I am incredibly grateful. If they have the trenne with green beans and gorgonzola, I would order it!

Now I see that I've been going on and on. I hope this helps.

Neeley

trillium, i don't know what i mean by unique either. suffice it to say, i can get just about anything i want in NYC any day, from nobu to jean-georges to great thai and vietnamese. so it's not as though i'm starved for great eats necessarly.

but perhaps some good seafood (which is *always* welcome)? is portland known for seafood? are they known for fiddlehead ferns? what is portland known for, and where might i experience "portland." fun, good, lively, etc. i know, i know, i'm a pain in the ass. but i really know very little about portland.

I'd go with good seafood, it's easy to find in Portland, but I'm biased because I'm recovering from 8 years in Chicago where you only get good seafood if you pay, pay, pay. You'll find it on almost every menu you look at here. I'd say Portland is known for consuming lots of local (relatively, if you consider Alaska local) salmon, halibut, sand dabs, dungeness, oysters, chanterelles, lamb, beef, berries, and apples. I think Portland is best known for it's casual approach to eating and drinking, even at the fancier places you'll see jeans and gore-tex jackets, and it's plethora of breweries. There are many small restaurants and not a lot of 'destination' restaurants. I've heard good things about The Daily, which Neeley mentions. Higgins, Heathman, Fife, William's on 12th, Castagna, Wildwood, and Bluehour are all known for using local ingredients. I think the hippest is probably Bluehour... it's the one on the top of my list to try next.

I must add that this part of the country is also known for fried chicken and jo-jos but then you'd be at a tavern, not a restaurant or brewery. I think in all honesty that's what my Singaporean born spouse likes the most of all about Portland. His idea of a great cultural experience is to go to a redneck bar and eat chicken and jo-jos and drink pints of beer and watch people play electronic gambling games.

Hope this helps.

regards,

trillium

While Fife is pretty good, I wouldn't recommend it for a one-nighter for an out-of-towmer (Tommy: one-night out-of-towner...maybe new sig line there).

The original Jakes (aka Jake's Famous Crawfish downtown on 12th) would be my choice. It's got great Portland (old-school Portland, that is) atmosphere and serves a lot of local seafood. The turnover is high so you know the fish is fresh. It's also one of the only places where you can consistently get sturgeon, the other iconic northwest fish and a damn tasy one at that.

My other choice would be Navarre (and not just because they're all friends and they buy olive oil from me). It's called a wine bar, but is really more like a strange little restaurant with a quirky approach to food and wine. It's casual, inexpensive, and very good.

I've also heard good things about dinner at The Daily, but haven't been. And I'll second Trillium's idea of hooking up with Portland eGulletarians. A four top is as easy to get a single.

Jim

ps...Fife pastry chef Steve Smith ups the ante with stuff like carrot sorbet, candied serrano chiles, and apple-cheddar fritters

Edited by Jim Dixon (log)

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Wow, Jim, I am so glad to see you, our Portland Authority, cite Jake's ... I had such a good meal there years ago and have wanted to go back ever since. Really the genuine article, it was. I am thrilled to know it's still good.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

great suggestions everyone!

it might be important to note that it is mrs. tommy who will be going to portland, not me. i'm not sure if that's a consideration when choosing a restaurant. and as much as i'd love to meet up with you folks, i'm not sure mrs. tommy cares! :biggrin:

Hi Tommy,

Like NeroW said, I lived in Portland for awhile. I was stationed in the southeast side, so I'm mainly familiar with that area. On that note, I would agree with the Three Doors Down recommendation, it's a comfy (small) place with consistently good stuff. Hawthorne Blvd, the street that Three Doors Down is right off of, is an interesting area with lots of restaurants, bars, and cafes (as well as shops) that may appeal to you if you were just to walk around a bit. Lemongrass, in the southeast on Stark street (I'm not sure about that street, actually--does anyone else know?), does pretty good Thai in my humble opinion. On the other side of town completely (the northwest side), I ate dinner once at Paley's Place on NW 21st street. Obviously, I can't give a very accurate review, but I thoroughly enjoyed what I ate, as well as what my dinner partner had to eat. The restaurant itself is very pleasant to be in, and we had excellent service. No one else has mentioned this restaurant, so I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has tried it out.

