• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arguments Against Sous Vide

2 hours ago, Bernie said:

SV is my go to for pork.

That's where I found it most appealing in our kitchen! Pork tenderloin is quite nice with SV, fat pork chops sous-vide then seared are also very nice. With a thinner chop, I still tend to pan-fry but thicker ones are tricky for me to get right in a pan alone. 

I only tried steaks via SV a couple of times. I think I like regular grilling better for two reasons. First, the regular grilled steak just tastes and looked better to me. I'm completely open to the possibility that I just didn't do a very good job at SV with them (!), but cooking steaks on the grill is one of the few cooking tasks that my husband enjoys and frankly, I like a night off now and then. 🙂

I too am interested in trying SV with halibut now. I did SV salmon a few times but not sure it was better than just doing a steam-broil in the Cuisinart Steam Convection oven. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Except if I'm doing a bunch of steaks of varying size, then SV makes it easy and lets me have more time to be a host.

This makes a lot of sense!  🙂

Because of the Anova, for sous-vided fish, I'm no longer wrapping in vacuum sealed bags. 113ºF / 45ºC is my ideal temperature for the fish. Sometimes I heat up the oven to put a little crust on the fish, but mostly not. Usually I have sides with plenty of crunch or sizzle.

Last weekend I had 3 bags sous-vide duck breast and 1 bag sous-vide duck leg. These got warmed from freezer to 130ºF in the Joule s.v., then popped into a really hot, hot pan skin side down for a few minutes. The meat was then sliced.

Accompanied by

@weinoo's baked beans with roasted garlic and parmesan and a few toast triangles. Also some roasted artichoke hearts.

So most of my host time was spent with the guests.

Edited by TdeV
Typing. (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Just watched, and well, it is her opinion, just another opinion. Like mine is.

Some bits I agree, even , I could mercy a 40% agreement... if she didn't jumped into the childish men/women differences...

• Like 2

I bought an Anova  stick after reading the enthusiasm here. I liked what it could do and bought one each for my two sisters. Then I realized how much plastic I was using. I haven't used sous vide for at least 4 years, mainly because I don't like all that plastic waste.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kerala said:

I bought an Anova  stick after reading the enthusiasm here. I liked what it could do and bought one each for my two sisters. Then I realized how much plastic I was using. I haven't used sous vide for at least 4 years, mainly because I don't like all that plastic waste.

I have used reusable silicone bags but frankly they are a pain to clean. I have often used ziplock freezer bags that can be reused. I also don't mind using chamber sealer bags that my meat often comes in. I have even resealed these but it can be a bit dodgy with a small vacuum sealer. I like your sentiment, but figure it is a small thing in my overall plastic use.

We have a scheme to collect soft plastic but in actuality there is no recycle path for this waste stream. We still collect it on principle.

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

One need not seal the top of the bag. Just keep the open top clipped to the SV vessel.

Water pressure will hold the meat tight to the plastic.

• Thanks 1