• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

You may think at first, that I have somehow lost my mind (again) and posted this in the wrong topic. Not so. As will become clear should you read on.

Lunch today required a certain diplomacy. I was invited to lunch by the British Consulate-General in Guangzhou along with one of her junior consular colleagues, a young man from Wales; and the C-G’s assistant who was a beautiful young Chinese woman who spoke perfect English. The hardships I endure!

This lunch took place in the local Hyatt hotel, in which they were staying and which I can see from my sitting room window. After a few pleasantries we settled into a private dining room and soon settled into a long and very pleasant conversation, as food arrived. The C-G and I did most of the conversing, but everyone was included. I had checked out the C-G on the consulate’s website and learned she had studied just around the corner from my London apartment, which made for a nice ice-breaker. We then moved on to how I ended up here, why here and why I have stayed so long.

The food was local fare, but I didn’t think it an appropriate venue for practising my food photography, much as it needs it.

However, as we were chatting so much, I don't actually remember eating so much. But there was a memorable dish of Hunan style smoked anchovies, which we all enjoyed, then leapt into a discussion about real Hunan food, that province being an important part of the story of my life in China and also covered by her remit (beside the Embassy, which is obviously in Beijing, there are three British consulates in China, located in Shanghai, Wuhan and Guangzhou each covering different parts. Guangzhou covers my part).

Inevitably, time came for us to go our separate ways as my new found friends had a train to catch to Guangxi’s capital, Nanning for much more important meetings there. They insisted (in true Chinese style) that I take the uneaten food home to save it from going to waste and so that I didn’t need to cook dinner.

So here we have some of what didn’t get eaten, but I am now eating for dinner.

_20240709181852.thumb.jpg.e7f001917ef39c08e75e548bfd3b0fef.jpg

Duck with peppers

_20240709181905.thumb.jpg.7334fb58a6b1b3a3b6362f123932831c.jpg

Shrimp

_20240709181922.thumb.jpg.e7dae96e15f67373a779e4734e1b70d1.jpg

Some sort of Braised Beef. Rather good!

_20240709181933.thumb.jpg.39832706f64362104869ded188e3310c.jpg

Fruit

There were several other dishes which apparantly were eaten whilst I was distracted. Apart from the smoked anchovies which I do remember us eating, there was an excellent mushroom soup, a dish of okra, another of unidentifiable greenery and a steamed fish.

Like most hotel restaurants here, especially the international names, their restaurant leans heavily to the Cantonese side - another reason I rarely eat in hotel restaurants.

Still an interesting an unexpected day. I had half expected a rather more formal, perhaps stuffy lunch and it turned out to be exactly the opposite.

liuzhou

liuzhou

You may think at first, that I have somehow lost my mind (again) and posted this in the wrong topic. Not so. As will become clear should you read on.

Lunch today required a certain diplomacy. I was invited to lunch by the British Consulate-General in Guangzhou along with one of her junior consular colleagues, a young man from Wales; and the C-G’s assistant who was a beautiful young Chinese woman who spoke perfect English. The hardships I endure!

This lunch took place in the local Hyatt hotel, in which they were staying and which I can see from my sitting room window. After a few pleasantries we settled into a private dining room and soon settled into a long and very pleasant conversation, as food arrived. The C-G and I did most of the conversing, but everyone was included. I had checked out the C-G on the consulate’s website and learned she had studied just around the corner from my London apartment, which made for a nice ice-breaker. We then moved on to how I ended up here, why here and why I have stayed so long.

The food was local fare, but I didn’t think it an appropriate venue for practising my food photography, much as it needs it.

However, as we were chatting so much, I don't actually eating so much. But there was a memorable dish of Hunan style smoked anchovies, which we all enjoyed, then leapt into a discussion about real Hunan food, that province being an important part of the story of my life in China and also covered by her remit (beside the Embassy, which is obviously in Beijing, there are three British consulates in China, located in Shanghai, Wuhan and Guangzhou each covering different parts. Guangzhou covers my part).

Inevitably, time came for us to go our separate ways as my new found friends had a train to catch to Guangxi’s capital, Nanning for much more important meetings there. They insisted (in true Chinese style) that I take the uneaten food home to save it from going to waste and so that I didn’t need to cook dinner.

Duck with peppers

Shrimp

Fruit

There were several other dishes which apparantly were eaten whilst I was distracted. Apart from the smoked anchovies which I do remember us eating, there was an excellent mushroom soup, a dish of okra, another of unidentifiable greenery and a steamed fish.

Like most hotel restaurants here, especially the international names, their restaurant leans heavily to the Cantonese side - another reason I rarely eat in hotel restaurants.

Still an interesting an unexpected day. I had half expected a rather more formal, perhaps stuffy lunch and it turned out to be exactly the opposite.

liuzhou

liuzhou

However, as we were chatting so much, I don't actually eating so much. But there was a memorable dish of Hunan style smoked anchovies, which we all enjoyed, then leapt into a discussion about real Hunan food, that province being an important part of the story of my life in China and also covered by her remit (beside the Embassy, which is obviously in Beijing, there are three British consulates in China, located in Shanghai, Wuhan and Guangzhou each covering different parts. Guangzhou covers my part).

Duck with peppers

Shrimp

Fruit

Still an interesting an unexpected day. I had half expected a rather more forrmal, perhaps stuffy lunch and it turned out to be exactly the opposite.