• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Bitter End: Our Cravings, Ourselves

Fat Guy

HOORAY!! Maggie, what an honest and enjoyable article. Now, I'll definitely be on a lunchtime chocolate search... :raz:

I too am excited to meet you on Saturday!

--Fritz

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Thank you so much for that article. I forwarded on to my husband, who this week watched in awe as I ate raw cookie dough while weeping at the Tim Horton's commercial of the kids in Scotland getting a Timmy's coffee maker. We're newlyweds.

Right On.

PS  My daffs are blooming.

Now this is worse than seeing pictures of orphaned kittens. I may have to weep uncontrollably and find the leftover Hallowe'en candy.

One or two tiny croci up here.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

My favorite quote:

"Vitamin E is said to help counter anxiety, depression, and feelings of homicidal rage. "

Ah, the ever-useful vitamin e, for those frequent bouts with inconvenient homicidal rage...

Maggie, you crack me up. A marvelous article, and best of all, impeccably and stylishly written. And no, I'm not just saying that because it's the end of the quarter and I'm buried in student writing! You have an excellent voice in your prose, and we're all enjoying it immensely!

Heading back to comma splice watch,

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

My favorite quote:

"Vitamin E is said to help counter anxiety, depression, and feelings of homicidal rage. "

Ah, the ever-useful vitamin e, for those frequent bouts with inconvenient homicidal rage...

Maggie, you crack me up.  A marvelous article, and best of all, impeccably and stylishly written.  And no, I'm not just saying that because it's the end of the quarter and I'm buried in student writing!  You have an excellent voice in your prose, and we're all enjoying it immensely!

Heading back to comma splice watch,

Batgrrrl

Batgrrl:

You crack me up too! Thanks.

It takes one hell of a woman to watch those comma splices!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Thanks for the link, fatguy!  :laugh:

Great article!

Many thanks, Rackula.

And welcome to eGullet. Hope to hear much more from you...about everything.

Best,

Maggie

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

A nice read Lily, thanks for sharing. And FG, thanks for pointing it out.

But what's so shameful about two hours on the couch, wallowing in a pint of Chubby Hubby and admiring Ralph Fiennes's bare butt while you sob your way through The End of the Affair? Nothing. Or so I thought.

Forgot to ask, may I choose someone else's bare butt?

Edited by elyse (log)

Elyse, my sister:

Anyone's tush you desire could replace that of the ineffable Ralph! You're in charge, remember. :biggrin:

Claire: Breastfeeding. Hmmm. I'll pitch it to FG!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Ditto all the good stuff everyones else has already said.

Like others here, I forwarded it to my girlfriends as well, and they have now forwarded it to their girlfriends.

It was the topic of conversation at my girls' night out last week.

The Dude was laughing hysterically when I read it to him yesterday. "Freaking hilarious" were his exact words, I believe.

Kudos to you, Maggie, and thanks for writing it!

• 3 weeks later...