• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Edited to correct bread type on the Po'Boy. It wasn't a pita wrap.

As in so many other parts of this country, food trucks are springing up in the Duluth area and up the North Shore of Lake Superior. I enjoy checking them out and seeing what they have to offer. I'm sure I've written about some, but not where I can find the posts again -- much less where a visitor might look for them!

I'll start with The Rambler, which bills itself as a mobile catering unit. I've spotted them around town these past months and enjoyed trying their offerings. A couple of days ago they were at the Bent Paddle Brewing Company, where the courtyard gathering was in full and noisy swing. Bent Paddle offers craft brews but no food, and food trucks take turns filling the void.

20240720_104948.jpg

The Rambler truck was parked next to the sidewalk.

20240718_182056.jpg

This was the menu a couple of months ago. It's changed slightly since then, as you'll see.

20240604_121244.jpg

I've had occasion to try their food two or three times in the past few months. I was unimpressed with their falafel, and if I took pictures I've already deleted them. The patties were starchy and flavorless, and I don't recall thinking much of the sauces either. I'm afraid I also don't recall what other sandwich I might have picked up at the time for my darling. He too was unimpressed.

What I do remember from that first visit, and it's repeatable, is their Reuben Fritters. Chunks of corned beef, mixed with shreds of sauerkraut and rolled into balls, then breaded and deep fried. Oh my, these are good! The outside is crisp: crunchy, but not tough. The inside tastes like corned beef and sauerkraut. If there's a binder in play to hold it together, it's unobtrusive. The dipping sauce is a thick version of Thousand Island, and it sets the fritters off nicely.

20240720_105150.jpg

I also indulged in a Shrimp Po'Boy, which doesn't show on that older menu but was available this time. Nice, crispy fried shrimp loaded onto a large sliced bun with tomatoes, lettuce, and their version of remoulade sauce.

20240720_105421.jpg

It was much too messy to eat as a wrap, and I'd already ordered too much food. It was good, though. I think I liked the tomatoes and lettuce with the sauce as much as I liked the shrimp. I split all the food with my four-footed companion and we both had plenty. The only thing left uneaten was the bread itself.

20240720_105307.jpg

Not bad for $22! I'll stop at the truck again sometime. Better still, I hope I can figure out how to make those fritters!

20240718_182056_1.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

As in so many other parts of this country, food trucks are springing up in the Duluth area and up the North Shore of Lake Superior. I enjoy checking them out and seeing what they have to offer. I'm sure I've written about some, but not where I can find the posts again -- much less where a visitor might look for them!

I'll start with The Rambler, which bills itself as a mobile catering unit. I've spotted them around town these past months and enjoyed trying their offerings. A couple of days ago they were at the Bent Paddle Brewing Company, where the courtyard gathering was in full and noisy swing. Bent Paddle offers craft brews but no food, and food trucks take turns filling the void.

20240720_104948.jpg

The Rambler truck was parked next to the sidewalk.

20240718_182056.jpg

This was the menu a couple of months ago. It's changed slightly since then, as you'll see.

20240604_121244.jpg

I've had occasion to try their food two or three times in the past few months. I was unimpressed with their falafel, and if I took pictures I've already deleted them. The patties were starchy and flavorless, and I don't recall thinking much of the sauces either. I'm afraid I also don't recall what other sandwich I might have picked up at the time for my darling. He too was unimpressed.

What I do remember from that first visit, and it's repeatable, is their Reuben Fritters. Chunks of corned beef, mixed with shreds of sauerkraut and rolled into balls, then breaded and deep fried. Oh my, these are good! The outside is crisp: crunchy, but not tough. The inside tastes like corned beef and sauerkraut. If there's a binder in play to hold it together, it's unobtrusive. The dipping sauce is a thick version of Thousand Island, and it sets the fritters off nicely.

20240720_105150.jpg

I also indulged in a Shrimp Po'Boy, which doesn't show on that older menu but was available this time. Nice, crispy fried shrimp loaded onto a pita wrap with tomatoes, lettuce, and their version of remoulade sauce.

20240720_105421.jpg

It was much too messy to eat as a wrap, and I'd already ordered too much food. It was good, though. I think I liked the tomatoes and lettuce with the sauce as much as I liked the shrimp. I split all the food with my four-footed companion and we both had plenty. The only thing left uneaten was the bread itself.

20240720_105307.jpg

Not bad for $22! I'll stop at the truck again sometime. Better still, I hope I can figure out how to make those fritters!