• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

42 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Interesting. Your diep ca looks, to me, more like rau ram.  All the diep ca I've seen in Vietnam has more round, heart shaped leaves rather than the longer tapered leaves shown.

You are absolutely correct. Brain fart. Told you it's too hot. I have edited. Thanks for letting me know.

liuzhou

liuzhou

34 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Interesting. Your diep ca looks, to me, more like rau ram.  All the diep ca I've seen in Vietnam has more round, heart shaped leaves rather than the longer tapered leaves shown.

Hold on, please. Checking something. Will edit.

liuzhou

liuzhou

32 minutes ago, KennethT said:

It's Houttunya cordata. fish mint. Very common around here and, unlike other 'Vietnamese' herbs, I've always been able to find this, although the roots / stems are more popular than the leaves here, although in other provinces the leaves are more popular. Maybe, a slightly different cultivar, but it's what my Vietnamese (Hanoi) colleagues in the university were delighted to find and they were sure it was diếp cá, it has that slightly fish smell you get from diếp cá. In fact, it was them who taught me the Vietnamese name.

liuzhou

liuzhou

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

It's Houttunya cordosis. fish mint. Very common around here and, unlike other 'Vietnamese' herbs, I've always been able to find this, although the roots / stems are more popular than the leaves here, although in other provinces the leaves are more popular. Maybe, a slightly different cultivar, but it's what my Vietnamese (Hanoi) colleagues in the university were delighted to find and they were sure it was diếp cá, it has that slightly fish smell you get from diếp cá. In fact, it was them who taught me the Vietnamese name.