• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reasonable Italian in DC/VA?

jamesglu

There is a great profusion of high-end Italian places in DC (e.g., Tosca, Galileo, Obelisk, Maestro...) but I have yet to find a reliably good moderately priced Italian restaurant where you can go of a weekday evening when you just cannot bring yourself to cook but want something good (like mamma used to make?). Is there anything that fits this bill?

I can tell you one candidate that clearly falls short: Roberto Donna's low end Il Radicchio.

I ate at the Capitol Hill branch recently and it was dreadful. Of the seven dishes our group ordered, two were damn near inedible. The first was a tuna, egg, and potato salad that had a disctinctively off odor and flavor. One small bite each and back it went. The second was a clam sauce that was like some new liquid form of pure salt. There was so much salt that it was essentially impossible to taste what else might have been in the sauce. Some olive oil perhaps? Even canned soups and broths aren't nearly as salty as this was. The rest of the meal was better, but only by comparison. The pears in a special pear, gorganzola and walnut salad were hard, dry, and tasteless. The dressing lacked any distinctive flavor of any kind. Pasta was served well beyond al dente.

We didn't try the pizza, but I'm not eager to go back and chance it.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Don't get me started on Il Radicchio! I went there once (years ago) with friends to the 17th Street NW location. One of my friends had a salad that she later noted had a cockroach in it. She and her husband were too shy to bring it to the attention of the staff (!) so I jumped in, and called the waiter to deal with it. Sure enough, he took away the salad, but then he returned it to us, minus the cockroach! He didn't even bring a new salad, or even just top it up to make it look like a new salad! Then for some unknowable reason we went to their Fairfax location (also some years ago) and though we did not have any cockroaches in our dishes the food was so awful that we decided to cross the place off our list for good.

We tried Al Tiramisu in Dupont Circle on Saturday night. The food was quite good -- risotto with porcini was fabulous, and grilled sardine appetizer was delicious. Osso buco with risotto milanese also very good, although more tomato-y than I have seen before. Not exactly cheap, but not outrageously expensive. I think the main dishes were in the $25 range.

I hear 2 Amy's is very good, but haven't tried it yet. I think it's hard to find reasonably priced, good Italian cooking in DC.

Yes stay far far away from Il Radicchio if you are looking for good italian. If, however you are looking for a bowl of never ending spaghetti and a mediocre sauce of your choice then you're at the right place. The pizzas are a better bet.

For good moderately priced italian:

San Marco in Adam's Morgan around 18th and Wyoming is a great little spot. I think it gets overshadowed by being in the same neighborhood as Pasta Mia, so I have never seen it crowded but the food is good, reliable, and very reasonable. Pasta seems to be the main attraction on the menu, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the fish dishes I have eaten. The wine list also offers some good, reasonable wines.

Pasta Mia is a great place for pasta (I especially love the tortellini with creamy tomato sauce) but the line to get in is usually insane. The worst part is that you literally have to wait in line. There is not list that you put your name on and then walk around Adam's Morgan for a while and return for your table. It's a cult favorite - hence the lines - but while I love the place, I would not necessarily say that it is so spectacular as to be "worth" an often 45-60 minute wait (most of which occurs outside). The ambiance is very mom-and-pop: red-and-white checkered table cloths, minimal decoration, small space. But if you manage to go when you can avoid a wait or perhaps only wait 20 minutes, it is worth a trip.

Anna Maria's in Dupont on Connecticut is pleasing spot if you are in Dupont and it is convenient (which it is for me). A dimly-lit, cozy setting with attentive and friendly wait staff; the food is consistantly if not spectacular or adventurous.

I have not been to Al Tiramisu but have tried on several occassions each attempt failing due to lack of reservations or other time constraints. You definitely have to make reservations. I am dying to try the place though as it has been recommended to me by several different reliable sources.

I liked the one meal I enjoyed at Spezie quite a bit. I remember getting an Italian flag-like salad of arugula and radicchio with parm, and then a ravioli dish. It wasn't a compelling meal but it was nice, comfortable but definitely classy. Their bar has a great view of L Street and seems ideal for a glass of wine with a coworker. If I still worked a day job near there I'd probably have lunch there occasionally.

• 5 months later...

This is one of my biggest complaints about the DC area - the lack of good (non-high end) Italian food. I moved down here from Boston 4 years ago and I am still searching DC to find a decent one in the city, though I have found 2 outside of DC that I believe are worth the trip:

1. Bellissimo in Fairfax City - the food, waitstaff, and atmosphere there were very good. They are perhaps less expensive than a Galileo, but still on the high side ($17-23 per entree).

2. Maria's in Annapolis - I have only been here once as I do not get to Annapolis often, but the food was very good. Also in Annapolis there is a Gelateria (Aroma D'Italia) on the waterfront that is very good.

If you're ever in Boston though, I definitely recommend the North End - Good Italian food and you pretty much can't go wrong with any restaurant there.

We didn't try the pizza, but I'm not eager to go back and chance it.

The pizza's actually pretty good - not quite Pizzeria Paradiso, but certainly better than the Library cafeteria's. I've never actually tried any of the other dishes, and from the general consensus I suspect I'm better off. :unsure:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

For cheap and usually pretty good, I go to Pasta Plus in Laurel (hey that's where I live)...

Though I haven't been to Pasta Plus now in 2-3 years, I've probably been there 50 times in my life. It was the best restaurant in Prince Georges County 10 years ago, as far as I'm concerned, though I can't vouch for it now. It isn't that cheap though, is it?

Well, it certainly is pretty good. Quite possibly it was or still is the best in PG County. It isn't cheap cheap cheap, but it is a nice moderately priced restaurant. Their pastas are very well priced (many under $10) and their specials are almost always under $20. One can get in and out of there for as little as $30 for two (w only pasta entrees and no wine but with tax and tip) but more realistically for about $60-80 ($60 for two entrees (includes salad) and 2 desserts, $80 if you include a middle of the road one of their wine selections (not terribly broad a selection)). Not cheap, but not really expensive either.

I have two suggestions---

in Alexandria, try Ecco Cafe in Oldtown. It's sort of slipped lately, but it's still quite tasty and reasonably priced, one of the few decent places in the area.

I also like Luigi's on 19th Street. The food isn't particularly groundbreaking, but it's a cozy neighborhood spot with all the traditional red-sauce fare for good prices. It's also been around a long, long time. Otello's in DuPont is another good bet, though the service is INSANELY slow!!

• 3 months later...

Luigis was 2 of the most mediocre (at best) meals I have had in DC. The first time there I ordered a pasta with scallops dish that was overcooked. I figured that may have been ambitious so I went again and had a bland pizza. I would not recommend at all.

I enjoed Filomena's in Georgetown a lot, contrary to someone else's hatred of it in another list. The food there was all very fresh and plentiful. Their lobster ravioli was very good as is the seafood pasta that was teaming with very good clams, mussels, etc. Plus the free booze at the end of the meal is always a bonus!

What about Pines of Italy? There used to be a bunch around including the 1 in Arlington on Wilson Blvd...haven't been to any of them in years, but they fit the type of restaurant I grew up with in Central Pa -lots of tomato sauce, linguini, ravioli, spaghetti, lasagna and big portions!

If you're looking for very good but decidedly casual Italian in N.Va., I'd recommend La Piazza, on Braddock Road across from the Braddock Road metro stop.

The owners (husband and wife Carlo Pascarella & Cinzia Ramundo) are both from Italy and they make some of the best, cheapest Italian/Italian-American food around. Nothing costs over $10, and all entrees come with great garlic bread (that they get from Gold Crust Bakery on Rt.1 in Alexandria, the same bakery that apparently supplies Equinox and Dean & Deluca) and a (good but not great) salad. As for the entrees, they offer the traditional Italian-American favorites (i.e., veal parm., etc.) but I lean towards other dishes, namely the Bucatini all' Amatriciana (bucatini, pancetta, tomato sauce and pecorino), the Penne alla Vodka (penne in a great pink-vodka sauce with prosciutto & red onion), or the Spaghetti alle Alici (spaghetti with plum tomatoes and anchovies).

