• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who loves eggs with coffee?

Hello everyone, so I'm here just to introduce myself. I'm from a little island, you can try to guess where, where the climate on the seaside is not like the mountainside.

This island is so big it'll probably take you about 10 hours to travel by vehicle from point to point.

Now I'm not a foodie. I don't live to eat. But I love a terrific tastes, and love trying out local cuisines when travelling.

Local cuisines have uniqueness to them, and while I notice foreigners not quite liking cuisines in some lands, sometimes all it takes is to put your biased tastebuds aside and embrace the flavours like something sophisticated, and something intriguing and exciting. And there you find it tasting so beautiful all of a sudden.

And that's why the Eggs with Coffee. Trust me,

1. Break an egg, and beat it up

2. Now continue beating, as you pour in a hot (not so hot) black coffee

3. Now drink.

You can call it what you want, but I call it delicious.

Glad to have joined this community. I love roasting. And I don't mean food here.

I truly love tasting local cuisines in foreign lands with fresh, unbiased perspective; They tend to lend an experience of adventure and discovery.

Egg coffee is very popular in Asia, especially Vietnam where it is known as cà phê trứng, but also in Korea, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Japan.

An Introduction to Asian Egg Coffee | CultureReady

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

Fascinating, I'd not heard of egg coffee before.  Hopefully Starbucks won't hear of it and ruin it!

Welcome to eGullet. 

Thanks for the welcome @JeanneCake, and you really must try this egg coffee.

Some people mix in condensed milk as well.

I'll just tell you, if you do it wrong, you'll have egg getting cooked when the hot coffee is poured in. *smiles, so just don't make it into a scrambled egg pudding.

Oh I hope Starbucks doesn't go for this! This egg coffee is an art, and when a commercial giant gets a hold of it, I don't know what could happen.

Edited by nochefschoice
Added more to the comment (log)
  • Like 1

I truly love tasting local cuisines in foreign lands with fresh, unbiased perspective; They tend to lend an experience of adventure and discovery.

7 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

Fascinating, I'd not heard of egg coffee before.  Hopefully Starbucks won't hear of it and ruin it!

Starbucks has a presence in Vietnam but their shops are vastly outnumbered by local outlets. So far they haven't gone down the egg route, but who knows.

Starbucks Coffee Company 

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Wow!

I had never heard of that before either!

I love coffee though, and I might try this one day.

Good thing you mention the coffee should not be all that hot because I was thinking 'omelette' as I started reading. Adding the condensed milk sounds, well, it all is beginning to sound like a perfect dessert to me 😊

1 hour ago, LD-NL said:

Wow!

I had never heard of that before either!

I love coffee though, and I might try this one day.

Good thing you mention the coffee should not be all that hot because I was thinking 'omelette' as I started reading. Adding the condensed milk sounds, well, it all is beginning to sound like a perfect dessert to me 😊

Yep! It is kind of a dessert honestly. I once shared the idea with a good friend of mine from somewhere in Africa, and I can still imagine his eye-brow-shooting-up tone as he looked amused and incredulous at me.

• Like 1

Talk about rabbit holes. I've just come back up for air. I've never heard of egg coffee, but then I don't  spend time on sites with exploding trends. Comparisons to tiramisu (sans cake) are especially swoonworthy. It screams late morning treat. I've learned my lesson about not drinking an iced Vietnamese coffee after 2pm.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I've learned my lesson about not drinking an iced Vietnamese coffee after 2pm.

Ha ha, for sure!
(noon for me)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/22/2024 at 1:08 AM, Katie Meadow said:

Talk about rabbit holes. I've just come back up for air. I've never heard of egg coffee, but then I don't  spend time on sites with exploding trends. Comparisons to tiramisu (sans cake) are especially swoonworthy. It screams late morning treat. I've learned my lesson about not drinking an iced Vietnamese coffee after 2pm.

Rabbit holes I can relate! *smiles, that's one reason I've disabled YouTube history. You know what happens then? YouTube doesn't suggest any videos on it's homepage. And almost never (maybe 0.00001%) use Tiktok or Snapchat.

The egg coffee can be a fantastic late morning treat! But it's an art, so unless someone else is making it, the late morning treat will probably have to wait until work is done. That's why coffee shops sell convenience. Still, I've NEVER tasted a good coffee at a coffee shop. I honestly don't know how people tend to like them. And we take a lot of Arabica. Not Robusta. And when it comes to Arabica there's like whole varieties and blends etc, and the type we go for isn't like coffee shop stuff.

Edit: At least not exactly like the coffee shop stuff I've tried.

Edited by nochefschoice (log)