• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spaghetti carbonara...in a can

Alex

I have no words. At least there's an ocean between it and us, for now. I wonder if there's time for Customs & Border Protection to add it to the banned items list.

News that Heinz is launching spaghetti carbonara in a can has been met with horror in Italy, particularly in Rome where the classic pasta dish is most famously associated.

-------

The product, set to go sale in UK supermarkets in September with a £2 price tag, contains "pasta in a creamy sauce with pancetta" and "no artificial colours".

At first I thought the article was lifted from The Onion or similar, but, sadly, no.

Does any UK-based eG'er want to take one for the team? :S

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

@Alex

interesting 

''   Italians on social media reacted with fury  '''

I really doubt it .

still , a free Kudos to the first person that actually sees this in a store.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Chef Boyardee, Spaghetti-Os, and now this ... What's next, Pizza-in-a-Pouch?

By coincidence last night I evaluated Backpacker's Pantry freeze dried beef Bolognese in a pouch.  "Pasta, beef, and vegetables in an Italian inspired ragu."  Just add water.  Actually it was not half bad.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

CB

ravioli

w amendments 

ordinary cheeze

in the GE toaster oven

got me thro0ugh TradeSchool

and was delicious.

OK added a bit of dried oregano , and a lot of cheese

CB makes some things

one can work with 

and very affordable //

that was some time ago 

but CB had a very interesting history,

• Like 2

I have a vague memory of my brother and I begging our parents to get Spaghetti-Os, we saw ads for them constantly on TV.  And our school friends talked about having them (and McDonalds too).  So one day, my mom bought a can, and we had it.  It was awful.  We spit it out but she made us finish the can since we insisted on having it.

Maybe through the wonders of technology, pasta in a can has improved in the last 50 or so years? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The Guardian's article on the same story lists the ingredients pointing out that in addition to the usual pasta and eggs

it includes pancetta, cornflour, skimmed milk powder, cheese powder, sugar, garlic flavouring, onion extract and dried parsley.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I have a vague memory of my brother and I begging our parents to get Spaghetti-Os, we saw ads for them constantly on TV.  And our school friends talked about having them (and McDonalds too).  So one day, my mom bought a can, and we had it.  It was awful.  We spit it out but she made us finish the can since we insisted on having it.

Maybe through the wonders of technology, pasta in a can has improved in the last 50 or so years? ;)

I doubt it, given the list of powders and flavors.

• Like 1