• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

RanaMN

RanaMN

Spelling

5 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Thanks very much for the Amy Levin reference.  I like the look of what she does in that post, but I agree with you about the stark transitions in her colors.  I think many people who use the marbled effect use an airbrush to spread the colors, but I have not had success--the colors never spread enough unless I use a large amount of colored cocoa butter--and that makes a huge mess.  I also agree that getting the right order for light colors is crucial.  I have some success using a finger (as Amy does), but it's a hit or miss proposition (some are beautiful, others turns brownish with all the colors mixing too much).  I must say that Monde du Chocolat's Easter eggs are incredibly beautiful.

Have you ever seen where it's done in the water? Where cocoa butter is dropped in the water and you stamp it in the mold? If you haven't, let me know and I will try finding the video. ( I have not tired that way yet but I was super intrigued). 

RanaMN

RanaMN

5 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Thanks very much for the Amy Levin reference.  I like the look of what she does in that post, but I agree with you about the stark transitions in her colors.  I think many people who use the marbled effect use an airbrush to spread the colors, but I have not had success--the colors never spread enough unless I use a large amount of colored cocoa butter--and that makes a huge mess.  I also agree that getting the right order for light colors is crucial.  I have some success using a finger (as Amy does), but it's a hit or miss proposition (some are beautiful, others turns brownish with all the colors mixing too much).  I must say that Monde du Chocolat's Easter eggs are incredibly beautiful.

Have you ever seen where it's don in the water? Where cocoa butter is dropped in the water and you stamp it in the mold? If you haven't, let me know and I will try finding the video. ( I have not tired that way yet but I was super intrigued).