• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

We arrived late on a Tuesday night at the Kona airport, which is on the west side (the dry side) of the island. The place we were staying at was in the north, near Honakaa (which is east of Waimea), so we had a bit of a drive to get there (especially when someone inadvertently left their suitcase behind at the car rental place, and we had to turn around to get it 😫). When we were finally able to have dinner, it was already dark and we picked one of the only places that was still open, Big island Brewhaus. This is a very casual small-ish place in Waimea (also known as Kamuela to avoid the confusion with the Waimeas on the other islands). They brew their own beers on the premises and won a ton of awards, which are proudly displayed on the walls. The brewery has been around since 2011 and was founded by the opening brewer of Maui Brewing (which I didn't know at the time, but makes perfect sense because they have at least one beer that is strikingly similar... the discussion about non compete clauses comes to mind! But I digress.). 

I had tried their beers during  previous trips to the Big Island (they are sold in the local supermarkets), but it was my first time going to the brewery and eating there. We got some beers of course. I forgot to take pictures of the menu, so I added the descriptions from the website in italics, together with my tasting notes.

Paniolo Pale Ale (Big Island Brewhaus)

PANIOLO PALE ALE

PALE ALE | 5.7% abv | 40 IBU | Draft & Cans
Our Hawaiian cowboy’s favorite. Refreshing and bold. American Cascade, Cashmere and Citra hops bring tropical fruit and wildflower flavors. A touch of Munich & crystal malt add depth. Quenchworthy.

My tasting notes: resin, hay, lemon, malty, metallic, gravel, musty, tropical. I gave it 3.5 / 5

Red Giant (Big Island Brewhaus)

RED GIANT IPA

RED IPA | 6.8% abv | 53 IBU| Draft & Cans
Our sun will be a red giant in 5 billion years, this hoppy red ale is a Red Giant now. Brewed with a rich blend of light and dark caramel malts and a full dose of American hops, it finishes with dry hop and toffee flavors. Gold Medal 2014 and 2020 U.S. Open Beer Championships

My tasting notes: very hoppy, resin, bitter caramel, sap, resinous, malty. 3.25/5

Irie Irish stout (Big Island Brewhaus)

IRIE IRISH STOUT

IRISH STOUT | 5.2% abv | 22 IBU | Draft Only
Named for Jamaica’s all’s good feeling and Ireland’s favorite beer style, it’s a subtly rich, black ale with a light body and coffee-chocolate-like flavors; finishes creamy-dry. Served through a nitrogen faucet that creates a thick, long-lasting head.

My tasting notes: creamy, tea, roasted flavors, ash, burnt cocoa, coffee. 3.75/5

I had a poke bowl for my dinner. It was not fancy by any means (and oversauced), but the ahi tuna (hiding under the furikake / seaweed) was wonderful. That's one thing about Hawaii, the local fish is always amazing. 

Poke bowl (Big Island Brewhaus)

DA KINE LOADED POKE BOWL 

Haus-made poke with finely ground macnuts over white rice, with avocado, edamame, wakame, furikake, tomato, cucumber, carrots, wasabi aioli, sriracha aioli, and unagi sauce

My favorite thing about the meal, other than the fish and the beers, was the friendly vibe of the place which was packed full of locals. There was a group of beer enthusiasts at the bar (including possibly one of the owners?) that was having a great time, and it was relaxed and unpretentious. 

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

We arrived late on a Wednesday night at the Kona airport, which is on the west side (the dry side) of the island. The place we were staying at was in the north, near Honakaa (which is east of Waimea), so we had a bit of a drive to get there (especially when someone inadvertently left their suitcase behind at the car rental place, and we had to turn around to get it 😫). When we were finally able to have dinner, it was already dark and we picked one of the only places that was still open, Big island Brewhaus. This is a very casual small-ish place in Waimea (also known as Kamuela to avoid the confusion with the Waimeas on the other islands). They brew their own beers on the premises and won a ton of awards, which are proudly displayed on the walls. The brewery has been around since 2011 and was founded by the opening brewer of Maui Brewing (which I didn't know at the time, but makes perfect sense because they have at least one beer that is strikingly similar... the discussion about non compete clauses comes to mind! But I digress.). 

I had tried their beers during  previous trips to the Big Island (they are sold in the local supermarkets), but it was my first time going to the brewery and eating there. We got some beers of course. I forgot to take pictures of the menu, so I added the descriptions from the website in italics, together with my tasting notes.

Paniolo Pale Ale (Big Island Brewhaus)

PANIOLO PALE ALE

PALE ALE | 5.7% abv | 40 IBU | Draft & Cans
Our Hawaiian cowboy’s favorite. Refreshing and bold. American Cascade, Cashmere and Citra hops bring tropical fruit and wildflower flavors. A touch of Munich & crystal malt add depth. Quenchworthy.

My tasting notes: resin, hay, lemon, malty, metallic, gravel, musty, tropical. I gave it 3.5 / 5

Red Giant (Big Island Brewhaus)

RED GIANT IPA

RED IPA | 6.8% abv | 53 IBU| Draft & Cans
Our sun will be a red giant in 5 billion years, this hoppy red ale is a Red Giant now. Brewed with a rich blend of light and dark caramel malts and a full dose of American hops, it finishes with dry hop and toffee flavors. Gold Medal 2014 and 2020 U.S. Open Beer Championships

My tasting notes: very hoppy, resin, bitter caramel, sap, resinous, malty. 3.25/5

Irie Irish stout (Big Island Brewhaus)

IRIE IRISH STOUT

IRISH STOUT | 5.2% abv | 22 IBU | Draft Only
Named for Jamaica’s all’s good feeling and Ireland’s favorite beer style, it’s a subtly rich, black ale with a light body and coffee-chocolate-like flavors; finishes creamy-dry. Served through a nitrogen faucet that creates a thick, long-lasting head.

My tasting notes: creamy, tea, roasted flavors, ash, burnt cocoa, coffee. 3.75/5

I had a poke bowl for my dinner. It was not fancy by any means (and oversauced), but the ahi tuna (hiding under the furikake / seaweed) was wonderful. That's one thing about Hawaii, the local fish is always amazing. 

Poke bowl (Big Island Brewhaus)

DA KINE LOADED POKE BOWL 

Haus-made poke with finely ground macnuts over white rice, with avocado, edamame, wakame, furikake, tomato, cucumber, carrots, wasabi aioli, sriracha aioli, and unagi sauce

My favorite thing about the meal, other than the fish and the beers, was the friendly vibe of the place which was packed full of locals. There was a group of beer enthusiasts at the bar (including possibly one of the owners?) that was having a great time, and it was relaxed and unpretentious.