• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza : Around the World Today's NYTimes

rotuts

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/05/dining/readers-favorite-pizza.html?searchResultPosition=7

for review purposes :

'''  Last week, the Food section of The New York Times published an article on a topic described by one reader in the comments as “the most divisive and inflammatory topics to be found in modern America” — pizza.  '''

'''  As recommendations poured in from Lithuania to Australia to St. Petersburg, Fla., it was clear we struck a chord. We combed through over a thousand responses, recapping the experiences of readers’ favorite slices, nostalgic pies and of course, their version of “the best.” Below are 15 of our favorite submissions, which have been edited and condensed.  ''

don't miss this one :

'''  

Fire and Ice

Kathmandu, Nepal

Pepperoni and mozzarella

Italian pizza by an Italian owner using local ingredients in just about the last place you’d imagine. (There’s also a second location in Kolkata, India, that was equally good.) An expat’s treasure!   '''

and Ill put @Duvel in charge of local verification :

'''   

Bei Mama Lisi

Düsseldorf, Germany

Any pizza with spinach crust, and the classic Margherita

The family owned and operated restaurant is drenched in the history of the city. Little Italy is a neighborhood of Italian immigrant worker families who have stayed after the glass factory there closed. Bei Mama Lisi has not changed significantly in 15 years, keeping its dated but charming Mediterranean interior and letting the outstanding quality of the authentic food to do the talking.  '''

Pittsburgh ?

'''  

Mineo’s Pizza House

Pittsburgh

Pepperoni

This pizza is different from any other I have ever tasted. The cheese is heavy, it must rest before eating and does not travel well. The pepperonis are Pittsburgh style, quarter size, and the crust is al dente. I’ve never eaten crust like this anywhere.  ''

and lets no over look Rio :

rio.thumb.jpg.01e7fda452af4bc5c5ee95a66ccc6d81.jpg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

The best pizza I've had in recent years was in Vietnam, of all  places. Prosciutto and arugula / rocket.

20180423_164205.thumb.jpg.63dcda385e54760703dab9fd1277bb7a.jpg.2f95ae34557c102e285bf08d9e27052a.jpg

I've eaten good pizza in Korea, too.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

23 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The best pizza I've had in recent years was in Vietnam, of all  places. Prosciutto and arugula / rocket.

20180423_164205.thumb.jpg.63dcda385e54760703dab9fd1277bb7a.jpg.2f95ae34557c102e285bf08d9e27052a.jpg

Were the prosciutto and arugula added after the pizza was cooked, or were they placed under the broiler/heat? Looks delicious, indeed.

12 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Were the prosciutto and arugula added after the pizza was cooked, or were they placed under the broiler/heat? Looks delicious, indeed.

I didn't see it being cooked but I'd say the prosciutto was cooked with the pizza but the arugula added afterwards to wilt in the residual heat. As I like it. 

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 weeks later...