• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Masontops Pickle Pipes for Fermenting

gfweb

Masontops Pickle Pipes - Waterless Airlock Fermentation Lids - Wide Mouth Mason Jar Fermenter Cap - Premium Silicone Top (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Anyone ever use these?  Looks like just the right size for me.  Great size for experimentation.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)

I've used them. I like them. I have sets for wide-mouth and regular-mouth Mason jars. I think they work well. One word of caution: they do allow "burping" out the pipe top, and some liquid as well as gas may escape. To be safe, put your fermentation jars in some sort of containment. Here's what I did last February.

Edited to add: I too like the ability to ferment in small batches. Quart-sized jars work well for me. Note however that there are also half-gallon and gallon Mason jars with the same top size, and the Pickle Pipes will work on them as well.

Edited by Smithy
Added comment, then edited it (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

40 minutes ago, Smithy said:

One word of caution: they do allow "burping" out the pipe top, and some liquid as well as gas may escape. To be safe, put your fermentation jars in some sort of containment.

This has been my experience with them as well. They're a good product if you're looking to get into fermentation at home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

Anyone ever use these? 

I have used these lids just a couple of times for sauerkraut but I know folks who use them a lot and swear by them. I think they're pretty cool and plan to use them again with some more fermentation soon (I hope). 

As @Smithysays, a bit of liquid can emerge at times, so heed her advice about placing jars inside something. 

The only thing I would say is that you will most likely still need some kind of weight or screen to hold your produce under the brine while fermenting. Masontops also has Pickle Pebbles for this purpose (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), or you can buy a kit with lids, weights and a tamper or another kit with lids and weights only.

(If you search under Masontops, you'll see the various options.)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Masontops also has Pickle Pebbles for this purpose (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), or you can buy a kit with lids, weights and a tamper or another kit with lids and weights only.

Their older style lacked the 'grip' on top, which made taking them out of the jar a bit tricky. This new design is a big improvement.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I have used these lids just a couple of times for sauerkraut but I know folks who use them a lot and swear by them. I think they're pretty cool and plan to use them again with some more fermentation soon (I hope). 

As @Smithysays, a bit of liquid can emerge at times, so heed her advice about placing jars inside something. 

The only thing I would say is that you will most likely still need some kind of weight or screen to hold your produce under the brine while fermenting. Masontops also has Pickle Pebbles for this purpose (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), or you can buy a kit with lids, weights and a tamper or another kit with lids and weights only.

(If you search under Masontops, you'll see the various options.)

25 minutes ago, Vapre said:

Their older style lacked the 'grip' on top, which made taking them out of the jar a bit tricky. This new design is a big improvement.

I haven't really found those weights to be weighty enough to do their job. If/when my life calms down enough to work on preserving foods again, I want to look into the screen ("cheese mesh") that @FauxPas dicussed here.

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

I haven't really found those weights to be weighty enough to do their job. If/when my life calms down enough to work on preserving foods again, I want to look into the screen ("cheese mesh") that @FauxPas dicussed here.

Update: In a fit of classic eG enablement, I made the leap of faith that my life will calm down enough again. Last night I ordered this set of plastic cheese meshes (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 3