• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Having been asked about the kitchen in my new apartment in China which I mentioned in the Dinner 2024 topic and not wanting to derail that topic, I have started this new one.

IMG_20240118_194931.thumb.jpg.9ae89dd14226a0a7217867de592fe905.jpg

This is how I found it on my arrival.

It has long intrigued me that despite the importance most Chinese people place upon their food culture, their favourite topic of conversation (along with money), their domestic kitchens seem almost an afterthought.

This one is, shall I say, compact. It is however, larger than the one I just left. I loathed that kitchen.

So, to answer some of your questions.

@dcarch asked

That is a serious exhaust hood above the stove for two burners, or is that also a microwave inside there? It that also an exhaust fan on the window wall?

Looks like a very functional and bright kitchen. I assume the refrigerator is behind you where the picture was taken.

That is a standard exhaust hood in these parts. Stir frying requires powerful hoods. No microwaves involved. Yes, the hood is supplemented by an exhaust fan.

The fridge is, as almost all fridges are here, located in the sitting room and by the front door

IMG_20240119_090855.thumb.jpg.3e5c7bdd39bd097cba49dc5da7e08600.jpg

@Katie Meadow asked

Looks very nice and serviceable. Great to have big windows over the sink and counter. Just curious, it seems to me that your last move wasn't very long ago, but my sense of time is getting less reliable. And I've been living in the same house since 1986, so moving is something I barely remember how to do. Why did you move again? And so happy you are back to cooking!

Yes, I too like the windows but the view isn't very inspiring.

IMG_20240119_091710.thumb.jpg.266892619c132db23f52e9e3e5adaea0.jpg

I last moved three years ago almost to the day and, at that time, my health was beginning to go awry, leading me to make a bad decision. I hated almost everything about the dump from day one but was tied into a three year contract. I am delighted to have moved, despite the inevitable stress. 

Right now, I have to get all these boxes emptied and the contents put in their appropriate places. The kitchen is the priority, of course. I'll post another photo when it is to my liking. Right now, it looks like a war zone.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Having been asked about the kitchen in my new apartment in China which I mentioned in the Dinner 2024 topic and not wanting to derail that topic, I have started this new one.

It has long intrigued me that despite the importance most Chinese people place upon their food culture, their favourite topic of conversation (along with money), their domestic kitchens seem almost an afterthought.

This one is, shall I say, compact. It is however, larger than the one I just left. I loathed that kitchen.

@dcarch asked

That is a serious exhaust hood above the stove for two burners, or is that also a microwave inside there? It that also an exhaust fan on the window wall?

Looks like a very functional and bright kitchen. I assume the refrigerator is behind you where the picture was taken.

That is a standard exhaust hood in these parts. Stir requires powerful hoods. No microwaves involved. Yes, the good is supplemented by an exhaust fan.

The fridge is, as almost all fridges are here, located in the sitting room and by the front door

@Katie Meadow asked

Looks very nice and serviceable. Great to have big windows over the sink and counter. Just curious, it seems to me that your last move wasn't very long ago, but my sense of time is getting less reliable. And I've been living in the same house since 1986, so moving is something I barely remember how to do. Why did you move again? And so happy you are back to cooking!

I last moved three years ago almost to the day and, at that time, my health was beginning to go awry, leading me to make a bad decision. I hated almost everything about the dump from day one but was tied into a three year contract. I am delighted to have moved, despite the inevitable stress. 

Right now, I have to get all these boxes emptied and the contents put in their appropriate places. The kitchen is the priority, of course. I'll post another photo when it is to my liking. Right now, it looks like a war zone.

liuzhou

liuzhou

@dcarch asked

That is a standard exhaust hood in these parts. Stir requires powerful hoods. No microwaves involved.

@Katie Meadow asked