Good luck and have fun.

**Fritz

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Tommy:

I also will be solo in Portland for a business trip in a few weeks (4/10 and 11) so (i) thank you for starting the thread (and everyone else for responding) and (ii) if that is the same time as mrs tommy, ask her if she want to seek some "mushy" hot dogs with me (see Rutts Hut thread)! :laugh:

arent jacques pepin fille and her brand new hubby-chef (congrats) opening a new spot? and what's the cool joint down under the bridge in se?

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Paley's is very good, and I'd recommend it in a minute. Chef Vitaly is a Russian concert pianist, Kimberly a classical dancer who works the front...they fell in love, married, decided to open a restaurant in Portland. Soltner ate at Paley's when he was in town a couple of weeks ago.

cool joint down under the bridge in se?

Bistro Montage...still popular for late nighters, but it's lost a little luster over the past few years. Original owner John died last year and, from what I hear, the food's not quite like it used to be.

edited to include this:

Claudine is working at Ken's Artisan Bakery during the evening wine bar/bistro hours. Betrothed Rollie Weisen, formerly of Rainbow Room and other NY joints, is contemplating new place but nothing open yet.

Jim

Edited by Jim Dixon (log)

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

In 1990? opened a place in NW on 23rd perhaps. Mediterranean and slamming. Still remember meals there. Young people, an oriental woman i think. Are they still there?

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

When I was in Portland a few weeks back I dined solo at both Pambiche and Canita. Both were great, and definitely FUN. (Of course, Cuban food is no novelty for someone from New York.) I prefer Pambiche, though the menus are very similar. Here's Jim Dixon's review. (And thanks, Jim, for introducing me to Pambiche. The banana shake is one of the best drinks I've ever drunk.)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Anyone know the gentleman and his company making whiskey and brandy and kirsch and slivovice etc in Portland? Pears in bottles, the whole bit. Amazingly good stuff that even compares favorably to Euro hooch. He has people over for tastings and tours; definitely something to which I'll drag my friends next I'm there. Or go solo... :wink:

Edited by lissome (log)

-Beaumarchais

In 1990? opened a place in NW on 23rd perhaps. Mediterranean and slamming. Still remember meals there. Young people, an oriental woman i think. Are they still there? 

Probably Zefiro (Monique Siu was original pastry chef, now owner of Castagna, altho' rumor is it's on the block), corner of NW 21st and Glisan. Zefiro is widely credited with launnching Portland's more forward-thinking restaurant wave. Bruce Cary was one of the partners, and his newish (3 yrs old) place Bluehour raised the bar again.

the gentleman and his company making whiskey and brandy and kirsch and slivovice...

...would be Steve McCarthy atClear Creek Distillery. He's using pot stills to make various eau de vies from local fruit, including a pear-in-the-bottle poire william. Here's what stefanyb had to say about the stuff:

The producer Clear Creek Distillery out of Oregon makes pear brandy.  Not sweet in the least, I suppose it would be considered an eau de vie, and pairs very will with tonic.  This producer makes, IMHO, a fabulous product.  The aroma of Bartlett pears is intoxicating, 40% alchohol in a 375 Mil. bottle for about $25.  You can get it at Crossroads (14th st bet 5-6th ave NYC)

over on the booze boards

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Thanks Jim, those are they.

Magnificent Japanese gardens in PDX too.

-Beaumarchais

thanks, all, for the recs.

mrs. tommy ended up at Jake's (not sure which one, but the one that people there said was better). she had some good crabcakes (although the inclusion of shrimp was not entirely acceptable), and some of the best crab ever. so sweet that it needed nothing at all.

i'm told that we have to go to portland for a quick vacation, as it's beautiful, and has a lot of dining options. i'll see if i can't make that happen soon.

cheers.

Glad to hear mrs. tommy enjoyed Portland. If you do end up vacationing there, I recommend budgeting some time to spend in Seattle as well. Having lived in both (Portland 30 years, Seattle 9) I have to say that though Portland is very nice and has several unique attractions, Seattle is the prettier city and has more dining options.