At least one of the owners (husband and wife) is there each night taking orders. The process is somewhat unique in my experience, whereby you order at the counter (but don't pay yet), take a seat (all open seating), and the bread & salads are brought to your table. The staff is adept at not waiting to fire your entrees until you've finished your salad; everything always comes out piping hot. Once done, just go to the counter (they'll remember what you had) and tell them what you had to drink (as non-alcoholic drinks are just from a walk-in and it's serve-yourself & the honor system).

All in all, it's a great place to have a cheap and enjoyable evening. After a couple of visits the owners will get to recognize you and anticipate your orders.

My two cents,

-David M.

David

Agreed - this is sore spot with me too.

Kuna is great, although I was there last week and their already-small menu had shrunk further. It was a Wednesday night so perhaps that's why there were no specials? We were offered a selection of seven or eight appetizers (risotto pancake ALL THE WAY!), several salads, five or six pasta and just two entrees. One was a fish, and the other was flank steak which I selected in an effort to keep my day's worth of carbs low. It was good, but not fantastic; not as flavorful as I had hoped (priced at $15.95). The rest of my party feasted on the always-excellent penne with spicey vodka sauce. I filched more than a few bites (oops) and was filled with jealousy. And protein, lots of protein.

2 Amys is good for pizza, deep-fried risotto balls and perhaps a salad, but not Italian entrees. I don't think they even offer any.

A lot of people like Faccia e Luna. I don't.

On the other hand, Paolo's in Georgetown, another mini-chain, suits me from time to time. They serve a delicious spread with warm breadsticks and the pastas, IMHO, are decent. Not everyone will agree with me there though.

Maybe I should just be glad that my favorite Italian spots in DC are expensive ones. Anything to reduce my carb intake!

I am very spoiled having grown in up in St. Louis where very good Italian-American places are commonplace. I usually just wait until I am back in town to get my fix, but I haven't been home in over a year.

I'm sure I am going to be in a carb and tomato sauce induced coma after Christmas.

Bill Russell

Luiginos near the old convention center has alwasy done me right, not exactly cheap but always turning in a good, solid mid-level performance.

Luigi's has been around for more than 50 years and is can be a pleasant place to eat utterly unmemorable (but not, in my experience, bad) Italian food.

And just to see who rises to the bait, I'll say that I enjoy stopping in to AV Ristorante on 11th (?) and New York, just to hear the Caruso 45s on the Juke box and eat linguini with clam sauce.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

And just to see who rises to the bait, I'll say that I enjoy stopping in to AV Ristorante on 11th (?) and New York, just to hear the Caruso 45s on the Juke box and eat linguini with clam sauce.

AV is OK, but I miss the Roma, formerly across the street from the Uptown. It was a unique experience, eating spaghetti with all of the dead animals staring down at you.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I really have to disagree with the Luigi's recommendation. I've eaten there twice based on its reputation. My first meal was a mushy and practically tasteless carbonara and my second was a cheese manicotti with a marinara sauce so salty that I couldn't eat more than one bite. I am definitely now expert when it comes to Italian cooking, but I do know that I make much better Italian food at home.

My best experiences in the metro area have far and away been at Filomena in Georgetown. Yes, the decor is over the top, but the service is attentive, the pasta is fresh and perfectly cooked, and the sauces are awesome.

AV is OK, but I miss the Roma, formerly across the street from the Uptown.  It was a unique experience, eating spaghetti with all of the dead animals staring down at you.

That place was great, although during my vegetarian years it freaked me out.

Further up on Connecticut there is a place called Trattoria Lilliana (I think) that might be what you are looking for. The cross street is Albemarle, across the street from the drive through BK.

It has only been about a year, but apparently it has become "the neighborhood restaurant". All the pasta is housemade and is suppose to be out of this world. I haven't been yet, but it looks crowded enough at the right times.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

AV is OK, but I miss the Roma, formerly across the street from the Uptown.  It was a unique experience, eating spaghetti with all of the dead animals staring down at you.

That place was great, although during my vegetarian years it freaked me out.

The Garden is still in use, for sandwiches and wine at Firehook. Slightly surreal and, sadly, just not the same ambiance.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.