• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Our back-yard neighbors gave us sone tomatoes so I told Charlie that I was going to make Pico de Gallo with a couple of them.  He said "lets have tacos with it then" I said OK and headed to the Mesican grocery because their avocados are ripe enough to use the same day and you can't rely on getting them like that anywhere else.  While I was there, I decided to get some of their Pico de Gallo because I didn't feel like making both Guacamole and a salsa before making the tacos. Also Pico de Gallo is better the next day. I'll make some tomorrow and see if I like theirs better.  I am pretty sure garden fresh tomatoes will be really good for as long as they last.  I've never had good luck with growing my own.

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Our back-yard neighbors gave us sone tomatoes so I told Charlie that I was going to make Pico de Gallo with a couple of them.  He said "lets have tacos with it then" I said OK and headed to the Mesican grocery because their avocados are ripe enough to use the same day and you can't rely on getting them like that anywhere else.  While I was there, I decided to get some of their Pico de Gallo because I didn't feel like making both Guacamole and a salsa before making the tacos. Also Pico de Gallo is better the next day. I'll make some tomorrow and see if I like theirs better.  I am pretty sure garden fresh tomatoes will be really good for as long as they last.  I've never had good luck with growing my own.

I make taco meat by cooking half a small onion until transparent, then adding a pound of hamburger and cook it until browned through.  I add Spanish Gardens taco seasoning until it  looks red enough.  Then I add about 3 heaping tablespoons of refried beans and stir them in. Nest I add  a taco sauce instead ot the water that the taco mix asks you to add. It's done when the liquid in the taco sauce has cooked down.

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg