• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No use by date on soy sauce

I was looking at this soy sauce, Lee Kum Kee (Professional) Premium Light Soy Sauce, on the supplier website.  The labels shown don't say how long it can be kept once opened.  Has anybody got some and can tell me if their bottle shows more info?

Soy sauce isn’t going to grow any pathogens that would cause a safety issue.
Quality wise, the shelf life depends on how you store it. Well-sealed in the fridge? Sitting on a restaurant table in a sunny window with the cap ajar?
I had a bottle with a flip cap that stopped sealing well so there was more evaporation and oxidation which had a noticeable effect on the flavor. 

Here's an article from Pearl River Bridge, a company that makes decent quality products: Does Soy Sauce Go Bad? All About Soy Sauce Shelf Life

A bottle I purchased ~ 3 months ago has a best by date of July 2025. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

How long can you keep it once opened?

From the article I linked to above:

Typically, an unopened bottle of soy sauce can last from 18 months to three years when stored in a cool, dry place. However, its peak flavor is best enjoyed within the first year of its production date. Once opened, the clock starts ticking faster. To enjoy the freshest taste and aroma, it’s advisable to use up an opened bottle of regular soy sauce within three to six months. Storing it in the refrigerator after opening can help retain its quality for a bit longer. When fresh soy sauce has been properly refrigerated, it’s ideal to replace it after using it for 2 or 3 years at the maximum

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1